On to the next!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Never too early to dream of the next board corner!

Considering everything we've seen so far, I'm going to say that the final corner, most likely a Woodlands or Forest themed set, will have a much higher quotient of Magic themes. More Magic villians, weapons, spells etc.

#2 Froman

Froman

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

My guess is a magic forest, although I would really love to see necropolis leaving from the graveyard. Although, before that happens, we are going to get a small box. As the themes for those are quite varied and have no basis in any previous versions, it's really a wild guess, My guess is something goblin themed.

#3 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

I wonder what for goal you can make for a forest expansion.

I think that it must be at least a mid level board, and not something as the dungeon expansion

I like to see a good balance between enemies and objects

Weak characters such as spell casters, can level up a bit here.

#4 evilmg

evilmg

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

Forest expansion with all the swamps, sacred spots, glades etc. sounds very climatic.  Here's my vision: The further we go into the forest, the difficulty level goes up. First spaces are quite easy - draw x cards. Then we start to get spaces similar to Runes Space in the middle region of the main board (enemy's get modifiers +1/+5). Of course at the end player has the chance to fight powerful boss, and the reward is a magic item which protects the owner from the Command Spell (limited to x spells only).

OK, but wha't next? After 4 corner expansions are there gonna be any more big ones with boards?

#5 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

To be perfectly honest, I'm ambivalent about what the fourth corner board will be.  The Dungeon and the The City were the two I was waiting for.  I'll probably pick up Highlands and whatever #4 is as well, just to round things out, but it doesn't much matter to me what it actually is.  Magic Forest sounds cool.  Graveyard does too.

As for future expansions, they could always make alternate corner boards and say you can only use one board from each corner per game.

#6 Bludgeon

Bludgeon

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

My hope is for some sort of land of the dead/afterlife board, with a lot of cards that depend on your life amount (maybe powerful items that drain your life or enemy undead that add your life value to their attack score).

You go to dungeon to gain Str/Craft, to highland to gain gold, to city to gain items, so this board should be about gaining life and fate.

#7 Bludgeon

Bludgeon

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

As for small expansions, I've been hoping for the last 1-2 years that we would get one with advanced careers, like archmage or master thief.

#8 Croonos

Croonos

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

I hope that the 4th corner will be with different board mechanics (like Timescape from 2nd ed.). Something that you can pass by rather quickly but dangerous and giving some good bonuses at the end (new kind of cards). I think Island/Sea board would fit this quite well. Probably they give us Forrest for the 4th corner but another board with the same maechanics would be boring. But FFG can surprise us :)

#9 Yokoz

Yokoz

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I personally hope to see Graveyard/Crypt style board expansion with lots of Zombies/Skeletons/Wraiths/Vampires/Liches etc. as monster cards and some reanimation objects to create your personal army of the dead for the 4th corner of the main board. It would feel damn right thematic when you play Ghoul, Vampiress, Vampire Hunter, Graverobber, Necromancer, Dread Knight :)

#10 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Love the Undead themed corner board idea…and also the Advanced Class! That would be awesome but I don't know how they could implement this without "denaturing" the gameplay Talisman is known for.  It souldn't add too much stuff (like The Dragon, which is the only expansion I didn't buy)…but I don't kow, maybe add some skill cards the you can "buy" at some spaces.

Idea: Some skills could be available only if your character has a precise amount of STR or Craft to be able to buy the skill with Trophies or Gold…

Anyways, i'm eagerly waiting to receive The City even though we mostly play 2-player games, we'll play with all 3 boards just for the kick!

#11 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

3rd edition forest had a very strong focus on craft, while dungeon had a strong focus on strength.

Forest 3rd
End villain with craft 6 (Win = 2 gold and a talisman)
7 strength monsters with 3,1pt average (21% to draw)
9 craft monsters with 4pt average (27% to draw) (including the strongest in the game outside the Tower) and the only region with a 5, 6 and 7 craft opponent.
But even the two goblins required a craft roll before fighting, else you had to subtract two from your score in battle.

And look at the cards;
No cards that give bonuses to strength or battle.
Sword of Power: Use craft instead of strength in battle
Magus: Gain craft
Scroll: Gain a spell
Forest temple: Roll a dice and add craft, gain spell for 9+.
Magic Mushroom: Roll a dice, may win craft or spell.
… and the space;
Mystic Glade: chance to miss a turn or gain craft, life or spell

But note how 4th edition is compared to 3rd edition, so this might change;
Dungeon 3rd
12 strength monsters with 4,6pt average (34% to draw)
2 craft monsters with 2pt average (5% to draw)
End villain with strength 6
Win = 2 gold and a talisman

Dungeon 4th
44 strength monsters with 3pt average (47% to draw)
33 craft monsters with 2,8pt average (35,5% to draw)
End villain with 12 strength and 12 craft
Win = 1 treasure and teleport

#12 hamboard

hamboard

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Both forest and undead corners sound cool.  Why not a haunted forest?  Oh hell yes!

#13 arkiva

arkiva

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I like the Forest idea. But Desert (Aladin themed) would be nice too.
And not only if we talk about the fourth corner… i think that The Dragon is one of the best board expansions and it is not a corner… 

Really, almost each square or space of the main board is an idea for a new expansion: The hidden valley, the Vampires…

#14 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

After the City we can count on at least one small expansion and one big corner expansion. Possibly one more small and one more big to come.

Going by theme and setting, there are plenty of ideas to develop, as you already imagined.

Forest-related lore and creatures: elfs,sprites,brownies,treants,animals, big savage monsters; druids and stone circles; secret glades; it's a good Expansion to finallly see Ranger (or Scout), Woodsman, Halfling and some kind of Witch Doctor

Undead creatures are spread throughout the expansions, I don't see the point of making a new expansion focused on them. The Blood Moon already added lots of undead creatures and a gothic horror theme, but I admit that the low level undead archetypes are missing (no Skeletons and Zombies around).

Desert and Arabian Nights could be an idea for a new Middle-Inner Region, but then Adventure cards would be available only in the Outer Region, which is not a good idea.

Sea and pirates could have been a good alternative idea to the City, but I admit that I'm fascinated by FFG last work, so I don't miss them. A separate board could work, implementing ships (or captains like Runebound) to travel around.

I don't have many ideas for small expansions: master classes are a possible topic, but they really need to work in a different way. Dark and Light Fate is another idea. In fact, there are no portions of the game that require expanding.

#15 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

I see dark/light fate being the main focus of the next small box expansion!

Ell.

#16 guciomir

guciomir

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

talismanamsilat said:

I see dark/light fate being the main focus of the next small box expansion!

Ell.

That would be a missed opportunity and I really hope that small box will NOT feature dark/light fate. This mechanic begs to be included in 4th corner expansion.

The way I see it:

- we have too many adventure cards , so adding a few dark/light cards inside the pool will not be noticeable

- we have too few dungeon/highlands (and probably city) cards

- every corner expansion should serve a purpose, is there anything left for "forest" (or graveyard, whatever comes next)? apart from craft focus ? another boss to defeat? that would be boring. I really hope dark/light tokens are there. If any player takes a lead, other characters could go to forest , get dark fate and try to make life harder for leader.

#17 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

evilmg said:

Forest expansion with all the swamps, sacred spots, glades etc. sounds very climatic.  Here's my vision: The further we go into the forest, the difficulty level goes up. First spaces are quite easy - draw x cards. Then we start to get spaces similar to Runes Space in the middle region of the main board (enemy's get modifiers +1/+5). Of course at the end player has the chance to fight powerful boss, and the reward is a magic item which protects the owner from the Command Spell (limited to x spells only).

OK, but wha't next? After 4 corner expansions are there gonna be any more big ones with boards?

These ideas are very worthy! I would like that; the difficulty going up per your example - and the item that challenges the Command Spell

#18 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

SolennelBern said:

Love the Undead themed corner board idea…and also the Advanced Class! That would be awesome but I don't know how they could implement this without "denaturing" the gameplay Talisman is known for.  It souldn't add too much stuff (like The Dragon, which is the only expansion I didn't buy)…but I don't kow, maybe add some skill cards the you can "buy" at some spaces.

Idea: Some skills could be available only if your character has a precise amount of STR or Craft to be able to buy the skill with Trophies or Gold…

Anyways, i'm eagerly waiting to receive The City even though we mostly play 2-player games, we'll play with all 3 boards just for the kick!

Not sure how unwield-y it would get, but perhaps skills could be tied to your levels of strength or craft and you would need to obtain some degree or certificate to "use" your skills.

by the same token, perhaps these degrees could be taken away (you forfeit them if you go to jail or similar).

I'm a 2 player game and we'll have a great kick too!  I have had problems generating interest in my wife, but today she saw The City for sale at a reduced price and she is buying it as we speak (Amazon = $31, approx, plus free shipping).  Naturally I have to pay her back come this payday.

#19 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

arkiva said:

I like the Forest idea. But Desert (Aladin themed) would be nice too.
And not only if we talk about the fourth corner… i think that The Dragon is one of the best board expansions and it is not a corner… 

Really, almost each square or space of the main board is an idea for a new expansion: The hidden valley, the Vampires…

this is a cool thought! I thought it myself, lol. Either small deck expansions or "alt. boards" for Vampire's Tower (Inner) and Hidden Valley and Cursed Glade.

Like a smaller board (fit between, say Dungeon and City, with maybe about 9 spaces - thats what it looks like such a small board could have. So you have 9 spaces that comprise the Vampire's Tower, with the entrance space in and the Tower room itself, where you confront him.  Keep the dynamics of losing followers or lives, but add things - a unique treasure if you get to the top; booby traps/trap doors on the way.

Likewise, a Glade or Valley could have a 9 space mini board between the Highlands and *forest* (or whatever gets the 4 th corner).

Of course I cannot speak of the Cursed Glade, unless I avow that one of the spaces must have the dreaded Witch Tree (a Warlock's Quest has mention of this tree).

#20 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

The_Warlock said:

After the City we can count on at least one small expansion and one big corner expansion. Possibly one more small and one more big to come.

Going by theme and setting, there are plenty of ideas to develop, as you already imagined.

Forest-related lore and creatures: elfs,sprites,brownies,treants,animals, big savage monsters; druids and stone circles; secret glades; it's a good Expansion to finallly see Ranger (or Scout), Woodsman, Halfling and some kind of Witch Doctor

Undead creatures are spread throughout the expansions, I don't see the point of making a new expansion focused on them. The Blood Moon already added lots of undead creatures and a gothic horror theme, but I admit that the low level undead archetypes are missing (no Skeletons and Zombies around).

Desert and Arabian Nights could be an idea for a new Middle-Inner Region, but then Adventure cards would be available only in the Outer Region, which is not a good idea.

Sea and pirates could have been a good alternative idea to the City, but I admit that I'm fascinated by FFG last work, so I don't miss them. A separate board could work, implementing ships (or captains like Runebound) to travel around.

I don't have many ideas for small expansions: master classes are a possible topic, but they really need to work in a different way. Dark and Light Fate is another idea. In fact, there are no portions of the game that require expanding.

I will sorta dissagree on the Undead - Like Jello, there's always room for more Vamps etc. I was kinda wishing that instead of another (we got 2) Vampire Princes, we could get a  City Vampire, not quite as strong, but still formidable (Craft 6?).

At any rate, I'm glad there are fans for Desert themes, and could see lots of good ideas for that.

I know at some point Dark and Light fate will get more functionality too. It seems the easiest way to use them is 'track' the usage of light or dark somehow, and then if a 'threshold' is reached, *something* can/happen.

My example would be - a small expansion set for Gods/Deities.  If you choose to be a "Believer" you get a card or area to place the fates you pay for normal use.  If you pay a fate for a strength related concern, place it as LIGHT on your card/area, and then craft concerns are tracked with dark {this is actually in the City, as "Blessings"}. Let's say you pay 3 Dark fate for 3 craft encounters over several turns. Once that threshold is reached you get a reward or punishment from The God's deck - and vice a versa for Light.  So you have Demonic type Gods and you have non-demonic Gods with attendent rewards or punishments, for the Believer.

well, not all the way thought out, but thats all I got.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS