Solo Player here…. Yes I took the plunge

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Battlestar

Battlestar

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

So after weighing the pros and cons I've decided to go ahead and give this game a chance… I hope I didn't make a mistake. Anyways I have been wondering if anybody has attempted to come up with any solo rule variants yet…. or is it even possible?

I don't have alot of people I can play with so any solo gameplay would be great. Also I hear about playing it online how does that work?

#2 jhorphear

jhorphear

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

i would imahing you could play it with skype or card table.  if your town has a card/comic shop, you should go down there and maybe put up a flyer looking for players.  or maybe you can check meetups.com and setup a group or see if anyone else in your area plays games.

#3 Troopershark

Troopershark

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

You can play on-live using OCTGN, I have played several games and it's pretty well done, the mechanics take a few turns to get used to, but not too bad.  I would prefer if there was less automation to force learning on players ofr triggers, but it's well done, and you can usually find an opponent in a reasonable amount of time.

Other then playing both hands, which works fine but bluffing yourself in edge battles might be difficult, not sure how solo can work here…

#4 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

OCTGN works great. I agree the automation is a bit clunky and unnecessary. So I just don't use it. The beauty of the plugin is you can just play like you would in real life. Drag your cards onto the table and play.

#5 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Any OCTGN support for MAC? I didn't see any …

FWIW, I also took the plunge with no one in the area that plays. Hoping to change that though …

Welcome to the machine!

#6 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

Troopershark said:

Other then playing both hands, which works fine but bluffing yourself in edge battles might be difficult, not sure how solo can work here…

I have been doing this a lot lately. My local game store closes relatively early (8:00 pm), and with family responsibilities, I can't really leave the house before then to go play a card game. I've had some very fun solo me vs. myself games. The tension of the edge battle is removed, and you can't really get practice with that bluffing aspect of the game, but I tend to look at it in a few ways:

1) I at least get a game in since I'm dying to play it every night.

2) It's a fun exercise in seeing how certain decks will match up against each other or see if a deck has enough resources, too many resources, etc.

3) It's great tactical practice because it forces you to think from both players' perspectives and you can start to see how to maneuver an opponent into a sort of checkmate.

Finding an opponent is obviously superior, but I'm finding that these solo games are pretty fun too.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#7 Battlestar

Battlestar

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

Budgernaut said:

Troopershark said:

I have been doing this a lot lately. My local game store closes relatively early (8:00 pm), and with family responsibilities, I can't really leave the house before then to go play a card game. I've had some very fun solo me vs. myself games. The tension of the edge battle is removed, and you can't really get practice with that bluffing aspect of the game, but I tend to look at it in a few ways:

1) I at least get a game in since I'm dying to play it every night.

2) It's a fun exercise in seeing how certain decks will match up against each other or see if a deck has enough resources, too many resources, etc.

3) It's great tactical practice because it forces you to think from both players' perspectives and you can start to see how to maneuver an opponent into a sort of checkmate.

Finding an opponent is obviously superior, but I'm finding that these solo games are pretty fun too.

That sounds very interesting thanks. I haven't played yet either solo or vs a player yet so I guess I should watch the tutorial videos as reading the book I find myself skimming it alot of times as alot of the terms and stuff I have picked up reading the forum posts.

#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

I also play both decks against myself relatively often to test.  The trick in edge battles is to be honest with yourself on what you would do in that situation if you didn't know the other hand.  Much easier said than done, but you can at least approximate your goal.

#9 Tappiocca

Tappiocca

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

dbmeboy said:

The trick in edge battles is to be honest with yourself on what you would do in that situation if you didn't know the other hand.  Much easier said than done, but you can at least approximate your goal.

That does create a pickle sometimes. =)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS