Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

Can I troll slayer use a shield?

#2 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Sure, why not? 

Obviously Troll Slayer are meant to be offensive, and do the greatest damage possible but there are many kind of Troll Slayers out there, many fighting style. Once I made a Troll Slayer who fought with a quarter staff (being the broken handle of his onc mighty axe).

Cheers,

Ceodryn

#3 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

From the warhammer lore, no they cant.

They arent allowed to have anything armourish, I think in 1st edition they had magical runic tattoos that gave protection.  They are basically trying to kill themselves by doing heroic deeds. If you ever see any of the pictures/models etc. They are either 2 handed or 2 weaponed.

#4 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

As per raw rules, they cannot wear armour, but nothing is said about shields. I guess that they can indeed carry a shield. Another discussion is if it fits indeed the warhammer lore.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#5 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

A shield is not an armor. A good round buckler can be used for many things for a Troll Slayer:

- A plate when it's time for grub

- Carry gold and jewels when you find the treasure

- Take a dump where you really have to go and can't soil the Nobleman carpets … err actually the troll slayer will probably soil them anyway

- Playing frysbee with your gobelin friends (improvised throwing weapon, with the powerful throw action card)

- Ocasionally protecting you from those nasty bugs they call arrows, but really only ocassionally

- A new helmet for your Black Orc friend once you nicely reshape it to his head

Clearly, a shield is not an armor for a Troll Slayer.

Cheers

Ceodryn

#6 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

Regarding the Warhammer Lore of Slayers and armour, this has evloved (due to WFB I guess). I do not know the warhmmaer novel, but what I amb sure of is that in Warhammer v1 Slayers where allowed to wear armour. Additionally I recall a Slayer King in WFB wearing an armour also.

#7 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

The Slayer King is an exception. Gotrek taunts him in the Current Gotrek and Felix because he is wearing Armour.

No Slayer carries a shield ever in Warhammer Lore. Not in any Felix and Gotrek novels or any book I have read. Alsoo in every army list for fantasy Battles, or Mortheim or any Boardgame or PC game where shields allowed for slayers.

Because Shields are armour, you can block arrows with it and stay behind it. Not the way Grimnir would allow it for a slayer to be.

Say NO to Shields for Slayers.

#8 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I wouldn't dare to contradic Glorian Underhill when Dwarf lore is involved.

Nonetheless, I give faith that in the book Stone and Steel from Warhammer v1 dwarf slayers where allowed to wear armour.

In my games, as Glorian says, no Dwarf Slayer is allowed to carry shield nor to wear any amour, they already carry enough shame upon their shoulders.

Cheers,

Yepes

#9 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Yepesnopes said:

I wouldn't dare to contradic Glorian Underhill when Dwarf lore is involved.

Nonetheless, I give faith that in the book Stone and Steel from Warhammer v1 dwarf slayers where allowed to wear armour.

In my games, as Glorian says, no Dwarf Slayer is allowed to carry shield nor to wear any amour, they already carry enough shame upon their shoulders.

Cheers,

Yepes

So i went back to my 2nd edition book, cant find where i put my 1st edition book. Also looked at Stone and Steel. It seems that in the roleplay game trollslayers could wear leather jerkins (light armour) and the dragon and daemonslayer could wear mail shirts. Only covers the chest area it seems, maybe they didnt like the cold back then  But still they dont have shield listed as usable.

Funny how your memory plays tricks on you. In the Battle game only the slayer king could wear armour.

#10 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

Shields are equipment that provide Defense and/or Soak.

Therefore, they are a type of armor.

So, no, a Trollslayer cannot use a shield.

#11 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

DurakBlackaxe said:

From the warhammer lore, no they cant.

They arent allowed to have anything armourish, I think in 1st edition they had magical runic tattoos that gave protection.  They are basically trying to kill themselves by doing heroic deeds. If you ever see any of the pictures/models etc. They are either 2 handed or 2 weaponed.

Sorry but in first edition, they could use armour, there was no specification. Of course, they were described as being tatooed nutcases seeking death…

On the front cover, the Troll Slayer was wearing a sleeveless mail shirt.

———
The time of change has come!

#12 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Yep i now know this Jericho. Further post down showed when I read back in old books they wore chest armour ( guarded the chest slot only). 2nd edition had various body armour slots.  But the question was about shields, and thats the one thing not on any of the allowed lists.

#13 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

In V3, I would agree with the previous poster that Shields being armour, they are prohibited.

This said, in my game, whatever feels real is allowed.

I would just make the Soak enhancing Slayer talents be used only when no armour is worn. (I would allow shield, as it seems to me its more of a defensive weapon that an armour)

———
The time of change has come!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS