New GM with a Weird Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Star Sage

Star Sage

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Ok I've read the rules to dark heresy and have a pretty solid feel for them I'd like to think, but I do have one question.

If a character is making a test what prevents their characteristic from reaching 100 from bonuses? I know this sounds kinda silly and dumb, but hear me out. Say you have some character with a BS of 50 that is using full auto (+20) on a bad guy at point blank (+30). Would they just auto succeed?

This seemed like a silly thought but when I learned Rogue Trader and Deathwatch were much higher powered I wondered if this issue came up more. Is there a limit to prevent this or some rule I'm missing or is it just THAT uncommon a situation that an auto success on the roll isn't an issue?

Thanks for hearing out a silly newby ^_^;;

#2 IdOfEntity

IdOfEntity

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Don't forget in Ballistic Skill tests the player has a chance of jamming a weapon.  So no, accruing a total over 100 doesn't guarantee a success.  Barring a jam, and assuming a player managed to get above a 100 on a BS test, then it's only a matter of counting degrees of success.  If the player rolls a 94 out of 101 an opponent could still easily dodge the only shot that hit.

#3 Jeans_Stealer

Jeans_Stealer

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Yeah that's not wierd, dude. No worries, and best place to ask the question. 

There is nothing to say that '100' is an auto-fail, but there is the chance of jamming on 91 (unreliable) OR 94(Auto/semi) OR 96(normal) to 100, which would result in a bad day. Max of +60 or -60, and count the degrees of success is what you're left with (up to your 100+  with added modifiers.)

#4 The Boy Named Crow

The Boy Named Crow

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

My group has always played that 96-00 is an automatic failure, and 01-05 is an automatic success. Until just now, I never realized it was a house rule.

#5 Jeans_Stealer

Jeans_Stealer

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

The Boy Named Crow said:

My group has always played that 96-00 is an automatic failure, and 01-05 is an automatic success. Until just now, I never realized it was a house rule.

…Yeah, I did that. A 1/20 chance of auto fail/success might be a little more than you want to give them, but it's up to you. Try 1/100 auto pass, so a nat 1 is an Auto pass, like in Black Crusade? Or you can just be scrupulous and say NO CHANCE. (sticking one's tongue out at the same time, perhaps.)

#6 Star Sage

Star Sage

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I've also considered the 1-5 as auto success and 96-100 as auto failure due to my first tabletop game being DnD and all but I cold see how that might be a little much in this sort of system. Main reason I asked about this rule in the first place was in case I missed something in the core book or if Only War changed this. Doesn't seem like that's the case though so I'm a lot less concerned : ) Cheers!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS