Photo

Three new questions, fairly deep i think they are…

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

1. Gondorian Spearman(when defending, target enemy -1 HP)

Thalin(When questing, enemies appeared -1 HP)

In Q&A it says Thalins ability resolves first, so how about spearmans ability? Does it also resolve before the shadow card/enemies ability?

2.  Perlious Swam location card (from watcher in the water quest): No more than 1 progress token can be placed each round

My question is : if this card has '1 HP' left and we quest successfully, shall we put 1 quest token first to remove this card then put the left quest tokens on current quest? Or we just ignore the left quest tokens?

3. Mountain Warg; When dealt a shadow card with no effect, return it to staging area.

My question is: what does this "no effect" mean?

a. "no effect" = non shadow cards

b.  it is a shadow card but does not resolve successfully, for example:" Shadow: if undefended…." but it is defended, so the effect does not affect the defending player

#2 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

1) Gondorian Spearman's ability is a "Response."  That means you may trigger it only at the moment that its conditions are met.  So you may deal 1 damage to an enemy at the moment that you declare the Spearman as a defender, and not later.  To be specific, that means it will be resolved after step 2 of attack resolution, but before step 3 (steps of attack resolution are on pg. 18 in the manual).

2) Perilous Swamp says "No more than 1 progress token can be placed on Perilous Swamp each round."  You can only place one progress token on this location during a given round; once you place the 2nd progress token on the location, you are free to place any remaining tokens on the current quest card.

3) I believe this means there must be no printed shadow effect.  If the card has no printed shadow effect, return the Warg to the staging area after it attacks.  If there is a printed shadow effect, the Warg will remain engaged with that player, even if the effect is canceled.  

#3 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Thank you. 2) and 3) are cleared.

For 1) do you mean the spearman only deal 1 damage after its attacked and survived or, we just exhaust him (to defend) and deal 1 damage immediately?

#4 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Now i totally understand. Pls ignore the question above. Could anyone give me some advice on how to do the quest 'watcher in the water' pls? Some enemies have counterattack ability when attacked, and i always die of high treat level.

#5 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Cutievalkyrie said:

Now i totally understand. Pls ignore the question above. Could anyone give me some advice on how to do the quest 'watcher in the water' pls? Some enemies have counterattack ability when attacked, and i always die of high treat level.

forest snare is great in this quest- i couldnt believer the watcher wasnt immune to it

as for the tentacles id get them before they attack. hands upon the bow is great for this with legolas with some dunedain marks or rivendell swords. of course you have to have these cards for this to work ;)

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#6 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

Beorn eats Grasping and Striking Tentacles for lunch.  Thrashing Tentacles are harder, so you can try to take them out without declaring an attacker.  Hail of Stones, Swfit Strike, Goblin-cleaver, Gondorian Spearman, Descendant of Thorondor are cards that can help here (is it obvious that I am a Tactics man?).

For stage 2B, getting Doors of Durin is a trivial matter if you have a way of peeking at the encounter deck (Denethor, Rumour from the Earth, etc).

#7 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thank you. Those Tactics cards cant do the one hit killing job. I use the bearman character (5 atk) who can kill most of the enemies in one attack turn.

And, the most common password could be "s" "t" and "g", if you have all of them you may success with 80% rate.

#8 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

GrandSpleen said:

3) I believe this means there must be no printed shadow effect.  If the card has no printed shadow effect, return the Warg to the staging area after it attacks.  If there is a printed shadow effect, the Warg will remain engaged with that player, even if the effect is canceled.  

This is not entirelly accurate.

See this: 

FAQ 1.3, page 7

Q. If I cancel the Shadow effect on a card dealt to the Nazgûl of Dol Guldur (CORE 102), is the effect still considered to have resolved, making me discard a character?
A: No. Resolving an effect means that the effect triggered and resolved to the fullest extent possible. Canceling the effect will prevent the Nazgûl of Dol Guldur’s ability from triggering, just as if the card had no Shadow effect to begin with.

In my opinion, Mountain Warg text will apply to the case of a shadow effect being canceled as to the answer above to a shadow card of Nazgûl of Dol Guldur…

- So if Mountain Warg is dealt a shadow card with no printed shadow effect, it's text applies;

- So if Mountain Warg is dealt a shadow card with printed shadow effect and it is cancelled, it's text applies;

- So if Mountain Warg is dealt a shadow card with printed shadow effect and it resolves, it's text doesn't applies.

Carlos José Matos

#9 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

CJMatos said:

GrandSpleen said:

This is not entirelly accurate.

See this: 

FAQ 1.3, page 7

Q. If I cancel the Shadow effect on a card dealt to the Nazgûl of Dol Guldur (CORE 102), is the effect still considered to have resolved, making me discard a character?
A: No. Resolving an effect means that the effect triggered and resolved to the fullest extent possible. Canceling the effect will prevent the Nazgûl of Dol Guldur’s ability from triggering, just as if the card had no Shadow effect to begin with.

In my opinion, Mountain Warg text will apply to the case of a shadow effect being canceled as to the answer above to a shadow card of Nazgûl of Dol Guldur…

- So if Mountain Warg is dealt a shadow card with no printed shadow effect, it's text applies;

- So if Mountain Warg is dealt a shadow card with printed shadow effect and it is cancelled, it's text applies;

- So if Mountain Warg is dealt a shadow card with printed shadow effect and it resolves, it's text doesn't applies.

No that was right. Clarification some time ago. If the shadow card has got an effect, the wargs return whether there is a shadow effect  or not. Only if you discard the shadow card beforehand or cancel the attack, they will stay.

#10 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

The Nazgul's card requires a shadow effect to "resolve," while the Warg only requires that there be an "effect."  The FAQ clarifies the meaning of "resolve" and I didn't see that as extending to the Warg card, which uses different wording.  

#11 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

If the enemy is not attacking, are we still dealing it a shadow card?

#12 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Cutievalkyrie said:

If the enemy is not attacking, are we still dealing it a shadow card?

Yes, a shadow card is still dealt to it.  Since shadow effects are only resolved during enemy attacks but it does not attack, the shadow card would have no chance of resolving and will be discarded at the end of combat phase.

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#13 Marginal0

Marginal0

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

All 'bosses' should imo have immunity to forest snare, just like the Nazgul from base set got its immunity through errata.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS