Photo

Solitaire play scenarios for the lone pilot?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Anyone have any X-wing solitaire play scenarios?

#2 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Found one http://paulsstarwars...ire-tables.html

#3 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

I've been doing my solitare games on offline vassal. Since you don't need the other player to be able to see all your ship info set up is basicly just sticking the ship token on the map and renaming them. Then I have the map fill the screen except for a small spot along the left where I keep the one mini window for the dice roller and a second one for the maneuver templates. I just line up the pilot cards and any upgrades for both sides on my desk and use my regular damage deck and token like normal. Aside from chooseing maneuvers there's no real difference in playing both sides since you're still going to pick the best action for each ship and make firing choices the same as you would playing a normal 2 player game. I've done the maneuvers set up a couple different ways including at the start of a round setting up all ships with thier maneuver templates set so that it will result in as much combat as possible. Another one I've done that is a lot faster and easier is to skip selection all the maneuvers at the start of round and instead pick it for each ship when its turn to move comes up. That way is rough on the lower pilot abilites though since it makes it much easier for a high ability pilot to keep a low ability one in its fireing arc. I'll have to take a longer look at whats in the link you posted since I do like the idea making the movement be at least partially preselected based on position the ship is in.

#4 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I don't understand what's so hard about playing against yourself. About the only thing you're missing is the suspense of secret manuvers, but it's an even playing field. *shrug*

It's a good way to try experimenting for new strategies.

#5 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I guess a movement generator matrix is what I’m looking for. The suspense of secret maneuvers, to me any way, is needed. It’s the unexpected element that makes this such a great strategy game.  To be forced to react to the surprise of the great unknown.

#6 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I dunno, I don't think you're going to get a lot of luck without some intelligence behind your oponent. After all, what happens if you make a "random" flight decision that is contrary to common strategy? Say a TIE performs a manuver that does nothing but puts you right into your sights.

And if there's some player input needed for the system to work (ie if this, do that), then you might as well fly the enemy ships yourself!

#7 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

This is what is on the above posted web site and a dice roll is used to determine:

Here's the basic Tie Fighter Tactics Tables that I came up with so far for solitaire play, being X-Wings vs Tie Fighters.:

IMPERIAL MANOEUVRES
(1) 
Start of Game Tactics / Game Setup
1-2  Tie flies down middle of map.
3-4  Tie flies down left side of map to Flank enemy position.
5-6  Tie flies down right side of map to Flank enemy position.

(2)
While playing, if Rebel is aprox 2 measure sticks away, or the Tie has flown past their position down the map. Also, Night Beast always rolls ACTION first, before Manoeuvre, in case he is required to do a Green Action this turn.

If rebel is in front of you, or you have flown past their position down the map:
    1-2  Move to intercept them in your forward arc.
    3-4  Move to attack from their sides.
    5-6  Move to attack from their rear.

If rebel is behind you:
    1  Thrust away from them
    2  Soft turn to the side
    3  Hard turn to the side
    4  180 spin, long
    5  180 spin, long
    6  180 spin, medium

#8 CarWashKid

CarWashKid

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Boomer_J said:

I guess a movement generator matrix is what I’m looking for. The suspense of secret maneuvers, to me any way, is needed. It’s the unexpected element that makes this such a great strategy game.  To be forced to react to the surprise of the great unknown.

THis one has worked pretty well for me:

http://xwing.runbam....1.4.1/index.htm

#9 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Thanks   CarWashKid that is awesome!!!! 

#10 CarWashKid

CarWashKid

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Boomer_J said:

Thanks   CarWashKid that is awesome!!!! 

Cool.  Here is the thread about the creation of the applet from over on BGG.  

http://boardgamegeek...-wing-ai/page/1

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS