Photo

The hardest Ancient One you killed in combat?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

Who is the hardest AO you defeated in final combat?

For me, Chaugnar Faugn.

I have also won over Rhan-Tegoth, Eihort and Glaaki.

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

Without using Epic Battle, I've killed Y'Golonac.

With Epic Battle, I'd say Yibb-Tstll and Rhan-Tegoth were the hardest.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

Nidhögg said:

Not many FB won here. Glaaki, Ybb, Daoloth & Hastur. Of the 157 games I logged, I had to engage FB only 12 times (most of whom when I was stil practicing the basics).

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

You are the Queen of Arkham!  I can't imagine that win ratio…but, someday…maybe… 

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

The Professor said:

You are the Queen of Arkham!  I can't imagine that win ratio…but, someday…maybe… 

::laughter:: guess I'm the only gal here posting, so it's kinda easy be queen :-P

still, I'll be happy only when I reach Avi's level. Sooner or later, I'll play the League again in the hard mode :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#6 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Julia said:

Nidhögg said:

Not many FB won here. Glaaki, Ybb, Daoloth & Hastur. Of the 157 games I logged, I had to engage FB only 12 times (most of whom when I was stil practicing the basics).

What? Have the AO only woken up 12/157 times during your games??? For me they wake up half of the times I play :P

#7 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Tibs said:

Without using Epic Battle, I've killed Y'Golonac.

With Epic Battle, I'd say Yibb-Tstll and Rhan-Tegoth were the hardest.

Cool. I was close to kill Y'Golonac my self in my last game.

I have only so far defeated Nyarlathothep in Epic Battle. I think it's a bit suicidal on greater AO:s. But great work there dude :)

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Nidhögg said:

What? Have the AO only woken up 12/157 times during your games??? For me they wake up half of the times I play :P

Ups. Yeah, I tend to play a little aggressively ::blushing in a baresark mode:: Adding Miskatonic Mythos and reducing the number of investigators I play from 5 to 4 has changed a little the balance, though

#9 Drakson

Drakson

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

My wife and I always play 2 investigators each. We beat Zhar once (or should I say twice), 3 investigators died and we were about down to our last dice roll. Beat Quachil Uttaus once and he seems hard because of the immunity but just seems plain wierd, I like him. Y'Golonac we beat once, very close. We used Epic cards all the time. Still we are not the best players, but AH is our favorite game. I sometimes don't know why we make it so hard on ourselves but it seems the harder the more enjoyment AH gives you, especially if you win.

#10 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Drakson said:

My wife and I always play 2 investigators each. We beat Zhar once (or should I say twice), 3 investigators died and we were about down to our last dice roll. Beat Quachil Uttaus once and he seems hard because of the immunity but just seems plain wierd, I like him. Y'Golonac we beat once, very close. We used Epic cards all the time. Still we are not the best players, but AH is our favorite game. I sometimes don't know why we make it so hard on ourselves but it seems the harder the more enjoyment AH gives you, especially if you win.

Did you beat Quachil Uttaus? Really!?

#11 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Julia said:

Nidhögg said:

Ups. Yeah, I tend to play a little aggressively ::blushing in a baresark mode:: Adding Miskatonic Mythos and reducing the number of investigators I play from 5 to 4 has changed a little the balance, though

You must be cheating or maybe you are just born lucky ;)

No, I believe you. I have discovered for myself that the game gets alot easier with more investigators. When me and my buddy played with only one investigator each we where lucky if we won half of the times. Now after I have tried solo-playing 6 investigators I have won 6/7 times. On the other hand, the AO has awoken 3 out of those 7 times….

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

Nidhögg said:

No, I believe you. I have discovered for myself that the game gets alot easier with more investigators. When me and my buddy played with only one investigator each we where lucky if we won half of the times. Now after I have tried solo-playing 6 investigators I have won 6/7 times. On the other hand, the AO has awoken 3 out of those 7 times….

::laughter:: I swear, I don't cheat. But I tend to play very aggressively. From turn 1, see who's starting with the most clues and focus on them, so that I can have two or three investigators ready to seal before turn 3. The others work for the party, cleaning the streets and occasionally shopping for items. I never shop for Allies, and rarely for Blessings (only in case there is an impossible to close gate or some heavy monster that's killing everyone, a la Riots), but I shop for clues. And I tend not to waste them on encounters and on fancy things: clues are for sealing, and that's it. Plus, I choose carefully which gates enter in and which not (OW are colour-coded, and the colours imply what's easier to be damaged, you know, red for Stamina, yellow for Sanity, blue for equipment and green are generally good). And I tend to planify at least two turns during the Upkeep, so that I have only a general design to follow, clear in my mind. And most of the time I play solo. This implies that I don't have to concord a general strategy with other people (my winning ratio drops drastically if others play with me. This doesn't mean that I don't enjoy these games, though). Plus, I often don't care about Rumors (unless they strike very early in the game) or Rifts or Dunwich Horrors of any kind. If you keep your mind focused on gates, you can easily win the game in 11-12 Mythos, so, even if you have the DH in play, you can simply ignore it.  If an emergency situation arises, then, ok, you think about what to do, but otherwise, just hit on the gates as strong as you can.  Finally, I had to suffer the pains of hell while playing Avi's League (that changed drastically the way I play), so returning to "normal" Arkham was not too difficult.

Generally speaking, FB is easier when you play less investigators, while sealing / closing victories are easier to score when your party is bigger. So technically, I'm really impressed by your 2 out of 3 FB victories wth 6 investigators :-)

#13 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Julia's seen the light after her affair with Kingsport burla !

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#14 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Dam said:

Julia's seen the light after her affair with Kingsport burla !

::laughter:: actually, Dam, you should get Kingsport especially for this! One extra board you can ignore for 3/4 of your games means a "free" extra investigator (board reduction factor helps!) to hit the gates (you can play 5 as if they were 4, so there is a lot of convenience) :-P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS