Photo

How many expansion do you play with core set?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

With innsmouth horror it takes me 3 hours to finish a 3 players game. 

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Cutievalkyrie said:

With innsmouth horror it takes me 3 hours to finish a 3 players game. 

I guess it's not the number of expansions, but the number of investigators you play. Assuming that you go for a sealing victory, playing 6 investigators implies it's enough that each of them seals one gate. Playing 3 implies that each of them seals two gates, doubling de facto the time you need to collect clues and so on. My games (2 expansion board and 1 card expansion always in) tend to last 11 Mythos (on average) if I play 5 investigators, and 16 Mythos (on average) if I play 4.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Julia's spot-on about the number of Investigators.  I play 95% of may games solo, with every expansion (yes, I know about dilution and it doesn't bother me, seriously) and four Investigators ~ the games take, on-average, 3 hours.  Now I've made some House Rules to make it a bit more interesting such as Rifts actually open in Kingsport (so you don't have those pesky things moving into Vortices); some Rumors are based upon 2 Investigators; and the -1 to closing Gates for the Lurker only applies to those who have taken Pacts, for instance.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

As already stated by Julia and The Professor, the number of investigators is what matters most. I tend to play with other people, and we usually play four investigators. We almost always play with an expansion board, which usually ends up being Innsmouth, because we think it's more fun to go there. You get to see all the funny fish-people, and there might be a party taking place at Devil Reef or Y'ha-nthlei. You really don't wanna miss that! =P We also add in the cards and replacement gates from Lurker, plus investigators and Ancient Ones from Dunwich. We usually spend more time than three ours on our games, but this is most likely due to discussions and careful planning in the Upkeep Phase of each round. ^__^

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Each board expansion after the first actually reduces  time to play, because there are so many more things that will threaten to awaken the Ancient One!

(I play with all expansions.)

#6 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

All the small cards, monsters, Investigators, Ancient Ones and other material from every expansion, including the custom expansions (Gilman Wing, Dark Corners, Cult of the Golden Scarab) Sometimes we ignore Personal Stories and/or Relationships.

Usually two to three boards from the three official expansions and Vermont / Lovecraft Country / Dreamlands (Arkham Nightmare version) More boards than that is asking for a migraine, although one day I'd like to try this: http://www.boardgame...neverenoughtime

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#7 Ariakan

Ariakan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I am playing with two friends of mine. We are using one board expansion (KH), and from the small expansions we are using Lurker, Dark Pharaoh and Black Goat. Every game that w ehave played lasts from 1 hour to 2 hours. Of course, there are some times that game can last much longer. I remember that we have played for 4 hours in a single game.

#8 Drakson

Drakson

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

My wife and I play 2 investigators each and usually one big expansion, favorite is Innsmouth. I really like the look of it also. We play personal stories, relationship, injury and madness, epic battle, Miskatonic and the gates from Lurker. Occasionally we play a herald or a small expansion. I don't seem to get much out of the small expansions however except the Curse of the Dark Pharoah because of putting the expansions cards on top to get more theme. I suppose as far as new product for this game there will not be any. I do wish I was better at card printing etc for some of the fantastic player cards and expansions. One guy her a year or so ago had a really neat expansion from the River Docks I think.

#9 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

One. Always and only one.  In addition I separate the decks so half of the Mythos cards come from the expansion I'm playing.  But as others have noted your question really seems to to be about game length and that has to do with the number of players and therefore the number of player turns.

#10 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Drakson said:

My wife and I play 2 investigators each and usually one big expansion, favorite is Innsmouth. I really like the look of it also. We play personal stories, relationship, injury and madness, epic battle, Miskatonic and the gates from Lurker. Occasionally we play a herald or a small expansion. I don't seem to get much out of the small expansions however except the Curse of the Dark Pharoah because of putting the expansions cards on top to get more theme. I suppose as far as new product for this game there will not be any. I do wish I was better at card printing etc for some of the fantastic player cards and expansions. One guy her a year or so ago had a really neat expansion from the River Docks I think.

Do you have any more information about that "river Docks" expansion? I must have missed that one - unless you mean Door to Saturn, where you can travel to Arabia and Antarctica and the like. (It's a v. good expansion, BTW, well worth a look)

As for custom material, I discuss this in depth in the design notes for Lovecraft Country (see my sig), but basically, with the exception of monsters (which have a tactile quality that is difficult to reproduce manually) if you've got a lot of custom material in any deck, it doesn't matter too much as you're not going to remember what's custom and what's not. If you haven't got a lot of material, you'll need to moderate it in some manner. Some examples might include:

• When a monster surge occurs, draw your a monster from the custom monster cup and place it on the surging gate.
  • Use spawn monsters in your monster cup, when you draw a spawn monster, replace that monster with a draw from the custom monster cup.
  • Draw your custom mythos / gate cards / small cards, etc. whenever the Ancient One is at the end of a row of the AO track.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#11 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

In my opinion, you're very lucky to have 3 hour IH games.

Most of my IH games have lasted less than 2 hours and complete in a crushing defeat.

It doesn't always happen that way and usually when we win, it's 2.5 or so hours.

Basically, I'm saying that you're finding ways to last longer with Innsmouth in the game than I am lasting and I'm jealous!  pillo

#12 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

Full Doom Track said:

In my opinion, you're very lucky to have 3 hour IH games.

Most of my IH games have lasted less than 2 hours and complete in a crushing defeat.

It doesn't always happen that way and usually when we win, it's 2.5 or so hours.

Basically, I'm saying that you're finding ways to last longer with Innsmouth in the game than I am lasting and I'm jealous!  pillo

What are you doing to make Innsmouth such a horrible place? *curious*

#13 Drakson

Drakson

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Jake yet again said:

Drakson said:

Do you have any more information about that "river Docks" expansion? I must have missed that one - unless you mean Door to Saturn, where you can travel to Arabia and Antarctica and the like. (It's a v. good expansion, BTW, well worth a look)

As for custom material, I discuss this in depth in the design notes for Lovecraft Country (see my sig), but basically, with the exception of monsters (which have a tactile quality that is difficult to reproduce manually) if you've got a lot of custom material in any deck, it doesn't matter too much as you're not going to remember what's custom and what's not. If you haven't got a lot of material, you'll need to moderate it in some manner. Some examples might include:

• When a monster surge occurs, draw your a monster from the custom monster cup and place it on the surging gate.
  • Use spawn monsters in your monster cup, when you draw a spawn monster, replace that monster with a draw from the custom monster cup.
  • Draw your custom mythos / gate cards / small cards, etc. whenever the Ancient One is at the end of a row of the AO track.

It was in the section above that players make up. Had good cards etc and was a side board off the river docks with ships, swimming from island, rusty weapons, all kinds of stuff. I remember a few people here printing it out. I just wasnt and still not good at printing out cards etc and making them look very good

#14 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

I suspect you're talking about Sea of Horror by Kroen. Forgive the pun, but I think you've missed the boat on that one. There were some interesting ideas in the expansion, and I appreciated the effort the writer had put in, but I didn't much care the end result myself. If I recall correctly, Kroen had a relationship with most forum members as tumultous as his eponymous sea and the .eons are no longer available. You might that a few .jpgs are still available in the fourm posts or you could ask around, maybe someone else snagged them.

#15 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Sea of Horror: IIRC, Suicide Puppett has collected almost everything ever done for Arkham. Try to get in contact with hm via Private Message; he's a cool guy, and I think he will gladly help you :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#16 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Eit,

At this point I want to attribute it to 6+ games of horribly shuffled Mythos decks.  But after that many games I am beginning to suspect something.  Innsmouth is, by FAR, hardest expansion I've found to date!

#17 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Full Doom Track said:

Eit,

At this point I want to attribute it to 6+ games of horribly shuffled Mythos decks.  But after that many games I am beginning to suspect something.  Innsmouth is, by FAR, hardest expansion I've found to date!

Innsmouth is tough, indeed. But probably Miskatonic is even tougher. Some environments are totally brutal, and you have double doomers Mythos puring down from the Sky to Full (quickly the) Doom Track :-P

#18 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Full Doom Track said:

Eit,

Innsmouth quickly became my favorite expansion for several reasons, so Innsmouth is the expansion I've played most. Even so, I have yet to play a game where it is necessary to spend clue tokens to clear the DOR track. In most games I play, there are barely any tokens on the track at the end of the game --- if any at all. In my last game, for instance, which I played against Nyogtha and Hydra, the only DOR token on the track during the entire game was the one placed there by Hydra before the game started. I can only remember one loss on the Innsmouth board, against Chaugnar Faugn, and that was due to bad luck with gate bursts, which are not exactly Innsmouth exclusive. Of course, if you're playing against both Hydra and Dagon, and there is a party at Y'ha-nthlei or Devil Reef, you can be doomed in just a couple of turns. But really, that's two heralds and Y'ha-nthlei or Devil Reef. Why shouldn't you be doomed? =P Other than this, I wouldn't fear much in the Innsmouth expansion.

It's fun how our experiences with Innsmouth are so different. I'm not saying the other expansions are harder, though. There's really not much going on in Dunwich, for instance. However, when I play expansions, I shuffle the mythos deck quite thoroughly in order to avoid big clusters of expansion cards or base game cards. Maybe that's why we have different experiences? =P

#19 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

A trick we pull is to prep the raid track using the clues in Innsmouth. Use the clues in Innsmouth to put five of the six clues ready on the Feds track, leave alone the one that's keyed to Falcon Point (where you won't get arrested). If the natives get too restless, call in J Edgar Hoover.

#20 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

@Julia: I see what you did there!  Clever! ;)

@Eit:

I was thinking the same thing as I read your post.  I think that my posts come off a little negative when talking about Innsmouth when they really should be positive.  Innsmouth is a big challenge, no matter how you stack things up.  I can definitely see how with a little luck (and thorough shuffling) that the DOR wouldn't  be a problem (even with a Herald).  You still are unable to escape the possibility of having several gates cascade open at Devil's Reef at the beginning of your game with the consequent monster surges causing monsters to jump into the nearby rift like loose children in Charlie's Chocolate Factory, screaming with glee!  I suspect that my shuffling is part of the problem, but I will also blame some of it on my luck.  Basically, it just means that after I've licked my wounds for a while, that I'll have a personal score to settle with 6 of the 8 AOs inside the Innsmouth box.  Ultimately I think it boils down to the Mythos deck and how it is shuffled, which produces such contrasting experiences.  :)

@Jake yet again:

In our last game against Quachil Uttaus, we did exactly what you mentioned.  If you have the clues, front loading the FRA track makes it easy to get yourself out of a jam.  I think this is a very good point if you're having trouble with Innsmouth.  This game turned out to be a win for us and caused me to fall in love with Ursula Downs (who looks suspiciously like Angelina Jolie?) and Silas Marsh.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS