FFG's License

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 superradjoe

superradjoe

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

I know they have already included some expanded universe content, but does anyone know what FFG has actually licensed for this game?  Will we someday see a Darth Maul or Anakin Skywalker card?  I saw a video on cardgamedb.com once that claimed they only licensed the original trilogy, but that doesn't seem to make sense with things like Twi'lek Loyalist or Anzati Elite.

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

It is a legal agreement so none of us will ever know for sure but what we have been told is original trilogy and EU stuff from that timeline. 

I don't see how Twi'lek loyalist and Anzati don't fit within that. 

#3 superradjoe

superradjoe

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Where were we "told" that?

i referenced those two cards because off the top of my head they are characters not in the original trilogy 

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

Twi'lek loyalist is just a guy still loyal to the ideals of the Jedi and Old Republic. I am sure one was in the galaxy somewhere. 

Anzati are extremely long lived and there is one in the cantina scene in A New Hope. 

#5 Pedrus

Pedrus

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

It was great news to know that only original trilogy and expanded universe of this trilogy will be present in this game. 

Please no Darth Maul or Anakin in my deck.

#6 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:39 AM

Where (if anywhere) is this written?  If FFG has put in writing a promise that none of the Episode 1-3 stuff will ever enter the game then I am much more likely to buy a copy.  One reason I've held off is knowing that one day a Jar Jar card would appear and that that day I would have to burn all my cards.  :)

I haven't read the EU books, but it doesn't seem too difficult to imagine that Anakin might be mentioned in one of them.  He's not a character specific to the Episode 1-3 movies, he's just a younger version of a character that already exists.  Including him is no different than including a version of Luke as a child for instance.  It's not even very many years away from the New Hope time.

#7 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

I have no desire to see any prequel cards made.

Now some of the novels and comics, I would be a fan of seeing

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#8 Pedrus

Pedrus

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

Do not misunderstood me. I'm not talking about Anakin as EU may mention, I'm talking about episode 1-3 Anakin. Anyway this game is all about characters and situations during episodes 4-6.

Resuming, I don't want anything related with those episodes 1-3.

Please.

P.S: Please, please, please.

#9 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

dboeren said:

One reason I've held off is knowing that one day a Jar Jar card would appear and that that day I would have to burn all my cards.  :)

Why would you have to burn all your cards? Seems to me that if you wanted no Jar Jar in the game, you would only have to burn any objective set that features him.

#10 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

MarthWMaster said:

dboeren said:

One reason I've held off is knowing that one day a Jar Jar card would appear and that that day I would have to burn all my cards.  :)

Why would you have to burn all your cards? Seems to me that if you wanted no Jar Jar in the game, you would only have to burn any objective set that features him.

he's a drama queen cangrejo

#11 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

I would like to see prequel cards. Regardless of my feelings about them as films, an expanded card universe would be awesome. For instance, although the movie featuring Darth Maul might have been less than amazing, a Darth Maul card would be great. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#12 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Separate Clone Wars game for prequel stuff.

#13 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

Xenu's Paradox said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Separate Clone Wars game for prequel stuff.

That kind of leaves people like myself out in the cold, though: those of us who like the Old Republic era, 1000+ years prior to the films; or the Legacy era, several decades after them. You can't honestly think they're going to have a separate game for every era…can you?

I can live with the assumption that stuff like Mandalore the Ultimate, Nomi Sunrider, etc. will never appear in an FFG game (especially given the apparent fixture of their RPG properties in the Classic Era). But if they are ever to show up at all, I would much prefer that they appear in a (possibly stand-alone) expansion to this game, not in some other game where I have to learn a whole new set of rules just to play them. There also needs to be room for those of us who actually want cross-continuity stuff happening: Revan vs. Vader, etc.  If, however, FFG had to make an edict for appeasing purists that would make cards from this set illegal for sanctioned play, I think I could deal with that as well. Because while I love the Expanded Universe in all of its forms and content, I understand that a lot of this stuff is very troubling for some of the fandom. ;)

#14 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

So wait, people are already going nuts over the Emperor being able to Force Lightning Home One and Yoda being able to take down the Devastator, but we're okay with possibly having Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader Jango Fett and Boba Fett on the table at the same time?

#15 JZWINK

JZWINK

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

I have a different question.  Anyone have an idea of how long FFG has the Star Wars license for this game?  I read a comment somewhere recently that said Dark Horse will be losing their license to create Star Wars comic books within about a year when Disney takes over.  I was concerned that this game won't have legs past the Dark Mouse Lord taking over.

#16 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

DailyRich said:

So wait, people are already going nuts over the Emperor being able to Force Lightning Home One and Yoda being able to take down the Devastator, but we're okay with possibly having Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader Jango Fett and Boba Fett on the table at the same time?

Consider that the people who are going nuts over the Emperor being able to Force Lightning Home One and Yoda being able to take down the Devastator, and the people who are okay with possibly having Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader, Jango Fett, and Boba Fett on the table at the same time, may be two separate groups of people. I think it's also fair to assume that rules will treat Anakin Skywalker as Darth Vader for the purposes of uniqueness. FFG may even pull an AGoT  here and introduce characters with "throwaway" effects; i.e. Jango Fett dies and you search your deck for Boba Fett, or something.

#17 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

JZWINK said:

I have a different question.  Anyone have an idea of how long FFG has the Star Wars license for this game?  I read a comment somewhere recently that said Dark Horse will be losing their license to create Star Wars comic books within about a year when Disney takes over.  I was concerned that this game won't have legs past the Dark Mouse Lord taking over.

Dark Horse acquired the license years ago, presumably their losing it is a case of it simply not being renewed. Which makes sense, since Disney owns both Marvel and Lucasfilm; it's a question of moving the property in-house.

There's no such issue here, since Disney doesn't have a tabletop game developer in-house. As long as SWLCG continues to be profitable, FFG will almost certainly keep the license.

Re: Martin's comments --

None of the EU-only eras are likely to ever be popular enough to justify their inclusion in the game in any major way. Remember, catering only to hardcore fans isn't a viable business model, even for a AAA+ property like Star Wars. And while things like taking out Home One with Force Lightning fall under gameplay abstraction, mixing together characters who lived thousands of years apart is a bigger hurdle to overcome. We geeks can be a remarkably fickle and nitpicky lot. Also, I feel that the Clone Wars era is distinct enough in feel that a separate game, with separate rules, is justified.

#18 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Xenu's Paradox said:

There's no such issue here, since Disney doesn't have a tabletop game developer in-house. As long as SWLCG continues to be profitable, FFG will almost certainly keep the license.

There was a rumor a few weeks after the Lucasfilm announcement that Disney was looking to acquire Hasbro -- who owns Wizards of the Coast -- that scared the ever-loving daylights out of fans of FFG's Star Wars games who figured the license would go to WotC.  Turned out to be nothing, but you never know.

#19 JustinMcBride

JustinMcBride

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I just want this game to continue for more than a few years. I would actually like to see the new trillogy in this game, but I have my doubts.

Founder of http://www.toptiergaming.com A community for Star Wrs LCG and X-Wing!

#20 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

JustinMcBride said:

I just want this game to continue for more than a few years. I would actually like to see the new trillogy in this game, but I have my doubts.

As long as it's profitable, I don't think we have to worry about that. And FFG is without a doubt among the best in the business. When the CCG market crashed (for the second time), they were one of the few companies to keep their product lines going, albeit in a different format. And now they have more card games on the market than anyone else, including Wizards! Yes, Magic is still the 800 pound gorilla and likely makes more money for Hasbro than FFG's entire company-wide profits, but Wizards still only has two games (Magic and Duel Masters) going at this point, while FFG has Thrones, Cthulhu, Warhammer, Rings, Netrunner, and Star Wars -- three times as many product lines!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS