My set up.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lnmyer

lnmyer

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Just finished up my first attempt at 3d asteroids to go along with my G9 playing matt and my play board that I built.

Board: I used some left over press board, some black felt and a thin wood border. The felt is on the bottom to protect table surfaces and on the ends for placing cards. The playing surface is a flat black painted piece of sheet medal. sealed with stardust spray and larger glitter pieces sprinkled before being sealed. I have self adhesive (business card magnets attatched to the bottom of my minis to aid in preventing slip (didn't work all that well).

This is my board with the addition of my vynal G9 space map. Fit almost perfectly in the play space.

These are a recent addition of 3d asteroids I carved out of polystyrene and hand painted.

If you notice on this pic I have glued cupboard liners to the bottom of my minis. This by far is an amazing addition as it has completely stopped all slippage from bumping. This with the added weight of the magnets works perfectly.

Some close ups of minis by asteroids

What do you all think?

#2 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Do you travel with that board or is that your "home" setup? It looks awesome anyway!

#3 lnmyer

lnmyer

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Thanks. More my home set up. It can fit in my jeep fine….just a bit bulky. The G9 matt roles up into a tube. That travels very easy.

#4 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Nice board! Love the tray area for the cards and tokes!

#5 TacticalBastrd

TacticalBastrd

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

LOVE IT!

If you were to make another one, to make it easyer to move around. I would suggest cutting it in half, and using piano hinges so it could fold in the middle. By putting spacers on the bottom edges around the perimiter, it will eliminate the off blanceness of the piano hinge. Once folded, to protect it you could put it in a bag of somesort. Kind of like those canvis chairs that you see at sporting events.

That being said that is just my suggestions from the out side. 

Do you have the plans for your set up that you could post up here? Would love to make one of my own.

"The probability of a successful dice roll is inversely proportional to the relative amount of negative impact its failure will have on your character."  -Murphy's RPG Corollary-

Co-Host of The Sabacc Table Podcast

#6 lnmyer

lnmyer

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Thanks. Just last night i was thinking of a folding option, maybe maid with some more light weight material. Dont have the actual plans but was pretty easy. gad a large piece of press board left over! from other projects, trimmed it on a table saw to of the size I wanted taking into account the 3x3 playing surface being the most important. Made sure to leave extra space for the card slots and accounting for the width of the boarder. Measured and cut the boarder. Pre painted the boarder before installing. Purchased a large 5x5 piece of black felt. Sprayed the underside of the board with spray adhesive for felt. Applied the felt covering the entire bottom (to protect it from scratching other surfaces). Rapped the ends over to where the card slots would be after applying adhesive to this area. Trimmed off the excess felt. Applied the boarders (covers up imperfections in the trimming of the felt). Dulled nails to prevent splitting of the boarders when nailing. (Nail length is adjusted to the thickness of the wood you use). se a punch to recess the nails. Use wood putty to fill in nail holes and places where boarder connects. Tape off felt areas and spray with Flatt black paint. I added "starry sky" spray paint from joannes fabrics and some larger glitter flakes. Hard to see but it is a nice affect (multiple color reflective stars of different sizes) applied thicker in spots to make a nebula. Then spray sealer and all done. Takes about two days including dry time.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS