Photo

How is this compared to War of the Ring?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Luftwaffe Flak

Luftwaffe Flak

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:01 PM

I have War of the Ring but havent been able to figure the rules out yet, so Ive been eyeing this and the other Lord of the Rings game. Whats the differences to these two games? TIA

#2 ced1106

ced1106

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

They're entirely different. "War of the Ring" plays more like a wargame. "The Confrontation" plays sorta like Stratego.

What other games do you enjoy? Most Eurogamers enjoy The Confrontation, while Ameritrash (eg. Axis and Allies) players War of the Ring.

#3 Luftwaffe Flak

Luftwaffe Flak

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

Im kinda a mix of both, I was just curious about this game as I havent been able to figure War of the Ring out yet LOL.

#4 Joram

Joram

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

This game is really easy to learn, quick to play (half an hour max once you know what you are doing), and is a really nice challenge every time.

It does play a little like Stratego in that all of the pieces are hidden from your opponent, but you can use cards to influence the outcome of each encounter, so it isn't a "my piece is higher, yours loses" situation.

The Fellowship player has much weaker characters on the whole, meaning they cannot win by force. The Fellowship player is usually trying to kill just enough Shadow Characters to open a path to Mordor for Frodo. The Shadow player, meanwhile, is trying to keep all paths guarded.

This is just about as different as it possibly could be from War of the Ring.

#5 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

Joram said:

This game is really easy to learn, quick to play (half an hour max once you know what you are doing), and is a really nice challenge every time.

I've been eyeing this game as well, though have had (and understood  the rules) WotR since the reprint hit stores. Then again, I'm a Tolkien nut (Middle-Earth ccg is one of my all-time favourites).

Joram, you mean to say you don't have quick games of WotR  ?

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#6 Tawnos76

Tawnos76

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:51 AM

I like this game and it is a very quick play and easy to learn.  The Deluxe edition is the best version to pick up as it has more to choose from but the basic version is just fine by itself.

#7 Joram

Joram

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:53 AM

Dam said:

Joram said:

I've been eyeing this game as well, though have had (and understood  the rules) WotR since the reprint hit stores. Then again, I'm a Tolkien nut (Middle-Earth ccg is one of my all-time favourites).

Joram, you mean to say you don't have quick games of WotR  ?

I suppose that it depends on your definition of "quick".

#8 TheChampIsHere

TheChampIsHere

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

What do you mean by "quick"?

#9 Junito

Junito

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

Is there a video tutorial?...

#10 Joram

Joram

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

No. This game came out before FFG did those sorts of things.

However, the rules are very simple and are available for download on the site.

#11 morpheus

morpheus

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:36 AM

Junito said:

Is there a video tutorial?...

not the "official" one, but I think this one will be fine. ;)

#12 KONRAD

KONRAD

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:01 AM

that wuz just a great video...thanx!

#13 jimcarry

jimcarry

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

so impress me that wo a great video……………………….

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS