Super Fan?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ninjavwc

ninjavwc

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Okay, so I'm curious how many people that play this game would consider themselves Star Wars "Super Fans."

I'm also curious what other Star Wars hobby games people are coming from.

Personally, I've been patiently awaiting a decent Star Wars game since Decipher shuttered its doors taking the Star Wars: Customizable Card Game with them. :(

I've dabbled in M:TG since then, but this game has me really excited.

So far, the only thing that has me scratching my head is K flips.

Was Tallon Roll copwritten or something?

#2 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Not a super fan, other than the movies, the original of which I saw 17 times as a teenager in the seventies. Collected some of the toys and comics and bought into the Sta Wars Starship Battles Game. This is my first relapse since then.

Tallon roll is a different maneuver than the Koiogran turn at least according to Wookieepedia. The first was like a side-slip with a hard blind turn behind a tighter turning opponent, which may or may not put you back on there tail or possible drop you right in-front of them. The K-turn basically killed your forward momentum and flipped you 180 degrees pointed in the direction of a pursuing ship.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#3 KnightShift

KnightShift

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Never got a chance to play it  but I used to collect the heck out of Decipher's Star Wars: Customizable Card Game!  Am still quite thrilled to own a Shawn Valdez card (definitely one of the coolest things that Lucasfilm ever did :-)

Haven't played anything Star Wars-ish tabletop gamewise though, not until X-Wing Miniatures.  Just got into it and I'm loving the heck out of it!!  Must get more Y-Wings though :-)

For the past few years I've been into Warhammer 40,000 (dedicated Ork player) and Monsterpocalypse.

As for being Star Wars fanboy, well… a few years ago I ran for school board here and made this TV campaign commercial:

I'll defer to your judgment :-)

#4 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

this is my number one game right now. the theme is superb. im a big fan of the original trilogy and have even been in a starwars fanfilm, shown at Comic-con in 2012. i think this classes as a super fan :)

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#5 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

I've played this game since I heard about it, had the card game pre-ordered (two boxes) since the day it was announced (still haven't gotten to play it yet), DMed some and played a lot of EotE and the older WotC system (NTM having every book for the Saga system and the core from the original D20), and played the older SWM game for nearly 4 years every week. I used to be able to build full SWM squads in my head without any references, due to having the point values for most of the figures memorized. I have made 3 or 4 full 60-piece sets worth the stats (though only 1 of those sets was actually star wars themed.) I have been to GenCon 3 times, each time specifically to play a star wars game. I have old SWM cards signed by Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamil. I have over 100 books and another 100 comics. I've played every star wars computer game and video game that has come out in the past 15 years. I know more trivia than any other person I have met with one exception (and this guy knows the lengths of the starships…) I've seen every episode of the clone wars (both series) and have probably watched the original trilogy over 10 times. You guys be the judge, but I'm most like some category above "super fan".

#6 ninjavwc

ninjavwc

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

WOW!

We have some SUPER super fans here amongst us.

By these standards, I am definitely not a super fan, however I would rate myself an avid fan.

I have watched the original trilogy enough times to be able to quote every line (and sound effect).

I played the old X-Wing PC game incessantly and was really good at it.

Between my brother and I, we collected almost every Hasbro action figure and ship from the 90's around the Special Edition era, and then we started to drop off when Episode 1 came out.

I've never been beaten at Star Wars Trivial Pursuit (it's actually pretty easy so that's not saying much).

I've attended Fan Expo in Toronto on numerous occasions and have had the privilege of meeting Peter Mayhew, David Prowse, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels, Warwick Davis, Jeremy Bulloch, etc.

Oh, and I loved the first issue of the new Dark Horse comic book: Star Wars. Anybody else have a chance to read this comic?

I'm excited to hear from more Super Fans!

#7 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

ninjavwc said:

Oh, and I loved the first issue of the new Dark Horse comic book: Star Wars. Anybody else have a chance to read this comic?

I read it, I liked it and I'm looking forward to more stories "in-between" the well known stories.

#8 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

Wow. Yeah. Probably not a super fan, but I am an avid fan. I am only playing X-wing because of the the theme - Wings of War never interested me in the least. I also bought heavily into Starship Battles (a little regret there), but I managed to hold myself back from the land-based Star Wars Miniatures because I was buying a lot of LEGO Star Wars at the time.

One summer between 6th and 7th grade Budgernaut and I were bored and decided to give Star Wars a try (our parents had recently bought the trilogy from CostCo). I fell instantly in love with it. The next morning we watched The Empire Strikes Back, and the next morning Return of the Jedi, and over and over every day for the entire summer. That summer I also got into the Decipher CCG. I loved collecting those cards! My friends and I would play without customizing our decks; we used all of our cards and had massive battles for hours at a time. Good memories. Reading the lore for the cards, then looking for the characters in the movies provided endless hours of entertainment.

More recently, I've tried Star Wars: The Card Game out a few times, but it just doesn't pull me in the way X-wing does. This game is definitely a winner in my book.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#9 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Pretty big fan. Star Wars in 77 was the first movie I saw in a theater as a little kid and it stuck with me. Read the books, played the video games, and collected SW figures the whole tiome. Playing this game now after having played the WOTC miniatures games for years. Did the Decipher CCG before that. Using the Death Star to Blow Away Hoth (guess thier shield wasn't strong enough to stop that orbital bombardment) is my favorite moment from my time playing the game.

#10 Acebaur

Acebaur

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I consider myself a pretty big fan. I've been watching it for just about as long as I can remember and I have lots of stuff at my house from old toys to a 7 foot long fathead on my wall, Force FX lightsabers, etc… I'm also seriously considering getting a Star Wars tattoo.

#11 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Acebaur said:

I consider myself a pretty big fan. I've been watching it for just about as long as I can remember and I have lots of stuff at my house from old toys to a 7 foot long fathead on my wall, Force FX lightsabers, etc… I'm also seriously considering getting a Star Wars tattoo.

Starwars tatto = superfan (or Sith Lord). Lol

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#12 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I would consider myself a highly avid fan, being that I grew up with the "original" Original Trilogy where . . . here's a shocker for ya . . .  Han shot first.  I was six years old when Star Wars was released on May 25, 1977.  You could say I was born at the right time to be awed by the spectical that is Star Wars, and take full advantage of the Star Wars franchise.  I had almost every toy that Kenner (not Hasbro) released.  My mother would bring some of my toys, the fighters (X-Wing and TIE Fighter) mainly, to my elementary school during recess.  I owe the Star Wars Saga a debt I will never be able to repay.  My love of Star Wars is responsible for the friendships I have to this day, and that "network" continues to grow.

As a kid, we had had an Atari 2600, so naturally I had most of the Star Wars games from the Star Wars: The Arcade Game and Empire Strikes Back.  I even had the Jedi Arena game cartridge.  I didn't get into the Star Wars Role-playing Game by West End Games until the Second Edition, which still has to be my favorite.  I played the Star Wars Miniatures Game from Wizards of the Coast from "day one".  I stopped playing when Wizards lost the license, and left it alone.  I still have the minis in storage, though.  I do admire those fans, many of them are friends of mine, that try to continue line with the "V-Sets".  So when I heard that Fantasy Flight Games picked up the license, and was creating totally new games, my group jumped at the chance to 'test it for for Fantasy Flight.  So when it comes to Star Wars gaming, I haven't looked back.  So yeah, I am excited to see what Fantasy Fight has coming for us.

#13 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

I saw the Sw movies at teh theaters when I was a kid, and had all the neat old toys.  Not a super fan however and have very little regard for George Lucas writing abilities.

Enimo Et Fide

#14 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

DoubleNot7 said:

I saw the Sw movies at teh theaters when I was a kid, and had all the neat old toys.  Not a super fan however and have very little regard for George Lucas writing abilities.

yeah i agre about George Lucas. It is his 'baby' and his creative genius is without question but u get the feeling that he is more of a techno geek than a director of people eh? Also his decision with the Blueray release adding material to the original movies is just silly. Having said that his creative teen that have worked on the Clone Wars Cartoon series is brilliant (except for that sill snake in Season4 which was almosta  tribute to Jaja imo) and you can only wonder what might of happened with the much maligned prequels if he had of had a similar team.

Lord Vader

#15 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

The_Brown_Bomber said:

yeah i agre about George Lucas. It is his 'baby' and his creative genius is without question but u get the feeling that he is more of a techno geek than a director of people eh? Also his decision with the Blueray release adding material to the original movies is just silly. Having said that his creative teen that have worked on the Clone Wars Cartoon series is brilliant (except for that sill snake in Season4 which was almosta  tribute to Jaja imo) and you can only wonder what might of happened with the much maligned prequels if he had of had a similar team.

The Clone War creative team is brilliant, and your right, if as much thought had been put into the 3 prequel movies they would have been much better, but how couldn't they.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#16 vojvoda

vojvoda

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

Not a super fan of most of the games in the Genre. That being said I have played Star Wars Miniatures by WWG back in the day. I have written home rules for Hoth and have run huge games using over 1000 figures per side. Currently working on Clone Wars rules. For the past few years I have been playing Star Wars Home rules for Yavin using SWMB fighters figures, and while I like the mechanisms I was using, X-Wing plays much more eloquently then those I have written. As far as X-Wing goes I guess I am a big fan. Right now our "Fleets" stands at about 22 X Wings, and 36 Tie fighters with 6-8 of both Y-Wings and Tie Advanced. I have two Millennium Falcons (Revelle models) and 3 Imperial Shuttles from F-Toys. Working on a large game of the run on the Death Star. Will be on a table about 24 feet long by 6 feet wide. I plan to adapt the rules in order to use the larger Galoob 25mm star fighters down the road.  Still in development is my adaptation of altitude rules for X-Wing. So yes I guess I am an Uber Fan.

VR
James Mattes

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS