• 3,264 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3905

#2 Ire

Ire

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Like the way this agenda work, too bad it will need few more CP's to flesh itself to work with enough naval characters. Anyone else waiting to make a naval epic battle deck since this thing is once per phase? ;)

#3 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Oh, the trickery that we'll see since you get to search the Hold for whatever you want! 

Oh, and mill got hosed.

#4 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Not really. Assuming 13/30 cards on setup and draw, my opponent has 17 cards left in his draw deck. Milling that away to strip him of 2cards/turn draw is very easy. Sure, the payoff isn't as great - he still has a way of accessing 1 card/turn (but after the marshalling phase and it's challenge dependent), and I'm less likely to trigger specific mill based effects

Overall, I'd say Mill vs Black Sails is a good match up for mill!

#5 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Black Sails decks can be easily milled.  If you are the opponent, choose the biggest stack to become The Hold.  Then you are going to be milling away at a deck that should have less than 30 cards in it and that shouldn't take very long at all.  A Raiding Fleet will remove almost 1/3 of the deck by itself if you happen to play one.

#6 playgroundpsychotic

playgroundpsychotic

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Current Naval character count:

Neutral: 1 (+1 forthcoming)

Bara: 1 (+2)

Lanni: 2 (+1)

Targ: 2 (+0)

Stark: 2 (+0)

GJ: 3 (+0)

Martell: None

Supporting Plot: 1 (+1)

They've had worse roll-outs for new agendas (cough chargendas cough). There's probably tonnes more to come.

I'm also not bothered by its potential weakness to mill. If only certain other agendas had some inherent liabilities.

#7 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

I think the agenda allows you to build larger decks(depending on the numbero f naval characters there are).  The whole "search and grab" from the hold is a huge advantage that can sort of overcome the larger deck stuff.  The thing that scares me about building a larger deck is if I am adding additional locations and events, if I get stuck with the majority of those in my "deck" instead of my "hold", I may be choked out of not drawing many characters.

#8 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Bomb said:

I think the agenda allows you to build larger decks(depending on the numbero f naval characters there are).  The whole "search and grab" from the hold is a huge advantage that can sort of overcome the larger deck stuff.  The thing that scares me about building a larger deck is if I am adding additional locations and events, if I get stuck with the majority of those in my "deck" instead of my "hold", I may be choked out of not drawing many characters.

You could build a large deck with nearly all characters, and then use the agenda's effect to search for events and locations. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#9 Rogue Cypher

Rogue Cypher

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I was hoping while reading that Agenda it would have a last sentence of "While The Black Sails is your Agenda, your Draw Deck cannot have cards discarded from it in any way from other character, location, attachment, and agenda effects." Just to protect it some. I still think Mill is going to hurt the Hell out of this thing… You're gonna have to play with a 200 card deck.

#10 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

A smaller deck does make it easier to mill, but in some ways it seems like a boon to me to have a smaller deck against mill; as we all know, milling someone out doesnt win this game, mill in part relies on triggering their own effects thru milling, so if they can't draw with Euron and FMS or claim power with Corpse Lake then the mill deck may just grind to a halt while you continue to trigger effects that get cards from the Hold…?  I guess it will depend on how many other effects let you access the Hold.

#11 Rehlow

Rehlow

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Mill them to nothing, Valar, no more Naval icons. Shouldn't be hard to win unopposed challenges against an opponent with zero card draw.

An eighty card deck split in half is an interesting idea. I wonder if it will pan out.

#12 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Rehlow said:

Mill them to nothing, Valar, no more Naval icons. Shouldn't be hard to win unopposed challenges against an opponent with zero card draw.

Yeah, in this mill-heavy environment this agenda has no shot.

#13 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

We were discussing this at my local store tonight before their weelky AGOT tourney. Considering this happens as soon as you reveal houses and agendas, this particular agenda is hard to swallow, as you could easily end up with no setup and/or no characters in your draw deck ( all in your hold). Mill isn't the only caveat for this one.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#14 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

stormwolf27 said:

We were discussing this at my local store tonight before their weelky AGOT tourney. Considering this happens as soon as you reveal houses and agendas, this particular agenda is hard to swallow, as you could easily end up with no setup and/or no characters in your draw deck ( all in your hold).

I don't get it. Given a random distribution, how is drawing 7 cards from the top of a half of your deck any different than drawing 7 cards from the top of your deck. If my shuffle is that unlucky that all my characters are clumped together in one half of the deck, then I'm screwed with or without the agenda. Admittedly, in the case of a terrible setup hand an unlucky distribution of cards between your Hold and your draw deck, a mulligan will do less to alleviate the situation. But really, that's a deckbuilding issue. If you have bad setups with this agenda, you'll have them without the agenda as well.

#15 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Saturnine said:

stormwolf27 said:

We were discussing this at my local store tonight before their weelky AGOT tourney. Considering this happens as soon as you reveal houses and agendas, this particular agenda is hard to swallow, as you could easily end up with no setup and/or no characters in your draw deck ( all in your hold).

I don't get it. Given a random distribution, how is drawing 7 cards from the top of a half of your deck any different than drawing 7 cards from the top of your deck. If my shuffle is that unlucky that all my characters are clumped together in one half of the deck, then I'm screwed with or without the agenda. Admittedly, in the case of a terrible setup hand an unlucky distribution of cards between your Hold and your draw deck, a mulligan will do less to alleviate the situation. But really, that's a deckbuilding issue. If you have bad setups with this agenda, you'll have them without the agenda as well.

I understand this, and I don't typically have bad setups (there's that one game in about 40 where my characters retreat to the middle of the deck, but it happens). My point is there's too much risk of not drawing anything that can allow you to get something out of the hold at the moment. There will be, I'm sure, more options later, but for this first CP, I think this agenda will sit by the wayside for a bit. I'm just underwhelmed at its current playability. Perhaps FFG should have waited a couple packs to fill a CP slot with this one.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#16 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

That argument I can understand. Given the reliance on the naval enhancement, this will probably need a few chapter packs to get going. Maester's Path wasn't too hot with just the first pack either (though perhaps still more functional than Black Sails).

#17 Alando

Alando

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

It's good support for combo decks. Either search the card you need out the Hold or get it quickly from your reduced draw deck. I don't see why people would use more than 60 cards though, it trades better hold choice for crappier draw deck efficiency. Unless Mill gets crazy popular.

#18 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

Saturnine said:

Without this agenda, all the setup efficient cards being at the bottom of your deck does not hurt you upon your first 7 card draw because you can mulligan and reshuffle the entire deck to get another chance at redistributing those setup friendly cards.  With this agenda, what your Hold contains is permanent as soon as the deck is split.  If your first shuffle puts most setup friendly cards in one half of the deck, and that half is chosen for your Hold, you cannot mulligan back into those cards period.  So, to me, that is completely different than using your normal deck because there is the added chance that a mulligan will only allow you to redraw a very similar hand to the one you just mulligan'd away.  If your deck before the agenda is minimum deck size of 60 and you split the decks evenly, you are now drawing 7 out of 30 cards. With a mulligan you have a significantly better chance to draw some, if not most, of the same cards you tossed away. 

To me, this agenda completely changes the value of a mulligan.  I just can't decide if it is more or if it is less.

For example, let's say I draw four cards that I can place during setup.  My chance to redraw one of those cards from that setup hand is double compared to a regular 60 card deck.  So, is it better to mulligan decent setup friendly hands knowing that my chances to redraw the cards I want to keep are doubled? 

Just some food for thought.

#19 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

Bomb said:

To me, this agenda completely changes the value of a mulligan.

A fact that I did acknowledge in my post, though only briefly. I do believe the value of mulligan goes down a little bit, but if your setup hand is crap there's still a good chance your setup will improve even with a mulligan out of 30 cards, assuming your deck is built properly and the bad setup hand is really a fluke.

#20 BBSB12

BBSB12

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

So what's the drawback of this agenda? Other that it can potentially never trigger.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS