Overlooked ILM-Developed Ships from Star Wars Live Action

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Red331

Red331

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Sorry to start a whole separate post on this, but what the heck - if there can be a "Where's Kitster" campaign, then maybe there's room for another obscure Star Wars-based request!

I respectfully request that the fine folks at Fantasy Flight finally flesh out stats and background descriptions for two ships from the live action Star Wars films that - despite being at least partially constructed in full scale with the assistance of the ILM teams - have yet to be defined in the EU: 

Noa Briqualon's scout ship and the Towani starcruiser, both from the much-maligned Ewok Movies.

Yes, I know - the Ewok movies bring back painful memories to many people (including myself), but these two ships actually were pretty well designed - particularly Noa's ship.  The artist Allen Nunis, who penned a large amount of illustrations in the old West End Games materials, included a couple illustrations of ships based on Noa's ship design, but the ship itself never got the background or game stats that I think it deserved.

Anyway, if the talented and creative staff of FFG could include these ships and/or ship types in a future supplement, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for considering my obscure, but sincere, request!

#2 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Red331 said:

Yes, I know - the Ewok movies bring back painful memories to many people (including myself),

I actually enjoyed the Ewok movies ("Caravan of Courage" and "Ewok's Battle for Endor"), bought them on DVD, and have enjoyed watching them with my son.

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#3 Lord_Toast

Lord_Toast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Stormtrooper721 said:

Red331 said:

Yes, I know - the Ewok movies bring back painful memories to many people (including myself),

I actually enjoyed the Ewok movies ("Caravan of Courage" and "Ewok's Battle for Endor"), bought them on DVD, and have enjoyed watching them with my son.

Great, now I need to go out and buy the DVDs.  When my son is old enough we can watch them together.  The only painful memories I have were not from these TV movies nor the cartoon series but the woefully inadequate Marvel comics series.

#4 Locrious

Locrious

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

I’m sure FFG will do some sort of “Starships of the Galaxy” supplement with ship customization rules and careers and stuff… It’s too integral to the game. I wouldn’t be opposed to these ships being included in such a supplement. Hey, the more the merrier.   

#5 Red331

Red331

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

That's what I'm hoping too, Locrious - I think they'd be great additions to a "Ship" supplement.  Or they could be included in a supplement that includes the forest moon of Endor.

As to the Ewok movies - they had their moments (albeit brief ones), but I think even though they were targeted for a younger audience, they still were disappointing.  The last scene in Battle for Endor with Noa's ship flying overhead and then accelarating over the horizon is probably my favorite part of either film.  reir

#6 Locrious

Locrious

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Red331 said:

Or they could be included in a supplement that includes the forest moon of Endor.

That sounds like an "Age of Rebellion" supplement to me. Odds are there would be a supplement to cover all the major battles of the original trilogy as well as little adventure seeds and fluff for the various scenarios and locations. Like, "While tracking Imperial Scout Troopers in the forrest on Endor, you come across a downed ship" kind of thing. Then they'd list the stats for the craft etc. You know how it goes.

#7 Red331

Red331

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

That makes sense, Locrious.  The only thing is, I'm not sure about the timing - I forget what time Leland Chee finally set the Ewok movies in for the holocron - seems like it changed a few times.  Really I'd just be happy if they included some generic ship types for those two ships - i.e. Corellian Engineering Corporation Ark IV Freighter and Sienar Fleet Systems G8 Domicile Transport, or whatever.  Deck plans would be awesome too - especially for Noa's ship.

Come on, everyone - let's show a little love for the Ewok movies!

Did I actually just say that?

Yub nub!

#8 Cryix

Cryix

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Actually, given the story of Noah and Salak, the star cruiser they flew would probably be an pretty awesome inclusion in Edge of the Empire as a PC ship. It was more or less YT-sized but isnt down the well traveled road of a corellian YT-XXXX light freighter. 

I think this is a great idea. 

#9 Red331

Red331

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I agree, Cryix - especially since it seems Star Wars EU is already a little overpopulated with YT- ships these days.  It's nice to have some alternative designs - something different - like the GX1 Short Hauler for example. 

I also agree that Noa and Salak's backstory could provide some good foundation for Noa's ship.  They were a "couple of young fellas out to tear up the galaxy" after all - in the words of Wilfred Brimley.

Sticking with that theme, including these ship types in future Fantasy Flight materials is "the right thing to do!"

Better get back to my oatmeal.

#10 Cryix

Cryix

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Red331 said:

Yub nub!

#11 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Considering the lack of information on these ships I can't even make much of a guestimate, but I can try… they're most likely silhouette 4, have a speed of 3 (perhaps 4 on the scout ship), armour around 4, their hull threshold should be about 20, Strain I guess 10-14. Handling -1 or 0, encumbrance capacity is … impossible to guess really. They've got hyperdrives, I guess x1 for the scout and x2 for the other - or x2 for both - the backup for the scout could be better than the other one.

They're unarmed. Sensor range would be short for one and perhaps medium for the scout ship. I don't think either has shield, perhaps 1/0 on the scout ship - I am sort of faouring the scout ship for some reason, don't know why.

Crew is 1 pilot, and anything else is a bonus I'd say. Passenger capacity is easier for those that have seen the films to make a guess at.

So there you have some ideas. Perhaps not what you were really asking for, but I couldn't help myself… I enjoy making ships.

Oh, and if any of you follow the links to my supplement in my signature, please give me feedback on silhouette sizes, and the guidelines at the end of the Free-traders catalogue - I'm in dire need for suggestions on that part.

Disclamer: I have not seen the movies, I have no clue about these ships' capabilities.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#12 Red331

Red331

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the ideas for stats for the two Ewok-movie ships, Jegergryte.  I think you're right that many of their capabilities are difficult to guess based on what little is known about them, but you seem to have put together some good thoughts.  I must admit that I'm still learning the new FFG stat mechanics - I'm more familiar with the old d6 system.

One correction though with armaments.  While it does seem like a reasonable assumption that the Towani cruiser is unarmed, Noa's ship has at least three weapons/guns.  It's difficult to determine where on the ship they're located, since they're mainly shown in closeup shots without much reference to the main ship body, but it looks like there's a port and starboard side laser cannons that can be manually fired, and then another gun (almost acts like a mini-turbo laser with its recoil action) that folds out from the fuselage somewhere.  If you fast forward to about 19:40 into the following YouTube video of Battle for Endor, you can see them:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NsVJAbksAc

I think you're right to "favor" Noa's scout ship, since it does appear to have higher capabilities and armaments, and the Towani cruiser is more like a Star Wars version of a family minivan - still cool looking though.

#13 Red331

Red331

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hey FFG Folks!  We're several publications in now, and still no offical stats for the starships of the Ewok Movies.  What gives?!!  Heck, there's even a pdf available of the Black Sun adventure that's come out before the Ewok ships - surely that couldn't be of a higher priority than finally giving Mr. Quaker Oats, Noa Briqualon himself, his rightful place in Star Wars RPG lore!!  :)

Yes, I know - I'll get back on my medication.  :)

PS - I think Noa's ship should be called the Gallivanter.  See what Mr. Leland Chee thinks about that.  :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS