Jump to content



Photo

Boba Fett vs. 1 health units


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

    Member

  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

So what happens if Boba hits a unit with 1 health (2 or less if you have edge)? Captured or discarded? Does the active player get to choose?

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

The DS player chooses since it is a reaction and not a forced reaction.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku


#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

This came up a little earlier and the consensus was discarded, though I did submit it to FFG so hopefully it will be in the FAQ.  Basically, because his ability is a reaction and not a response it does not happen until after the damage is on the unit.  As units with damage at or above their damage capacity are "immediately" destroyed, the thought was that that would happen before his reaction could work and per pg 27 he could not capture the unit from the discard pile as only cards that specifically refer to an out-of-play area can interact with cards there.  There is some possibility that there is time for the reaction to go off before the card is destroyed, as we don't have any guidelines in the rules for how fast "immediately" is compared to a Reaction.



#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Budgernaut said:

The DS player chooses since it is a reaction and not a forced reaction.

Except the unit will be in the discard pile before it can be captured, or so it would seem.



#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

The unit has fatal damage and therefore is dead before it can be captured is how we all agreed on it last time this came up. If Boba Fett had an interrupt then it would be different.



#6 Surge1000

Surge1000

    Member

  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

As others have pointed out, since the ability on Boba Fett is a reaction, the circumstance that triggers it resolves fully prior to being able to resolve Boba Fett's reaction.  A unit with only 1 damage capacity remaining, if targeted by a strike from Boba Fett, would be discarded prior to the resolution of Boba Fett's effect.

 

Not to belabor the point, but as Toqtamish pointed out, the timing of interrupts is different, and they largely use the term "when."  It seems subtle, but that term is very important in this game as it suspends things in a way I've not seen any mechanic perform in other games.  Understanding the usage of that term really cleared up a lot of questions I had regarding seemingly perplexing timing issues.  For example, "when this unit leaves play" and "after this units leaves play" mean two entirely different things based upon the definitions in the rulebook.



#7 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

    Member

  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

Wow, so the indent of Boba Fett in capturing people was only designed to capture characters that have 2 or more health?

Sounds like a strange idea, but ok……..


Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

 


#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

jss_hobbie said:

Wow, so the indent of Boba Fett in capturing people was only designed to capture characters that have 2 or more health?

Sounds like a strange idea, but ok……..

Intent remains to be seen if they errata or some such thing with the FAQ.  But for now the rules (and intent as best as we can tell) is that he only captures things that he doesn't kill.  When you think about it though, that does make thematic sense.



#9 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

    Member

  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

dbmeboy said:

 

jss_hobbie said:

 

Wow, so the indent of Boba Fett in capturing people was only designed to capture characters that have 2 or more health?

Sounds like a strange idea, but ok……..

 

 

Intent remains to be seen if they errata or some such thing with the FAQ.  But for now the rules (and intent as best as we can tell) is that he only captures things that he doesn't kill.  When you think about it though, that does make thematic sense.

 

 

"I want them alive -- no disintegrations!"

"As you wish."

Sounds like Fett's notorious for killing his bounties. Presumably he has some kind of helmet camera to provide proof, otherwise he'd be going without pay a lot.



#10 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

    Member

  • Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Boba Fett rocks. He is so cool that they put him on a card sleeve …


Welcome to the machine!


#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Toqtamish said:

The unit has fatal damage and therefore is dead before it can be captured is how we all agreed on it last time this came up. If Boba Fett had an interrupt then it would be different.

My appologies. I didn't realize there was a former discussion, much less a consensus. I've been away since these forums have been frustratingly reluctant to load properly.


"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku


#12 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Budgernaut said:

My appologies. I didn't realize there was a former discussion, much less a consensus. I've been away since these forums have been frustratingly reluctant to load properly.

Don't worry about it.  Nobody is ever going to blame you for not finding previous discussions on these forums.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS