Npc Rogue traders

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cjalw1

Cjalw1

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

My players want to hunt other Rogue traders, this is fine. They want to bring imperial law to the civilized places of The Expanse, My Rt is the first Adeptus Arbites Rogue trader.

I’m having a little trouble coming up with "small time" RTs, someone to hunt other than TRASK and WINTERSCALE.

I used the insta-inquisitor/Magos and system/ship generators to help populate my World, but I can’t seem to find one for RTs.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be most thankful.

If there is not one then let’s make this Thread a place to put our home brew RTs.

Ave Imperator!

#2 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Cjalw1 said:

My players want to hunt other Rogue traders, this is fine. They want to bring imperial law to the civilized places of The Expanse, My Rt is the first Adeptus Arbites Rogue trader.

I’m having a little trouble coming up with "small time" RTs, someone to hunt other than TRASK and WINTERSCALE.

I used the insta-inquisitor/Magos and system/ship generators to help populate my World, but I can’t seem to find one for RTs.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be most thankful.

If there is not one then let’s make this Thread a place to put our home brew RTs.

Ave Imperator!

If word gets out that you are hunting other RTs, they will likely band together against you. There are way too many non-human threats in the Expanse to tolerate this kind of green on blue stuff, so unless you specifically stick to those RTs that have been declared renegade (by the Administratum, Imperial Navy, Adeptus Arbites, etc.) you're working your way to a fiery death. Even then, you'll be making a lot of enemies and have little support.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody!

#3 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

On the other hand, I could see this quickly turning into The Rogue Trader Wars: Act I. While it is entirely possible that the other rogue traders will band together, nothing is stopping the more extremist or puritan rogue traders from banding together against them.

I could see it turning into a huge clusterfuck fairly quick, however, with rogue traders calling in favours all over the place, and once Lord-Admirals, Inquisitors and Chapter Masters start getting involved, someone is going to get an enormous beatdown. Peers of the Imperium being at eachother's throats is rarely a popular thing.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Fgdsfg said:

On the other hand, I could see this quickly turning into The Rogue Trader Wars: Act I. While it is entirely possible that the other rogue traders will band together, nothing is stopping the more extremist or puritan rogue traders from banding together against them.

I could see it turning into a huge clusterfuck fairly quick, however, with rogue traders calling in favours all over the place, and once Lord-Admirals, Inquisitors and Chapter Masters start getting involved, someone is going to get an enormous beatdown. Peers of the Imperium being at eachother's throats is rarely a popular thing.

I think that the fact that such a war would hurt profits (and Profit Factor) of all involved would help to keep it from getting out of control. I see most RTs as having a gentleman's agreement with guidelines on what levels of conflict are acceptable. RTs that go much beyond those limits (loose as they are) will become pariahs and are a danger to the profits of all.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody!

#5 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

HappyDaze said:

Fgdsfg said:

I think that the fact that such a war would hurt profits (and Profit Factor) of all involved would help to keep it from getting out of control. I see most RTs as having a gentleman's agreement with guidelines on what levels of conflict are acceptable. RTs that go much beyond those limits (loose as they are) will become pariahs and are a danger to the profits of all.

The same could be said about any war throughout history, really; but it never stopped anyone. The winning party would no doubt raise their profit factor, and there's definitely the prospect of eliminating rivals, opening the door for monopolization, not to mention those precious, precious assets other rogue traders have that would be ripe for the taking.

That said, however, Rogue Traders do - at the very least nominally - have certain obligations. In the case of the OP's Rogue Trader, he's out there to clean up the Koronus Expanse and  - for what it's worth - bring those peers that may have strayed from the light of the God-Emperor to "justice".

As much as much of the appeal of Rogue Trader is going buck wild and flagrantly ignore half a gazillion rules and regulations of the Imperium proper, there just *have* to be a fairly large number of them not into it for the money, that is genuinely out there in the expanse, not for personal profit or for dynastic gain, but to serve the Imperium. Old Chapter Masters of the Space Marines, Puritan Inquisitors, Sector-Generals and Lord-Admirals and Arch-Adept Lucius Numberfiddler, Grand Bureaucrat of the Tithe Imperialis aboard his ship, the Golden Tax-Return.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#6 Cjalw1

Cjalw1

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

while i appreciate those helpful responses and they are helpful, i need RTs or ideas i can use.

I really like the Concept of a massive RT war, that is something i can use i  can get past my writers block.

#7 TiLT

TiLT

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

This is the kind of player motivation that I'd turn on its head in order to let the players really experience the ironies of WH40k. In an attempt to bring "justice" to the Expanse, other rogue traders would condemn the one hunting down others of his kind. Footfall would send him packing for disrupting the economy (a dead rogue trader can't trade, after all). The Adeptus Mechanicus would maybe get annoyed to see a rogue trader mercilessly gun down their own if he goes so far as to blow up enemy ships. Influential rogue traderes could start to place bribes and use their influence, soon starting rumors about heresy and Chaos worship that would bring the Inquisition itself down on the players. Eventually they'd be stranded, having to survive by visting smaller, more isolated worlds and earning back respect, having turned into the hunted instead of the hunter. 

As for RT stats, try Lure of the Expanse. It contains a bunch of them. 

Personally I feel Rogue Trader works best when there's a kind of gentleman's agreement between the traders. My players are currently involved in a rather personal conflict with Krawkin Feckward that will likely result in his death… eventually. Apart from that, they treat any economic conflict with other rogue traders as if it was a sport. They'll threaten each other, perhaps fire a few broadsides (killing thousands in the process) or duel each others' champions, but they'll pretty much always leave the other captain alive, instead prefering to hit him where it hurts the most: The wallet. After all, they're not murderers… are they? :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS