Jump to content



Photo

Jay Talks Dice


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Fiddleback

Fiddleback

    Member

  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

Your erstwhile game designer, Jay Little, has been kind enough to duscuss the dice system and the reasoning behind it with us at The GSA.  Just what is a Terminal Outcome?  Is there some sort of pill I can take for it?  Find out at: http://gsa.thegamern...minal-outcomes/

 

Enjoy!


Freelance Editor and Writer  (Ed: Rogue Trader: Faith and CoinStar Wars: Age of Rebellion Beta) - Contributor of the Skill Monkey and Stormtrooper Poetry segments to The Order 66 Podcast - Bon Vivant and gadabout town.

 

 


#2 Locrious

Locrious

    Member

  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Great article. Very thorough. Just PLEASE make enough of them this time!

I can’t find any for Warhammer Fantasy, and It would be disheartening to have the same situation for EotE. Very excited for the game itself, though. Cheers.



#3 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

    Member

  • Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

That was a great article!

A good example I liken it to is Indiana Jones. Indy jumps across the chasm. Does he succeed? No, he fails! BUT, he's able to to grab onto some vegetation. BUT the vegetation starts pulling out of the floor! Can he climb it before it pulls out completely? Yes, he can! BUT, a stone doorway is going to seal him in! Can he get through it in time? And if he does, can he retrieve his whip before it closes? Awesome. :)


IV  V  VI  I  III  II


#4 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

    Member

  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Is the website up? I get an access blocked message, that my ip has been identified as spam…

Cheers

Ceodryn



#5 Fiddleback

Fiddleback

    Member

  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Ceodryn said:

Is the website up? I get an access blocked message, that my ip has been identified as spam…

Cheers

Ceodryn

 

It's up.  We have a pretty tight set of spam filtering software in place and your IP has apparently been caught in it (not saying you have spammed or anything, just that some spam, at some point has come from your ISPs direction.) With the shear number of spoofed IPs in use in certain countries in the world, it's not surprising.  I could clear yours out if I knew your location or IP address, but I don't expect you to send that along to me nor would I recommend it on these boards.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

 

 


Freelance Editor and Writer  (Ed: Rogue Trader: Faith and CoinStar Wars: Age of Rebellion Beta) - Contributor of the Skill Monkey and Stormtrooper Poetry segments to The Order 66 Podcast - Bon Vivant and gadabout town.

 

 


#6 Solardream

Solardream

    Member

  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

As someone who prefers the way WH 40K was done (and kept) when FFG picked it up, I can say I disliked the dice and cards with their 'new' edition of Warhammer Fantasy. (Stuck with 2nd ed)

While I'm dissapointed Star Wars from FFG is using the same…odd dice system, I'm glad they didn't use the lame-cards as well. I might actually be able to get into it this time.After reading this article and seeing the dice used more in the begginer game-set, I'm starting to see how they actually make rolls…interesting, and not entirely numbers crunching. And I see it better without the cards that don't really go with pencil and paper games, so I have to say thank you for that at least.

Still keen on Saga Edition (and even the old West End games version) over this type of dice system, but I truely hope that FFG can get me out that mindset, with this version of the SW universe RPG and its books and materials covered.



#7 Locrious

Locrious

    Member

  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

Solardream said:

 

As someone who prefers the way WH 40K was done (and kept) when FFG picked it up, I can say I disliked the dice and cards with their 'new' edition of Warhammer Fantasy. (Stuck with 2nd ed)

While I'm dissapointed Star Wars from FFG is using the same…odd dice system, I'm glad they didn't use the lame-cards as well. I might actually be able to get into it this time.After reading this article and seeing the dice used more in the begginer game-set, I'm starting to see how they actually make rolls…interesting, and not entirely numbers crunching. And I see it better without the cards that don't really go with pencil and paper games, so I have to say thank you for that at least.

Still keen on Saga Edition (and even the old West End games version) over this type of dice system, but I truely hope that FFG can get me out that mindset, with this version of the SW universe RPG and its books and materials covered.

 

 

Saga Edition had a great streamlined skill list, but the umbrella Use the Force check was totally broken. I liked how the game used the same kind of Talent tree system as d20 Modern, but the REF, FORT, and WILL Defense was nothing but 4th Edition tripe. I’m glad FFG gave us back our Saves.

You really don’t like the cards and stuff in WFRP? I mean, over the years I’ve found that nothing brings a battle to a screeching halt faster than when a player has to pause and scan endlessly over book after book looking for some obscure rule or spell. So annoying (and they never seem to write it down). But with the cards, each player has everything right there. No need to rummage. Plus then I, as the GM, don’t have to stop and search either. The player can just tell me. Nothing wrong with a “quick reference” right?

I thought the dice were strange at first, too. But they really do allow for some great RP moments.

I.J. Thompson’s earlier post captures the idea very well:

I. J. Thompson said:

 

A good example I liken it to is Indiana Jones. Indy jumps across the chasm. Does he succeed? No, he fails! BUT, he's able to to grab onto some vegetation. BUT the vegetation starts pulling out of the floor! Can he climb it before it pulls out completely? Yes, he can! BUT, a stone doorway is going to seal him in! Can he get through it in time? And if he does, can he retrieve his whip before it closes? Awesome. :)

 

 

 

As a GM I’ve found that I get rather discouraged when an encounter turns into a bland assembly line “ok, roll. Hit. Now you roll. Hit. Your turn. Miss. Next player. Hit” That’s not fun, its monotonous. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion—and that’s great—but there are some really cool possibilities that could be explored in this new system that might be worth checking out.



#8 bobfrankly

bobfrankly

    Member

  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Locrious said:

As a GM I’ve found that I get rather discouraged when an encounter turns into a bland assembly line “ok, roll. Hit. Now you roll. Hit. Your turn. Miss. Next player. Hit” That’s not fun, its monotonous. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion—and that’s great—but there are some really cool possibilities that could be explored in this new system that might be worth checking out.

Agreed. I find it much more interesting and entertaining with this system. As the players learned how to read the dice, it was fun to watch thier expressions change from "yeah, I hit!" to "Oh crap, what'd I do!" as they discerned the threat. I tried to be nice with my threats to begin, as they're all barely or totally unexperienced with RPGs.  Threats mostly meant them falling down, giving anyone attacking them a boost die until they spent a manuveur to get up. I'll have to get more creative in the future. *rubs hands togehter and cackles evily*



#9 Fiddleback

Fiddleback

    Member

  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Jay has done a follow-up article answering a few reader questions: http://gsa.thegamern...rs-a-follow-up/


Freelance Editor and Writer  (Ed: Rogue Trader: Faith and CoinStar Wars: Age of Rebellion Beta) - Contributor of the Skill Monkey and Stormtrooper Poetry segments to The Order 66 Podcast - Bon Vivant and gadabout town.

 

 


#10 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

    Member

  • Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for that! Another good read.


IV  V  VI  I  III  II


#11 LethalDose

LethalDose

    Member

  • Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

It would have been nice if he actually said something concrete about the dice affected design outlook.  The most he said about it's impact on design was that that:

"[Having dice mechanic that leads to a huge number of terminal outcomes is] pretty exciting to me as a designer, creating a way to offer a huge variety of outcomes within […] a tidy package."

So, its exciting, but "excited" isn't a design outlook.  It would have been nice to see what decisions were affected by dice pool mechanic.

And the follow-up didn't really address any of this, either. I'm glad "A lot of time research and playtesting went into the dice.  A lot." but again, no specifics.

Just my thoughts on it.

-WJL

 



#12 Glacialis

Glacialis

    Member

  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Since I share your curiosity, if not as thorough an understanding of probabilities and statistics, you could always ask your questions in the article's comment section. Heck, join the chatroom of the O66 live broadcast the next time Jay is scheduled to be on. :) Worst case he'll have to answer "off the air" for the details you're after.



#13 LethalDose

LethalDose

    Member

  • Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Glacialis said:

 

Since I share your curiosity, if not as thorough an understanding of probabilities and statistics, you could always ask your questions in the article's comment section. Heck, join the chatroom of the O66 live broadcast the next time Jay is scheduled to be on. :) Worst case he'll have to answer "off the air" for the details you're after.

 

 

I did ask the questions there; I'm the same "LethalDose" in both locations.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read those comments so you can see what I'm paraphrasing, but his first response summarized that his article was on how the dice affected "design outlook", and when asked about that, he responded that he uses his 'gut feeling' about design more than he uses math.  There was also substantial implication that he didn't think it was particularly important to understand the math behind the dice as long as it feels okay.  The issue is that my players and I don't think it "feels okay" and did the math to figure out what was going.

-WJL



#14 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

    Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

  • Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

LethalDose said:

I did ask the questions there; I'm the same "LethalDose" in both locations.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read those comments so you can see what I'm paraphrasing, but his first response summarized that his article was on how the dice affected "design outlook", and when asked about that, he responded that he uses his 'gut feeling' about design more than he uses math.  There was also substantial implication that he didn't think it was particularly important to understand the math behind the dice as long as it feels okay.  The issue is that my players and I don't think it "feels okay" and did the math to figure out what was going.

-WJL

Here's a novel concept… maybe this isn't the game for you and your players.

Jay was kind enough to express his thoughts and experiences about how this dice system came together, and he was equally considerate enough to respond to your questions.  Maybe they weren't the answers you were looking/hoping for, but they were answers.  This might be a bitter pill for you to swallow, but not everyone holds mathematical equations to be the final, or even most important factor in how a game's dice mechanics works.  Jay and his team of developers did a lot of playtesting (more than you seem to want to give them credit for), as evidenced by Sterling Hershey (one of those developers), who said that there were some definite changes about the symbols and arrangements during the post-show talk of Order 66's 2nd episode of tehir Celebrity EotE Game.  Rather than sticking with cold formulas, they went for what provided the most satisfying play experience.

The developers have pretty much said, generally by omission, that they are perfectly happy with how the dice work, a lot of folks that have sat down and played the game have said the same.  So maybe the root problem isn't with the dice pool mechanics and distrubtion of numbers, but rather with your group and what they want/expect out of an RPG's task resolution mechanics.


  • BillW likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"


#15 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

    Not the member you are looking for!

  • Members
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Having finally got to play, I can say that while my group is still learning the ropes of dealing with the results of the dice, they are enjoying them. And by that I mean learning to deal with results that are not all pass/fail and integrating them into the narrative. I like this dice mechanic because it results in encouraging you to use your imagination. It's awesome. It would work well in every genre of game.


People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell


#16 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

    Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

  • Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

mouthymerc said:

Having finally got to play, I can say that while my group is still learning the ropes of dealing with the results of the dice, they are enjoying them. And by that I mean learning to deal with results that are not all pass/fail and integrating them into the narrative. I like this dice mechanic because it results in encouraging you to use your imagination. It's awesome. It would work well in every genre of game.

Over in the Beta forum, I expressed the notion that EotE's dice pool system requires a paradigm shift and a leap of faith from the players, and Jay's articles simply re-inforce that notion.

We as a gaming culture have had the "you pass or you fail" mindset instilled and drilled into us for more than 30 years, starting with ye olde D&D White Box.  Only rarely were there games where failure could provide an mechanical advantage or success could have tangible drawbacks.

And quite frankly, there are some gamers that simpy can't or won't make the jump from the old tried & true "pass/fail" mindset of dice mechanics.  That's not to say they're in the wrong; one of GM Chris' players in his Celebrity EotE game (Dominic) even said that he's got gaming friends (including his wife) that simply won't be able to wrap their heads around EotE's more open-ended system, but that doesn't mean they're simpletons.  Just means this game might very well not be for them.

But that's the neat thing about this hobby… there are a metric crap load of other game systems that suit those folks, and even if it's not official, someone's bound to have come up with a system hack to let you play Star Wars.  I've seen qutie a few for Savage Worlds, at least one for Green Ronin's AGE system (what they used for their Dragon Age RPG), as well as GURPS, World of Darkness (old & new), D&D 4e, and even Palladium.


  • BillW likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"


#17 LethalDose

LethalDose

    Member

  • Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

Donovan Morningfire said:

LethalDose said:

 

I did ask the questions there; I'm the same "LethalDose" in both locations.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read those comments so you can see what I'm paraphrasing, but his first response summarized that his article was on how the dice affected "design outlook", and when asked about that, he responded that he uses his 'gut feeling' about design more than he uses math.  There was also substantial implication that he didn't think it was particularly important to understand the math behind the dice as long as it feels okay.  The issue is that my players and I don't think it "feels okay" and did the math to figure out what was going.

-WJL

 

 

Here's a novel concept… maybe this isn't the game for you and your players.

Jay was kind enough to express his thoughts and experiences about how this dice system came together, and he was equally considerate enough to respond to your questions.  Maybe they weren't the answers you were looking/hoping for, but they were answers.  This might be a bitter pill for you to swallow, but not everyone holds mathematical equations to be the final, or even most important factor in how a game's dice mechanics works.  Jay and his team of developers did a lot of playtesting (more than you seem to want to give them credit for), as evidenced by Sterling Hershey (one of those developers), who said that there were some definite changes about the symbols and arrangements during the post-show talk of Order 66's 2nd episode of tehir Celebrity EotE Game.  Rather than sticking with cold formulas, they went for what provided the most satisfying play experience.

The developers have pretty much said, generally by omission, that they are perfectly happy with how the dice work, a lot of folks that have sat down and played the game have said the same.  So maybe the root problem isn't with the dice pool mechanics and distrubtion of numbers, but rather with your group and what they want/expect out of an RPG's task resolution mechanics.

No, it's not novel.  You've been telling me I shouldn't read/post/comment on these forums for practically as long as I've been posting, so you telling me I shouldn't play the game either isn't exactly a fresh idea.  

Futher, you don't know me or my players so saying the game isn't for us seems presumptuous.  We like the game and enjoy playing it.  

We also understand its appropriate to critically discuss games and media we like, especially with the creators.  In fact, its neccesary since critical challenge is how media gets moved foward.  If you think that there's no room for improvement, and that EotE as it stands is simply the perfect game, then that's great.  But other people who like the game but have questions about how it works or see problems with it shouldn't be told to shove off and not to play the game.

I have a lot of respect for Mr. Little, I love WFRPG and X-Wing.  In the general sense, I appreciate designers writing about their designs, but if they're going to talk about game balance, then they should talk about game balance.  If they're going to talk about how the dice influence design decsions, then there should be talk about design decisions.  If designers post something that doesn't make sense or is wrong and all the community does is post shallow comments like "Oh gee whiz, that's neat Mr. Designer.  We're so greatful you deign to post for us!" then the games are not going to get any better.  And I think they can be better. Much better, and so I will continue to discuss and challenge the design decisions that didn't make sense.  

Maybe its because my players are lawyers and academics that we think like this, but we understand that to put a fine egde on a model or concept, it has to get intellectually battered around until the crap gets knocked out.  That's what my questions designers are.

Finally, if I'm not starting another round of mutually antagonistic $h!#-slinging with you.  I'm not posting here to talk to you.

-WJL



#18 aramis

aramis

    Member

  • Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

For once, I agree with LethalDose… The articles are interesting, but hardly go far enough. I'm curious as to the design decisions influenced as well - I can guess at some of them. Some are a result of the statistics of the dice, no doubt… but having written proof of this goes a long way.



#19 LethalDose

LethalDose

    Member

  • Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

aramis said:

For once, I agree with LethalDose… 

Uh, thanks?



#20 aramis

aramis

    Member

  • Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

LethalDose said:

aramis said:

 

For once, I agree with LethalDose… 

 

 

Uh, thanks?

You're welcome. It's nothing personal; I find myself disagrring with your posts quite often. 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS