Photo

Durin's Bane & A Light in the Dark - that work?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tohofww

tohofww

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Can you use A Light in the Dark (core 52) to disengage - negate the attack - of Durin's Bane (SaF 150)? Since Durin's Bane attacks you from the Staging Area, I wasn't sure, but consider how much eating he tends to do, I'm looking for buffering.

#2 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

I don't own this AP yet, but from the looks of it that will not work.  A Light in the Dark doesn't cancel attacks, it only puts an enemy in the staging area.  As you said, Durin's Bane attacks from the staging area (and in fact can't leave the staging area, according to the card text), so ALitD would not do anything here.

From what I understand, what people really like to do is "Hama-lock" Durin's Bane via the Feint card and Hama's ability.  Simple strategy, but breaks the challenge of the scenario.

#3 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

GrandSpleen said:

I don't own this AP yet, but from the looks of it that will not work.  A Light in the Dark doesn't cancel attacks, it only puts an enemy in the staging area.  As you said, Durin's Bane attacks from the staging area (and in fact can't leave the staging area, according to the card text), so ALitD would not do anything here.

From what I understand, what people really like to do is "Hama-lock" Durin's Bane via the Feint card and Hama's ability.  Simple strategy, but breaks the challenge of the scenario.

Hama lock as you say is destroy all idea of this scenario. You got feint yoy got Hama and now just draw cards and vuala Balrog is not a problem anymore at all! Too powerful!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#4 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

If there weren't event cards through which Durin's Bane gets additional attacks. And if there wasn't the problem that it's not unlikely that you won't get Feint in your hand before you die. In other words: Hama-Lock is a stratgey that will likely win you the game once you have it, but as it is based on the possession of a single card it's not very reliable, especially if you play with only one core set like me. There are decks that work way better against this scenario.

Anyway, I prefer a scenario which might be broken by a special combo, but is otherwise clever designed and enjoyable. No one forces you to play Hama-Lock in SaF.

#5 Highland Shade

Highland Shade

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

The newest FAQ/Errata from Feb 27th changes the wording on "Feint" to read "Choose an enemy engaged with a player. That enemy cannot attack that player this phase." 

So the "hama-lock" of Feint, no longer works :P

#6 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Highland Shade said:

The newest FAQ/Errata from Feb 27th changes the wording on "Feint" to read "Choose an enemy engaged with a player. That enemy cannot attack that player this phase." 

So the "hama-lock" of Feint, no longer works :P

Yes sure now Feint is more balanced for the 2 or more players game. But Hama lock is still perfectly work in solo game…….

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS