Photo

My teeth hurt already, but I think I'm going to like it! (Stars of Iniquity)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Stars of Iniquity is out, and while I've only skimmed it so far, boy is it crunchy. Building planets and systems is much more developed than I had expected, and the colony creation and management looks interesting. I do have a few players at the table that won't want to bother with any of this, but I also have a few that will eat this up… crunch, crunch, crunch.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#2 TiLT

TiLT

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I'm eagerly looking forward to this book. Letting the players truly explore the unknown is good, and this will help a lot. Combined with the Koronus Bestiary, this should keep this part of the game covered. 

Since my group just finished killing off a Greater Demon of Tzeentch that had been accidentally summoned on Footfall (took them 4 sessions. It was quite the epic adventure), they're going to need something lighter to relax with, and exploration should be just the thing. 

#3 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Can't wait for the pdf to come out.

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

The section on Treasures - where you can add Archeotech, Xenotech, or Warp-Taint traits to existing equipment (from personal gear to Starship Components) is pretty awesome and allows for a great variety of results without requiring a seperate entry for each. I especially love the way the Xenotech options are split up for Ork/Eldar/Tau/Necron/Yu'Vath (but can be used for other xenos races taking similar tech paths).

#5 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

HappyDaze said:

Stars of Iniquity is out, and while I've only skimmed it so far, boy is it crunchy. Building planets and systems is much more developed than I had expected, and the colony creation and management looks interesting. I do have a few players at the table that won't want to bother with any of this, but I also have a few that will eat this up… crunch, crunch, crunch.

Ok, there's something amiss here. FFG are not releasing books beyond the US quick enough. Outer Reaches still hasn't seen a UK release and Tome of Blood has only just come out.

#6 Berhagen

Berhagen

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Actually Navis Primer arrived in the EU about à month before the US, so it really seems to be on an individual release basis.

#7 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Could you give us full list of contents (ideally with your comentary), those Treasures sounds fun.

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#8 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

TorogTarkdacil812 said:

Could you give us full list of contents (ideally with your comentary), those Treasures sounds fun.

I'll summarize since I can't stand typing out an entire ToC.

1) Make the system.

2) Make the planet(s) in the system that are most interesting.

3) Find the Profit Motive that gets the PCs to go there (the Treasures are one possiblilty).

4) Determine sites on the planet (or in orbit of it, etc.) where the adventure will take place.

5) Profit or Die!!!

Also about 20 pages on building colonies, a few pages of new gear, and finally a few mobile factions are written up (a pirate band, some explorators, an ork freebooter band, and some oddball kroot).

#9 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

HappyDaze said:

TorogTarkdacil812 said:

I'll summarize since I can't stand typing out an entire ToC.

1) Make the system.

2) Make the planet(s) in the system that are most interesting.

3) Find the Profit Motive that gets the PCs to go there (the Treasures are one possiblilty).

4) Determine sites on the planet (or in orbit of it, etc.) where the adventure will take place.

5) Profit or Die!!!

Also about 20 pages on building colonies, a few pages of new gear, and finally a few mobile factions are written up (a pirate band, some explorators, an ork freebooter band, and some oddball kroot).

That souds awesome, damn u!  Now I gotta order it! (shucks…)

#10 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Berhagen said:

Actually Navis Primer arrived in the EU about à month before the US, so it really seems to be on an individual release basis.

I don't know if that's true, but even so that's one book. Meanwhile we are still waiting for Outer Reaches as well.

#11 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

signoftheserpent said:

Berhagen said:

I don't know if that's true, but even so that's one book. Meanwhile we are still waiting for Outer Reaches as well.

No reason for the skepticism - it's true. If you're consistently having problems getting the products, consider using a different market (or move). Complaining here certainly can't help as it's not something FFG can control once it's out of their warehouses.

#12 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Are there any alternate career ranks and character options in the book?

And if so, may I ask you to waste a moment of your valuable time and inquire as to what these may be, and if it's not entirely clear, explain what they are? It would be much appreciated.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#13 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

Fgdsfg said:

And if so, may I ask you to waste a moment of your valuable time and inquire as to what these may be, and if it's not entirely clear, explain what they are? It would be much appreciated.

No.

This is almost entirely a GM-aimed book. The intent is to give the pieces needed to craft adventures - sort of a random adventure generator tied into the random system/planet generator.  Of course, you can skip the random and just make selections if you like.

#14 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

HappyDaze said:

Fgdsfg said:

No.

This is almost entirely a GM-aimed book. The intent is to give the pieces needed to craft adventures - sort of a random adventure generator tied into the random system/planet generator.  Of course, you can skip the random and just make selections if you like.

Awww, that makes me a bit sad to hear. I was hoping on some Reaver/Raider/Fringe love. Oh well. Thanks anyway. :)

Real men earn their fun

Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.

#15 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

So far, One of the Crunchiest supplements put out yet. Right up there with the Inquisitors handbook and Into the Storm. Good job FFG! I do like Happydaze suggestion of a computer based system/world generator. Any takers?

#16 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:36 AM

HappyDaze said:

signoftheserpent said:

Berhagen said:

No reason for the skepticism - it's true. If you're consistently having problems getting the products, consider using a different market (or move). Complaining here certainly can't help as it's not something FFG can control once it's out of their warehouses.

Oh dear. Fanboy time again.

Clearly you don't understand any of this, so let me explain.

Some of FFG's products have not appeared in the UK. They have not been listed as available by the distributor, Esdevium. If they don't list it, shops can't order it. That's how it works. The fault then lies with FFG since they shop to the distributor. If it's not listed it's because FFG has a particular problem with those books.

I didn't say i consistently had problems. I said there are some books that have yet to become available. I'm afraid I can't help you if you don't bother to do me the courtesy of reading what has been written.

Suggesting I move is quite ridiculous, do you seriously think someone is going to emigrate to the US just to get access to a roleplaying book?

#17 TiLT

TiLT

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm currently sitting with the book in front of me, bought in Norway from a Norwegian retailer. This is mere days after the book's first appearances in the US, so if the UK hasn't got it yet, something is very different in how books are sent there. 

#18 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

signoftheserpent said:

HappyDaze said:

signoftheserpent said:

Berhagen said:

Some of FFG's products have not appeared in the UK. They have not been listed as available by the distributor, Esdevium. If they don't list it, shops can't order it. That's how it works. The fault then lies with FFG since they shop to the distributor. If it's not listed it's because FFG has a particular problem with those books.

I didn't say i consistently had problems. I said there are some books that have yet to become available. I'm afraid I can't help you if you don't bother to do me the courtesy of reading what has been written.

Suggesting I move is quite ridiculous, do you seriously think someone is going to emigrate to the US just to get access to a roleplaying book?

LOL got to love people with no reasoning in thier head. Yeah emmigration for rpg access is kind of rediculous. Personally I stopped buying hard copies of the books last year, and have gone entirely PDF. Ive never tried but I would assume you could get them that way regardless of location. I highly reccomend it, as I have my whole 40k library on my phone and can prep adventures anywhere im at.

Thinking about another thread, I wonder if any pdf readers out there can auto translate the text for those wanting books in other languages. I know google can auto translate web pages, so I wonder if the pdf readers can too.

#19 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Cryhavok said:

signoftheserpent said:

HappyDaze said:

signoftheserpent said:

Berhagen said:

LOL got to love people with no reasoning in thier head. Yeah emmigration for rpg access is kind of rediculous. Personally I stopped buying hard copies of the books last year, and have gone entirely PDF. Ive never tried but I would assume you could get them that way regardless of location. I highly reccomend it, as I have my whole 40k library on my phone and can prep adventures anywhere im at.

Thinking about another thread, I wonder if any pdf readers out there can auto translate the text for those wanting books in other languages. I know google can auto translate web pages, so I wonder if the pdf readers can too.

Some people don't want .pdfs, which I fully understand. If I could afford it, I would definitely buy all the books hardcover, and if I was planning to buy the hardcover, why should I shell out extra to have it as .pdf?

Real men earn their fun

#20 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

Cryhavok said:

Why are you mentioning pdf's?

PDF is no use to me at all.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS