Free-Traders and Freebooters' Catalogue [a work in progress]

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

This has already appeared in the beta forum, but I assume that forum will see less activity now, and eventually be removed when the final version is released this spring, so I'm posting here too.

Over the last 6 months or so - since the release of the beta and its arrival at my door - I've been converting old d20 and d6 material for the Edge of the Empire. It has culminated in two pdfs, both of which can be found here at my blog.

The Free-traders and Bootleggers' Catalogue contains a bunch of transports for an aspiring group sentients, additionally new attachments, weapons and equipment. Even some suggested (albeit untested) house-rules and ideas for the game.

Known Threats at the Edge of the Empire contains a bunch of law enforcement ships, some gear, equipment and weapons, and a few generic NPC types of various kinds. This pdf is still very much in development, so any suggestions for content is appreciated.

Disclaimer: very little of the stuff is play-tested, consider yourself warned. paraguas Also, any commentary, feedback and the like is appreciated. Either here or on the blog (or on the google drive commentary thingy).

• Darth Hideous likes this

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#2 WildKnight

WildKnight

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Heard about this on the Order 66 Podcast, downloaded the version you had up then.  I'm insanely impressed with your work.  Thanks for everything you're doing.

#3 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Well, its my pleasure, it gives me something to do after long days of studying or working.

I'm very lucky that those guys have mentioned my stuff!

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

#4 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

The free-trader catalogue has received an update. See signature for link.

This catalogue will most likely be "completed" soon, by which I mean that I'll stop making updated version with new material. New material will either appear only on the blog or in the Known Threats supplement - which is still being worked on for further updates. Perhaps I'll even make a second free-traders catalogue at some point - but when the current reaches 2.0 version I'll stop add new stuff to it. It's getting close to 40 pages now, which I think is a good place to stop - it borders on the chaotic now, hard to navigate and all (mind you I don't print it).

Feedback on stuff, suggestions for adjustments, new material and the like is appreciated. Anything really. Also, experience from testing stuff - guidelines or specific weapons, please let me know.

#5 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I like the updated stats for the starships - you've done a good job, especially on a few of my favourites,  the Maka-Eekai L400 (though I when I made the stats I put the handling at zero, just because the Wookiepedia entry says it has remarkable handling - everything else was the same) and the HWK-290, which thanks for throwing out the WotC stats as they were insane.  It's a small ship, really more like a large fighter than a freighter.  As well as the Gozanti Cruiser, another great ship. 

Also great to see encumberance values, in place of cargo weights. 

The only thing I would like to see done in terms of the ships, is a bit of a better layout - I'd accept more dead space and higher page count to have the ship info on one page. 

Good job

You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#6 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Thanks!

If I understand you corret you'd like the ship stats not go over two pages - but still have 2 or 3 ships per page is the stat lines are short enough?
I'm doing the same for gear, going to put in some images to fill some blanks I think.

Thanks for the tip on the Maka-Eekai, I have adjusted for that now, I must have somehow overlooked that bit of info.

The encumbrance values are based on what I think of as a pattern in most cases, multiplying tonnage by 1,65 (the YT-1300) to 1,85 (the Ghtroc 720 I think) for most silhouette 4 ships - the YZ ships get a 1 for 1 tons to enumbrance conversion though since they can carry so much. I adjust, rounding up or down for odd values to nearest 10 or 5 - usually nearest 10.

Also, I think that beyond 500 encumbrance requires silhouette 5 due to mass, but that is speculation only.

#7 lupex

lupex

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

The catalogue is fantastic, you have done an especially good job on the ships but any chance you can keep in both encumbrance and tonnage to make it easier to use older adventure material?

"Given a choice between calling upon a bounty hunter or a Jedi, folks turned
to the Jedi because we worked for free and are concerned about collateral
damage." - Jedi Master Luke Skywalker

#8 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Sure, I thought about it originally - but for some unknown reason I didn't keep the tonnage. I can include that again sure.

Reminder to self: reinsert tonnage.

#9 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

So, I'm in the process of finalising the catalogue.

From the suggestions above I have only one thing to say; GREAT! Although about the encumbrance/tonnage values: there will be discrepancies here, in case anyone wondered if I found the golden formula for tons to encumbrance conversion I haven't.

Furthermore I'm adjusting some ships even more - mainly small changes, tips and suggestions are appreciated!

I'm also considering changing some attachments - for one I'm keen on giving the Beskar'gam bonding for melee weapons the modification option to add the Serrated quality - I've also been toying with this as a possible addition to the durasteel bonding attachment. I feel it doesn't fit the monomolecular edge attachment, but please tell me if you disagree.

Any further changes will partly be up to the community to provide me with suggestions and commentary, plus additional material desired for this catalogue before I stop working on it.

I'm also going through some editing changes to make it better layout wise. As was suggested above, ships shouldn't go over more than one page - which means 2 or 3 ships per page, which leaves more blank space. I'm fine with that.

Any other suggestions? More images? a background/backdrop for the pages? Anytinhg at all, please don't hesitate to mention it, I might actually do it, or at least try to do it.

#10 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hi Jegergryt,

It's a great work you have done !

I fell that all the customisation pleasure from WEG edition is back. The real SWRPG flavor IMHO, mixed with this great, livingand simple new game system.

It reminds me of the WEG Kraken book (I don't remember the exact name) or the whole book on spaceships, spaceport and customisations.

Thanks again mate and happy roleplay

#11 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

And maybe a suggestion :

I think it would be easy to read if you classify starships by categories (capital, freighters, starships etc), then by alphabetical order.

And if you can had some colorful pictures it can be a great add-on the the Core book

I also like to see how the interior of the starship is, so you can imagine how life is within it. WEG edition sometimes had these layouts (I don't know if that is the correct term in ebglish…)

#12 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

The silhouette of the ship gives indications as to whether one could consider it capital or transport. This supplement has mainly transports - silhouette 4 - some 5s are in there, I also think there is one silhouette 3 in there, perhaps two - silhouette 3 can be considered starfighters. I guess starship class can cross over different silhouettes - some larger freighters are silhouette 5 and could hardly be classified as capital ships. This sort of typification can be added, but silhouette also lists length in metres, sometimes even width and height. I did not do it that way due to it being mainly freighters/transports for smugglers and pirates… Perhaps I should do it, its not high on my list, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider it.

As for listings, it is listed alphabetically in accordance to manufacturer. I like to keep it that way.

I have chosen to go for grayscaled images simply because I like it better than coloured images. As for deckplans (starship interiors) exists around the web, but not for all ships. Neither is within my capabilities to create such deckplans, I have neither the skills, nor the time - my drawing skills even on a computer is substandard.

The final revision is ongoing - I have removed most of the blaster weapons for the upcoming 2.0 version. I did this because I see little use in my game of these individual weapons. Instead I've added some new suggested rules/guidelines, replacing the previous one (as I never tested it and got no feedback), making it simpler. Basically I added 3 options to buy a tweaked weapon - add a good and bad quality, OR buy with an attachment, OR buy with tweaked stats, 1 up, 1 down. These options are not intended to be used in conjunction with each other.

I have not removed all the non-standard weapons with already supplied stats - there are still dart pistols, wrist weapons and that stuff.

Melee weapons are mostly intact, with a few removed.

Furthermore each page now contains only 2 starships, I have enlarged the pictures too to fill in the blank spaces a bit.

It continues…

#13 lupex

lupex

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

Jegergryte said:

Sure, I thought about it originally - but for some unknown reason I didn't keep the tonnage. I can include that again sure.

Thanks buddy, that will make it a lot easier to use old tables etc.

#14 lupex

lupex

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

Jegergryte said:

Thanks buddy, that will make it a lot easier to use old tables etc.

#15 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

A new update of the Free-traders catalogue has been uploaded.

Any feedback is apreciated. The current upload is close to the 2.0 version, although it contains some stuff that I'm considering to remove.

There has been changes made to a lot of the ships, some of the attachments and the whole weapons section - more or less - has been removed or changed.

#16 Genghis12

Genghis12

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I've been following this since Beta and I have to say, great job Jeger!

#17 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Yep, good stuff.

And I mention this mostly to show I have actually looked at it, but the formatting appears messed up, with the names of the ships on one page and the rest of the stat block on the rest.

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#18 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

ErikB: Thanks for telling me, I thought I had fixed that before uploading - I'm not very good at this layout stuff and with that much text, images and crap floating around stuff jump about everywhere due to small changes to one place. Thanks, I will look over, fix and re-upload.

#19 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Editing issue fixed - it's re-uploaded.

Any other commentary on stats, stuff or other is welcome.

#20 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

I like it. I'm really looking forward to using some of this stuff with my players.  Suggestions: 2, and little ones. 1) Given you've commented on my Nestt conversion, feel free to add an edited version of it into the doc.  That would be awesome. I've been meaning to edit the first post to reflect the suggestions, but it's annoying to do on the iPad.  2) Since the Shadowsuit is listed in the armour section, can we have Shadowtroopers in the Stormtrooper section? Or did I just miss them?

Anyhoo, keep up the great work!

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS