Photo

How about this this!? Endgame question….

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 floworcrash

floworcrash

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

I know this one is perfect for you vets out there. Hope I don't confuse you guys in the process…..here we go:

So last night I am playing a 3 player game and we are on the 10th round. I have Baratheon and I'm leading on the Victory Track with 6 Strongholds. One of my opponents, House Stark, is right behind me with 5. 

Stark marches into one my Stronghold areas. We hash out the combat, where each of us has one unit in the country of question. We use Tides of Battle Cards by the way. Here's where it gets crazy. Stark wins the battle, and since he had a sword icon on his house card, my unit is destroyed. HOWEVER, I have a skull icon on my Tide card, which causes a casualty to my opponent so HIS unit is destroyed as well. 

So, I lose my Stronghold, tying me with Stark on the Victory track at 5. BUT does Stark gain the stronghold, since he defeated me battle? Keep in mind, he doesn't have a unit left in the area. Stark was saying he could leave a power token and therefore the stronghold and the win was his. 

I argued that you can't do that, since he wasn't marching out of the area, but was killed there. I argued that the area is now neutral territory, and we should remain tied on the victory track. 

Who is right? This is a crazy one I know. 

Can I take it one step further? Assumiing the game ends with the leaders tied on the Victory track. How do you break the tie? Does the Iron Throne break it, or is their another method? 

As always, you guys are awesome, and I appreciate the help. 

#2 ArcticPangolin

ArcticPangolin

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

I'll need to get back to you on control of the region after all units were destroyed.

However, resolving ties at the end of round 10 can be broken down as per page 16 of the rulebook.

Amongst those tied, whoever holds the greater number of Strongholds wins;

if still tied then amongst those tied the higher Supply Track position wins;

if still tied then amongst those tied the most available power wins;

if still tied then amongst those tied the higher position on the Iron Throne track wins.

Simple!  ;)

#3 ArcticPangolin

ArcticPangolin

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Alrighty, page 3 of the FAQ wraps up the issue nicely:

Q: At what point does the winner of a combat exert control over the embattled area?

A: Control over an area does not change hands until all stages of combat are completed. In the case of a completely emptied area, at no point of time during the combat would the area be considered controlled by the attacker (and so would not count towards his victory condition).

Whew!

#4 floworcrash

floworcrash

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Wow Arctic really appreciate it. But now I can't remember the other conditions we had going the other night. Man, I wanted to win! Guess I'll settle for tie…..FOR NOW BWAHAHAHAHA (diabolical villian laugh)

#5 Joeyk1985

Joeyk1985

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Page 24 - "Controlling Areas"

"Important: A player may only establish control when vacating
an area with a March Order. Events that would leave an area
vacant (such as negative effects from a Wildling victory) does not
permit a player to establish control after the last unit is destroyed."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS