Vehicle rules - specifically, collisions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeans_Stealer

Jeans_Stealer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Firstly… does anyone even use these rules anymore? They've not appeared in any sourcebooks since.

The english in the collisions section doesn't make a great deal of sense, What the Car takes is clear (how big is the object? What speed is it travelling at?) but what the object takes… is dependant on itself? What? Wouldn't the damage to the object be the Vehicle's size plus the speed the vehicle is moving?

EXAMPLE (using word-for-word RAW)
If car hits bollard, car takes damage from bollard of 1D10 & will slow the car down one step. Car will be 'fine'.
bollard takes… 1D10 damage? What? "For the object hit, the Damage is determined by the size of the object." EH? The Car would MANGLE the bollard.

SOLUTION
I'm thinking… forget RAW on this, as it makes no sense. Vehicle Hits object = Cruising Truck hits stationary Car. 

Car takes 3D10 + 6 Damage. (enourmous + 3 bands above stationary)

Truck takes 2D10 Damage. (Hulking object.)

Is this how you guys have done it?

MY REASONS FOR ASKING:
Shuttle approaches freighter in gas-clogged low-visibility low orbit/high atmosphere. Shuttle Proxy warning goes off, pilot attempts to stop (match speed, basically, challenging maneuver/hard brake.) Fails pilot test, shuttle hits freighter. Shuttle does (?) damage to freighter hull.  Freighter does 4D10(?!) damage to the shuttle. Even if he loses control of the shuttle it's probably going to bounce off the freighter.  Wanna make sure i'm getting it right… This could result in anything from 'whoops' to 'ABANDON SHUTTLE!'

What say you?

#2 Jeans_Stealer

Jeans_Stealer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Jeans_Stealer said:

Firstly… does anyone even use these rules anymore? They've not appeared in any sourcebooks since.

The english in the collisions section doesn't make a great deal of sense, What the Car takes is clear (how big is the object? What speed is it travelling at?) but what the object takes… is dependant on itself? What? Wouldn't the damage to the object be the Vehicle's size plus the speed the vehicle is moving?

EXAMPLE (using word-for-word RAW)
If car hits bollard, car takes damage from bollard of 1D10 & will slow the car down one step. Car will be 'fine'.
bollard takes… 1D10 damage? What? "For the object hit, the Damage is determined by the size of the object." EH? The Car would MANGLE the bollard.

SOLUTION
I'm thinking… forget RAW on this, as it makes no sense. Vehicle Hits object = Cruising Truck hits stationary Car. 

Car takes 3D10 + 6 Damage. (enourmous + 3 bands above stationary)

Truck takes 2D10 Damage. (Hulking object.)

Is this how you guys have done it?

MY REASONS FOR ASKING:
Shuttle approaches freighter in gas-clogged low-visibility low orbit/high atmosphere. Shuttle Proxy warning goes off, pilot attempts to stop (match speed, basically, challenging maneuver/hard brake.) Fails pilot test, shuttle hits freighter. Shuttle does (?) damage to freighter hull.  Freighter does 4D10(?!) damage to the shuttle. Even if he loses control of the shuttle it's probably going to bounce off the freighter.  Wanna make sure i'm getting it right… This could result in anything from 'whoops' to 'ABANDON SHUTTLE!'

What say you?

So… No one has anything on this? the Vehicle rules are simply not used any more, and I should just take a rough Guess at it?

#3 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yeah… Dark Heresy doesn't really have official vehicle rules. The most up-to-date vehicle rules are in Only War. I'd suggest using those.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#4 Jeans_Stealer

Jeans_Stealer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

Yeah… Dark Heresy doesn't really have official vehicle rules. The most up-to-date vehicle rules are in Only War. I'd suggest using those.

BYE

Well I was using 'Apocrypha' and they look sort of official, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience using them (and running over mooks for 2D10 +6 Damage…)
The wording is mad though, as described above. The Only War rules also don't cover SPACECRAFT, which is where my problem technically lies. The Only War rules are a bit 'hand wave' at collisions, and although this is technically screaming at me 'hand wave this mofo ' I really don't want to. You crash the boat, you're walking home.

Anyone tried this ruleset?

#5 Laoin

Laoin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hm… I don't play Rogue Trader (although I have most of the RT publications). So I can't remember if there is something about spacecraft collisions in those books. But it might be usefull to check the RT rules.

#6 Jeans_Stealer

Jeans_Stealer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Laoin said:

Hm… I don't play Rogue Trader (although I have most of the RT publications). So I can't remember if there is something about spacecraft collisions in those books. But it might be usefull to check the RT rules.

Humm… they cover Starcraft the size of cruisers hitting each other, but I'm looking for something along the lines of the Bebop (The Awesome ship from Cowboy Bebop) running into the Event Horizon.

Now… It should be covered by the 'Apocrypha' titled ruleset STILL found online (merely search "DH vehicle rules" for someone to provide a link somewhere here on the forums) but does anyone have any experience with these rules? I don't want to Hand-Wave. I want there to be a chance of players crashing a monumentally-expensive shuttlecraft into a freighter and saying "whoops" or "TO THE ESCAPE PODS!"

If no-one has then I'll just have to take a random stab at interpretation, as I've attempted above (and is practically the equivalent of Hand-Waving.) 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS