Conflicting Monthly Incomes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Taggerung

Taggerung

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

I've created a character with conflicting monthly incomes and I am curious to see which it should have.

I started with a Cleric (Ministorum Class monthly income) with the Famulous Protégé Origin (changes monthly income to Noble Class) and then taking the Banisher Alt rank (changes monthly income to Learned Class). Is it a case of last in first out, or player/GM chooses?

Thoughts?

#2 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

I beleive you become for income Learned Class, as you take that Alt Rank but I could be wrong

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#3 Faern

Faern

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

Alt rank counts.

Anything you take to change your "base line" (in this case being your origin) is the one that counts :)

#4 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

I would think you can choose, and by that logic you always get the highest income possible?

#5 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

I would think unless there is a decidedly good reason (like another one being dramatically higher, or directly conficting with another) the Origin income would apply.

After all a person doesn't just stop being from a fabulously wealthy background just because their job title changes.

#6 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Askil said:

After all a person doesn't just stop being from a fabulously wealthy background just because their job title changes.

I would really need to reread the banisher advancement, but I guess one possible notion to check is if they have a lower paygrade as some form of piety, or if the position is simply not as prestigious as cleric.

#7 Faern

Faern

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

It could be that you just dont want money in the new background, or you donate it away, or as noted above its just not that prestigeful.

I still hold firmly to anything you change after origin, affects the origin stats (ie. the income in this case)

#8 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

Faern said:

I still hold firmly to anything you change after origin, affects the origin stats (ie. the income in this case)

If I recall though, during the exact order of character creation, a player selects Origin before Career (DH CRB p.13). Noble/Famulous Protege are Homeworld origins, and define the monthly income at that exact point. From there, any career chosen next is going to have a "lower" monthly income. So either there is a caveat in the income replacement from the homeworld, you naturally go with the highest, or you go with the most appropriate.

It sounds to me like the player in question is choosing Banisher for ability/some fluff reasons, but is trying to make use of their wealth.

I can't remember if this is the case or not, but is Banisher limited to rank 1 clerics only? That is to say, is it only available as a rank replacement to characters being created? If so I would say they can keep their noble grade wealth. If it can be selected at any level, that indicates that Banisher is meant to bring a cleric down from their paygrade.

#9 ordo neriman

ordo neriman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

This is my simplified take on what takes precedence in your monthly income at character creation.

Class < Alt Rank/Background packages < Noble < Something like Mendicantine Missionary as it specifically stipulates a vow of poverty.

You can always reject your noble income for whatever fluffy reason as well.

#10 Hakaisha

Hakaisha

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

Noble income is based upon the idea that their family sends them the money. so if you started out as an noble, you will still have an noble income unless you get kicked out or something, it's all in the fluff

#11 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

now here 1

Imperial Guardman would be paid as a Military Class.

with a Hive Ganger Membership background, so regardless of his career, the characters Income becomes Outcast.

and then picks up a Trade, so considered a member of the Trading Class for purposes of determining monthly income.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#12 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hakaisha said:

Noble income is based upon the idea that their family sends them the money. so if you started out as an noble, you will still have an noble income unless you get kicked out or something, it's all in the fluff

But it could be that the reduction in income represents some reason for loosing the money. It could be that they have to take a vow to disconnect themselves from their previous life (loosing access to their family's money), or that they are required to donate to the Ministorum or other righteous causes frequently leading to less disposable income.

Personally, if it is a an alternative rank which can be aquired after character creation, then I would say the reduced income applies. If it is a rank 1 only? Not sure in that case.

#13 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

I did a double check on Banisher last night, and I would say I can see it going either way. The training it takes to be one consumes much of ones life, and they often leave their families and go to the Ecclisarchy for an extended period of time.

I would probably give the PC the option of having remained in touch with their family or not. Taking the appropriate income trait. And then temper that with how well the character is naturally received by other members of their order.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS