Jump to content



Photo

Quick Strike Talent question


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Dynel

Lord Dynel

    Member

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

I have a question regarding this talent.  My apologies if ths has been asked before, as I tried to research an answer before posting.

 

The text says that the character gets to add a boost die per rank of Quick Strike to combat checks against any target that "has not yet acted."  Does this mean against foes that have not acted, at all?  Or does is mean against foes that haven'tyet acted in a particular round?  I'm thinking the former, and that once the foe acts, for the first time, the character loses any more Quick Strike abilitty against him.

Thanks in advance on any advice!



#2 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

    Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

  • Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

Lord Dynel said:

I have a question regarding this talent.  My apologies if ths has been asked before, as I tried to research an answer before posting.

The text says that the character gets to add a boost die per rank of Quick Strike to combat checks against any target that "has not yet acted."  Does this mean against foes that have not acted, at all?  Or does is mean against foes that haven'tyet acted in a particular round?  I'm thinking the former, and that once the foe acts, for the first time, the character loses any more Quick Strike abilitty against him.

Thanks in advance on any advice!

The way I've been playing it is that it requires the target to have not acted in the current round, otherwise it borders on near-uselessness.  Given the fluid nature of initiative in this system, this would enable someone that has Quick Strike to make fairly frequent use of this talent.


Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"


#3 Lord Dynel

Lord Dynel

    Member

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

Donovan Morningfire said:

 

 

The way I've been playing it is that it requires the target to have not acted in the current round, otherwise it borders on near-uselessness.  Given the fluid nature of initiative in this system, this would enable someone that has Quick Strike to make fairly frequent use of this talent.

 

That's what I had originally thought, that it can be used every round.  Then I started flip-flopping between that line of thinking and the "only once during combat before the foe acts" mindset.  Reading your post has kind of got me back to the original thinking.  Then, rereading the talent, I do believe that the spirit of it does indeed intend on a once per round usage.



#4 New Zombie

New Zombie

    Member

  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

hmmm, i would have thought it was once per encounter. thematically it is taking advantage of someone who is flat footed.

quick draw is a talent that effectively only has a benefit of once per encounter.



#5 Lord Dynel

Lord Dynel

    Member

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

New Zombie said:

hmmm, i would have thought it was once per encounter. thematically it is taking advantage of someone who is flat footed.

quick draw is a talent that effectively only has a benefit of once per encounter.

 

Heh, this is why I was flip-flopping.  Good point!  sonreir   

 

But I'm wary over falling into the "X works just like the Y mechanic from [Saga, etc]" mentality.  That could be a very dangerous trap to fall into.

Looking at the other talents, they seem to be very specific as to when they can be used (i.e. once per session, at the end of the encounter, when X check is made, etc.).  

One part of the wording of Quick Strike seems to indicate - to me at least - that it can be used whenever there's an attack check, while another part of it may indicate it can only be used once per combat (the "not yet acted" part, which I feel is a bit vague).



#6 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

    Member

  • Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

It is probably vague as there is the possibility of new combatants entering an encounter that is already in progress. So, it isn't just for the first round of combat, but I wouldn't let it be used on NPCs that have already become part of the encounter (by having acted on an initiative this encounter).



#7 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

    Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

  • Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Kallabecca said:

It is probably vague as there is the possibility of new combatants entering an encounter that is already in progress. So, it isn't just for the first round of combat, but I wouldn't let it be used on NPCs that have already become part of the encounter (by having acted on an initiative this encounter).

Exactly.

While it may seem extremely useful, bear in mind that thanks to the way initiative works, that one bad guy you were really hoping to take down with the help of your two or three ranks in Quick Strike might have the chance to act before you, and not every player is going to let you always go first in the round, as they may have something cool that they want to do and may be more beneficial to the group's objectives than you simply having a better chance to hit.


Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"


#8 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

I've gone with the "acted yet in round" interpretation. Might change once they get tons of ranks in it, but I feel its pointless if it only has an affect in the first round of combat - or if new opponents appear during combat.


Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.


#9 Lord Dynel

Lord Dynel

    Member

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Jegergryte said:

I've gone with the "acted yet in round" interpretation. Might change once they get tons of ranks in it, but I feel its pointless if it only has an affect in the first round of combat - or if new opponents appear during combat.

Indeed.  It only apprears twice in the Scoundrel and Scout trees, and once in the Assassin tree, so I think it would be quite a heavy investment for a player wanting to "exploit" this talent.  And, if somone really wanted to jump around a few talent trees and invest a crapton of points just to get a couple boost die advantage in combat, I'd would be fine with it as a GM.   After reading some good points in this thread, on both sides of the debate, I think I'd rule it as a "per round" ability.



#10 New Zombie

New Zombie

    Member

  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

if you're interested and feel that their opinions have any weight, the order 66 podcast team addressed this question in episode 4 around the 45 minute mark.

… they felt it was per encounter.



#11 lupex

lupex

    Member

  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

One of my players asked me for railing on this talent before he invested in it, as other talents specifically mention per turn usage and this one doesn't I opted for 'once per encounter', he agreed with my interpretation but still bought the talent.  I am soo glad that most of my players accept the 'gm's word is final' ethos.

 



#12 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

    Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

  • Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

New Zombie said:

if you're interested and feel that their opinions have any weight, the order 66 podcast team addressed this question in episode 4 around the 45 minute mark.

… they felt it was per encounter.

Well, they've also been wrong, as noted on the first episode in regards to how damage works, with GM Chris have used both methods before getting the final word from Jay on how it actually worked (turned out quite a few GMs, self included, had that one wrong).  They've had the same happen to them with Saga Edition, with Rodney Thompson coming in and saying "Sorry guys, but this is actually how it works."  At the end of the day, they're two guys with an unofficial podcast, and while their words might reach a far greater audience than you or me, they've got the same chance of being wrong as you, me, or anyone else that's not listed as a designer/developer on the EotE game.

I'll admit I haven't listened to the latest show yet, but the only official FFG guest for this show was the art director according to the show's description.

Like Lord Dynel said, it's going to take a lot of tree-hopping and XP to rack up more than a couple instances of this talent, so allowing it's use once on a foe that hasn't acted in the current round isn't going to result in more than two boost dice in most circumstances, and even in some of those more extreme ones, we're talking well over a hundred XP spent to get those talents, so it'd take a pertty dedicated build to really start abusing Quick Strike.


Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"


#13 New Zombie

New Zombie

    Member

  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Donovan Morningfire said:

New Zombie said:

 

if you're interested and feel that their opinions have any weight, the order 66 podcast team addressed this question in episode 4 around the 45 minute mark.

… they felt it was per encounter.

 

 

Well, they've also been wrong, as noted on the first episode in regards to how damage works, with GM Chris have used both methods before getting the final word from Jay on how it actually worked (turned out quite a few GMs, self included, had that one wrong).  They've had the same happen to them with Saga Edition, with Rodney Thompson coming in and saying "Sorry guys, but this is actually how it works."  At the end of the day, they're two guys with an unofficial podcast, and while their words might reach a far greater audience than you or me, they've got the same chance of being wrong as you, me, or anyone else that's not listed as a designer/developer on the EotE game.

I'll admit I haven't listened to the latest show yet, but the only official FFG guest for this show was the art director according to the show's description.

Like Lord Dynel said, it's going to take a lot of tree-hopping and XP to rack up more than a couple instances of this talent, so allowing it's use once on a foe that hasn't acted in the current round isn't going to result in more than two boost dice in most circumstances, and even in some of those more extreme ones, we're talking well over a hundred XP spent to get those talents, so it'd take a pertty dedicated build to really start abusing Quick Strike.

i did qualify my statement with "and feel that their opinions have any weight".

considering that jay and sam very rarely post on the official forums, then the community answering any question where ambiguity is present in the rules is pointless by your rationale.

as for my table i'm gald that my players choose the advancements that appeal to their sense of role, and don't weigh up the XP costs.



#14 LethalDose

LethalDose

    Member

  • Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

lupex said:

One of my players asked me for railing on this talent before he invested in it, as other talents specifically mention per turn usage and this one doesn't I opted for 'once per encounter', he agreed with my interpretation but still bought the talent.  I am soo glad that most of my players accept the 'gm's word is final' ethos.

My table and I agreed on this interpretation.  You don't have to manipulate any rationale, or claim to "know what the designer really meant" to interpret the text and understand that the talent does what the talent says: +Boost vs targets that haven't acted.  At least to our eyes, that kind of manipulation is neccesary to come to a different conclusion.

Beyond that, our table is realizing that the boost die is not equivalent to the conditional +1 or +2 bonuses in d20 editions (comparison made to for simplicity, not to start some edition war) that got tossed around like freakin' tic-tacs in those systems.  From both simulation data and empirical "@ the table" experice, the boost dice feel like they represent substantial, important, or influential conditions, more similar to the +4 bonuses in the d20 games that got tossed around with less frequency.  As GM I rarely add more than 1 Boost (or 1 Setback) die by fiat, and this has led to smaller slightly smaller pools that are easier to roll and count up.  Yeah, this is based on both our experience and the actual numbers behind the dice, which may make us "math nerds", but we're empirically more satisfied math nerds.  YMMV.

The relevance is to all those words is that, based on the feel and the numbers, it makes more sense to us that, given the magnitude of the benefit,  Quick Strike works best when roughly once per encounter, instead of once per round.

Just another way of looking at it using facts about the dice.

-WJL



#15 GM Chris

GM Chris

    Member

  • Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

Donovan Morningfire said:

Well, they've also been wrong, as noted on the first episode in regards to how damage works, with GM Chris have used both methods before getting the final word from Jay on how it actually worked (turned out quite a few GMs, self included, had that one wrong).  They've had the same happen to them with Saga Edition, with Rodney Thompson coming in and saying "Sorry guys, but this is actually how it works."  At the end of the day, they're two guys with an unofficial podcast, and while their words might reach a far greater audience than you or me, they've got the same chance of being wrong as you, me, or anyone else that's not listed as a designer/developer on the EotE game.

Dono's correct.

At this point, GMD and I are just podcasters and somewhat experienced players/GMs offering our opinions on the matter, and how we'd run it.  Some folks find those opinions somewhat useful, LOL…  But as for their value… An opinion and 60 cents will get you a can of coke.

Seriously, though, the bottom line is that you should ALWAYS do what's best for you and your group.  Period.

 

It's strange… all of us (every player and GM out there) is flying pretty blind right now.  We've got our navigational data (the beta and beginner's set), but can't quite see the runway.  ;-)  And we won't until next quarter, when the "real" full rules are released.  Thankfully, developers like Jay are eager to help us all out and take part in the Order 66 Podcast, which means (when they CAN talk about this stuff), we'll be proud to be the place where questions like this can get answered by someone who knows for sure.  :-D

 

 

Peace, Love, and Good Gaming!


Host of The Order 66 Podcast:  http://www.d20radio.com

 

Find all the EotE Order 66 Episodes right here:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/Order66


#16 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

    Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

  • Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

GM Chris said:

Dono's correct.

At this point, GMD and I are just podcasters and somewhat experienced players/GMs offering our opinions on the matter, and how we'd run it.  Some folks find those opinions somewhat useful, LOL…  But as for their value… An opinion and 60 cents will get you a can of coke.

Didn't mean to sound overly harsh, but at the same time I've seen some pretty nasty volleys over on the WotC boards due to some folks treating your's and Dave's opinions as having as much weight as Rodney's or even Gary Sarli's (back when there was an active Jedi Counseling).  Doubt anyone got banned, as Gary had retired from mod duties and the mods listed did next to nothing to keep things civil.

Some people have had a similarily mistaken belief that my statements carry anymore weight than the next guy's.  About the stuff I could speak with any authority one is the section of material I wrote for two books, and I'm not hesitant to say "sorry, can't give you an author's word on X because I didn't write that part."  Anything else just boils down to being one gamer's opinion.  Though in my neck of the woods, it'd be dollar and said opinion that'd get you that can of Coke.


Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"


#17 DeadInkPen

DeadInkPen

    Member

  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I got this as a reply from the people at FFG on it:

"The Quick Strike talent allows the character to add the appropriate number of Boost dice to combat checks against any target that has not yet acted in the encounter as a whole."

So it seems to be a once an encounter deal, but it looks like it will shine in encounters where enemies arraive at staggered intervals. 



#18 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

    Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

  • Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

DeadInkPen said:

I got this as a reply from the people at FFG on it:

"The Quick Strike talent allows the character to add the appropriate number of Boost dice to combat checks against any target that has not yet acted in the encounter as a whole."

So it seems to be a once an encounter deal, but it looks like it will shine in encounters where enemies arraive at staggered intervals. 

If you don't mind my asking, was this a specific person at FFG, or just a general customer service rep?

Again, harkening back to WotC and how their customer service reps were known for giving blatantly incorrect answers for questions about D&D and M:tG (their two biggest product lines) that directly contradicted the written material in each respective game's rule books.


Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"


#19 DeadInkPen

DeadInkPen

    Member

  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

Donovan Morningfire said:

DeadInkPen said:

 

I got this as a reply from the people at FFG on it:

"The Quick Strike talent allows the character to add the appropriate number of Boost dice to combat checks against any target that has not yet acted in the encounter as a whole."

So it seems to be a once an encounter deal, but it looks like it will shine in encounters where enemies arraive at staggered intervals. 

 

 

If you don't mind my asking, was this a specific person at FFG, or just a general customer service rep?

Again, harkening back to WotC and how their customer service reps were known for giving blatantly incorrect answers for questions about D&D and M:tG (their two biggest product lines) that directly contradicted the written material in each respective game's rule books.

Here is the name, position of who sent me the email answering that question.

Chris Gerber
Managing RPG Producer
 

I have never had a general customer service reply to any rules/mechanics related question from FFG yet. Hope that helps you out for it. I decided to email them on the ruling since it was getting debated by the players after a game wraped up. So I figured I might as well ask them for their official ruling on it.

 

 



#20 LethalDose

LethalDose

    Member

  • Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Donovan Morningfire said:

DeadInkPen said:

 

I got this as a reply from the people at FFG on it:

"The Quick Strike talent allows the character to add the appropriate number of Boost dice to combat checks against any target that has not yet acted in the encounter as a whole."

So it seems to be a once an encounter deal, but it looks like it will shine in encounters where enemies arraive at staggered intervals. 

 

 

If you don't mind my asking, was this a specific person at FFG, or just a general customer service rep?

Again, harkening back to WotC and how their customer service reps were known for giving blatantly incorrect answers for questions about D&D and M:tG (their two biggest product lines) that directly contradicted the written material in each respective game's rule books.

I really don't see much reason to doubt this ruling.  There's nothing in it that contradicts the rules we have now, even if someone from a different company gave wrong information about a different game at some time in the past.

-WJL






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS