NR Community Size vs. AGoT

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I play Netrunner and A Game of Thrones in the NYC metas. The Netrunner group had 16 players at a Tuesday night meetup the other day. Suffice to say it was significantly more than the AGoT group. Anyone else know the comparative sizes of their local AGoT meta to the NR meta? I'm curious if this is a trend or an exception.

#2 Kennon

Kennon

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

What I mainly see down here is that the newer LCGs (Netrunner and Star Wars) are cannibalizing play groups. So folks that formerly played Thrones have more or less jumped ship for the new stuff.

#3 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

I see way more people playing StarWars and Netrunner around here however its mostly new players. When they have a choice of paying 80 bucks or so to start playing competatively or paying 350+ they normaly chose the cheaper. Then some of the older thrones players see all these guys playing the other game which they also enjoy so they just say F it I will just play the game where i can find players any day of the week…Ottawa Thrones player ~16, Netrunner ~34 and StarWars I have no idea their are to many right now…their everywhere

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Somewhat locally, Halifax, Netrunner has brought in a ton of LCG players who never played LCGs before. There is 20 people who play. AGoT has 6. So in a way Netrunner is a good thing as it has brought in and exposed a lot of people to LCGs who had not played them before. We have been using that to help expose all of the LCGs and teach others to play.

#5 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

Well, the AGOT players haven't had any influx of new cards since November, and the new games are new and flashy (And much easier to recruit new players for, because of a lower financial and knowledge barrier to entry). It's not all that surprising… as for whether it's a long term trend, we won't know until we start hitting regionals.

I've been playing Netrunner and SW with quite a few new players as well, because of the barrier to entry in AGOT - but AGOT is still by far my favourite game.

#6 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

Have you guys had any success converting Netrunner players to AGoT? All of our Netrunner players have, like, zero interest in AGoT and I haven't had any luck.

#7 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Thrones is an amazingly fun game. In fact, it is still my favorite of FFG's LCGs. But, at this point, the buy-in to be competitive is just too high. I don't know what the cost of 3 core sets, one copy of every chapter pack and one copy of every deluxe expansion is exactly, but it is certainly alot more than buying playsets of the entire card pool for NetRunner and Star Wars combined. 

If I was a new player, and had to choose between buying into AGoT, or buying into NR and SW, and also still having a few hundred dollars in my pocket, it would hardly be a difficult decision. 

People who have been playing AGoT will keep playing AGoT. But, unless some new format is announced, or there is some sort of rotation, etc., the long-time players will continue to play, but will die off slowly, until the game dies with a whimper after a few years. 

I think that FFG should adopt a few different formats with their games. It is only relevant for Thrones and maybe CoC right now, but it will be relevant for SW and NR later. Perhaps have a sort of "Legacy" tournament, where players can use the entire card pool, and also a sort of "Standard" tournament, where people can use the core sets, and peraps the last 2-3 cycles of chapter packs/force packs/data packs, etc. It is what MTG had to do over time, and I think that it would be a wise move for FFG to do with their LCGs also.

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#8 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

I don't know anybody that plays NR or SW yet, however, I also don't have a routine meta meet up like some of you may have in your area. 

Considering we are on month 3 since the release of new AGoT content and considering NR and SW are fresh games, I think that I would expect more people to play one or the other over AGoT right now at public meet up places.  As soon as one person is seen playing NR or SW, it can immediately draw the interest of people that are not familiar with it and would be interested in something different than AGoT.

Honestly, I think AGoT could use some kind of a shake up, and monthly releases of CP's is not enough.  I think a potential shake up at a minimum is a deluxe box as it introduces 55-60 new cards into the card pool immediately.  I core set size equivalent would be even better in my opinion.

A new mechanic is not enough for a shake up unless it is introduced with a large quantity of new cards all at once.  In the upcoming cycle with the naval enhancement, you may not be able to take advantage of several cards early on because they are still missing the support they'd receive from later packs, and possibly only in cumulation of the entire cycle.

Anyway - sorry for going off topic.  On topic however, community size easily intersects with each other.  If you see 16 people playing NetRunner, that doesn't mean they are not also inclusive of the AGoT community.  I think NetRunner and Star Wars are going to trend for a little while, and eventually even themselves out.  Honestly, if I played Star Wars and enjoyed it, I'd probably play it over AGoT for a few months because it's a fresh game and there is a lot of new **** to explore.

#9 thedaffodilfish

thedaffodilfish

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Totalgit and I have been trying to grow the AGOT meta in Edinburgh most of last year. There's 5 of us that play regularly, but we also all play Netrunner and Star Wars on the side too. Other than that there's not been much take up so far in Thrones (perhaps we're doing it wrong?), with a few bystanders commenting that they just hate the theme.

Compared to this, Netrunner has a regular monthly tournament, with people travelling from Newcastle to the last one, and a growing player base in the rest of Scotland. The UK and European Netrunner forums on Facebook are jumping and there's way thriving NR community on G+, whereas I'm seemingly the only player in the AGOT community.

#10 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

@Bomb - Any ideas to kickstart AGoT are good at this point, off-topic or not. The game feels like it is languishing right now and I think it's gonna need some heavy community support to bring it back.

@TheDaffodilFish - Have you guys considered trying to do regular tourneys? It's really weird how in this game, the individual chapter packs minimally change the game while in NR each chapter pack just seems to TOTALLY change the game. Could there be some mix of packs that would make tourneys interesting? Maybe a Champions cycle only tourney (with expansions and Valar/Wildfire)?

#11 Francisco G.

Francisco G.

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

At least in our small community there is only 2 guys that changed to netrunner, but our community of agot is bigger than the others. 

In our tourney day (AGOT; Netrunner; SW) the numbers where: 

11 for Agot

5 for Net runner

8 For SW (and 4 where my friends and I which have SW as a secondary game)

For friendly meetings the numbers are more like

20 for Agot

7-8 for netrunner

9-10 for starwars

#12 Andrew.Taon

Andrew.Taon

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

I love customizable cad games and I think the LCG concept is a gamer's game.  The "buy in" to be competitive and play good decks is (theoretically) low enough to allow anyone to start the game with good decks and cards and not need to spend $400 every time they want to change their deck.

HOWEVER, the "low buy in" concept loses it's value when there are 54 expansions including the one coming out, 6 deluxe expansions, and a core set you need 2 or 3 of.  That is around $1,100 retail depending on how many core sets you get.  When you make all the cards legal all the time and don't rotate the expansions, it is inevitable that the "buy in" for new players is eventually too much and (as a previous poster pointed out) the game will eventually stagnate and die.

I love AGoT and have spent that $1,000 on it over time, but I would never pretend that it's a good idea for a friend to play anything but casually when games like Netrunner and Star Wars can be started for way cheaper and that people can grow with the game as players.  Is there a solutions? I don't know if there is one or what the solution is, but I think we've defined the problem.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS