Why Alternate Art Crypsis?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RanisTheSlayer

RanisTheSlayer

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

Of all the cards you could have picked to do alternate art for, Fantasy Flight, you had to pick probably the second-worst runner card in the game (next to Access to Globalsec) and as a result, no one in my local group actually wants the Crypsises (sp?). Instead, they're fighting over the Melanges, which is something that everyone seems to want more of. Why not Sure Gamble if you wanted to keep it neutral? Why not Armitage Codebusting? Why not pick a card people actually use?

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

People do use Crypsis and no matter which card they picked somebody somewhere would be unhappy.

#3 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Just because your group doesn't like or hasn't learned to use Crypsis doesn't invalidate it as a card or a choice for alternate art.

I've seen decks using it and it works fine.

#4 RanisTheSlayer

RanisTheSlayer

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

It doesn't "require" learning how to use. Crypsis is a poor side-choice, an inefficient lack of options due to how small the card pool is atm. I'm sure it sees play, but not by people who will win a tournament to get the alternate art version.  It's not  worthwhile prize. If they chose a card to get alternate art that was more commonly used (re: everything that isn't Access to Globalsec) it would foster better competition.

More people competing means more people coming to the game. Which means more money for Fantasy Flight.

I really hope this doesn't become a trend. What can we expect next month, alternate art Data Dealer? Alternate art Net Shield?

#5 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Because if you don't play Crypsis, you're doing it wrong.

(with VERY few exceptions, maybe one…)

#6 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

RanisTheSlayer said:

It doesn't "require" learning how to use. Crypsis is a poor side-choice, an inefficient lack of options due to how small the card pool is atm. I'm sure it sees play, but not by people who will win a tournament to get the alternate art version.  It's not  worthwhile prize. If they chose a card to get alternate art that was more commonly used (re: everything that isn't Access to Globalsec) it would foster better competition.

More people competing means more people coming to the game. Which means more money for Fantasy Flight.

I really hope this doesn't become a trend. What can we expect next month, alternate art Data Dealer? Alternate art Net Shield?

Crypsis works on every piece of ice and is a virus. Just because you think it is not worthwhile does not mean others feel the same way. If the card was something you like no doubt others would feel the way you do about Crypsis. If you dislike it that much just trade it away if you get one.

Prizes won't change next month, prizes change every season. There is 3 seasons a year.

#7 ffaristocrat

ffaristocrat

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Cypsis can break any kind of ice. Obviously that's the foremost advantage.

But it's so expensive to use, right? Well, not quite. It's usually only a credit more expensive than the best dedicated icebreakers while frequently being better than the non-best ones. In a few cases, it's tied for best icebreaker, notably against two of the most played/feared ice: Rototurret and Archer.

The click priming may seem like a high cost, but think about all the effort you have to expend drawing, installing and paying for a full suite of ice breakers along with the memory to support a program suite - it'll likely require at least 8 clicks, probably several more in practice. Eventually, Crypsis will end up being more expensive click-wise but that's a small price for being able to break any ice right away.

Finally, as a virus, Crypsis has great synergies with Anarchs. Djinn can find it, Cyberfeeder can pay for part of its install, Grimoire will give it a counter, Noise will trash a card because of it and Deja Vu can dig it out of the trash along with another virus. There are strong Anarch decks that only use Crypsis as their icebreaker.

You might want to step back and see if your local meta has subjected itself to group think on this.

#8 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I think it is a great choice…because it is so versatile. That means it can work in almost any runner deck and - as so much more expertly explained by the poster above me - has a lot of utility if you just know how to use it. I think it works BEST in an Anarch deck, but all three runner factions can get some good use out of it.

#9 Paddosan

Paddosan

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

They obviously had to pick cards that could be useful to any player, and Crypsis especially is a damn good choice, as others already told you.

Initially I felt the same as you about that card, but after becoming more experienced with the game I noticed all its good points and theadvantages it offers, especially in an Anarch deck. I still use a couple in every Runner deck. If nothing else, it offers an alternative when the main Icebreakers won't show up no matter how many cards you draw.

It actually proved crucial in the first tournament we had in my hometown, in which I won 3 games for 6-0 and lost another for 0-6 placing third.

#10 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

ffaristocrat said:

But it's so expensive to use, right? Well, not quite. It's usually only a credit more expensive than the best dedicated icebreakers while frequently being better than the non-best ones. In a few cases, it's tied for best icebreaker, notably against two of the most played/feared ice: Rototurret and Archer.

The click priming may seem like a high cost, but think about all the effort you have to expend drawing, installing and paying for a full suite of ice breakers along with the memory to support a program suite - it'll likely require at least 8 clicks, probably several more in practice. Eventually, Crypsis will end up being more expensive click-wise but that's a small price for being able to break any ice right away.

Finally, as a virus, Crypsis has great synergies with Anarchs. Djinn can find it, Cyberfeeder can pay for part of its install, Grimoire will give it a counter, Noise will trash a card because of it and Deja Vu can dig it out of the trash along with another virus. There are strong Anarch decks that only use Crypsis as their icebreaker.

You might want to step back and see if your local meta has subjected itself to group think on this.

ffaristocrat said:

Adding to ffaristocrat's points:

Crypsis is actually the next best icebreaker in each category (killer vs. sentry, decoder vs. code gate, fracter vs. barrier) in terms of credit efficiency according to the numbers. That it breaks any kind of ICE makes up for it being second place in those contests because you only need to find one card to address any ICE you face.

Also, a player shouldn't feel hampered by the need to load it for each use. If he's got another Crypsis in his grip, or can search for one, or can retrieve it (or two copies of it) from his heap (Deja Vu), or its one-time use can snag him an agenda immediately, he shouldn't be afraid to sacrifice it for his goals.

Besides great support from Anarchs, I think Crim cards have a lot of synergy with Crypsis. Certainly, you can't use Crypsis all the time- so why not pair it with the faction that evades ICE to begin with? Forged Activation Orders, Sneakdoor Beta, Inside Job, Cortez Chip, Satellite Uplink and the neutral Infiltration allow you to avoid encountering ICE in different ways. Crypsis in such a deck will only be used when necessary but serves as the key to open different locks.

And like Djinn, Special Order can seek it out.

Now to be fair:

Theoretically, you won't need to use it all the time and not much each, but the reality is that you're probably going to use more often than you like and you're going to want to keep it around which will entail often spending clicks to prime it. And should the game drag on- not unlikely at all- it's going to have to be used against multiple ICE per run and you can only load it so much each turn before the Corp player realizes purging virus counters on his turn isn't so counter-productive.

Against weaker ICE, it's not as costly as other 'breakers, but once mutiple ICE are out that include high strength ones, then it begins to burn a hole in your virtual pocket.

You can save card slots in your deck by relying on Crypsis to handle different kinds of ICE but the cards you're going to put in to support in will eat up those slots.

All in all, it's a toss up. You have to weigh the good with the bad with Crypsis and either take or reject both.

To be honest, I'm now running an experimental deck to see if Crypsis with Anarch support in a Crim deck will work. The results are slow in coming and not too promising, but I intend to keep it up for awhile. It's hard to judge because you sometimes can't tell if Crypsis is actually working since most of your successful runs as a Crim are made by bypassing ICE.

Anyway, back to the main topic, I agree with the consensus that some players liking or disliking a card is not grounds for whether or not it should become a promo. That's just subjective and some people will always agree while others will not.

#11 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I have to say I do agree with the OP.

Crypsis is a 3 of neutral card from the Core Set.

There are plenty other choices with that same rarity level that would have been much better.

Sure Gamble is played by every runner, period. Not just "it can be good if you learn how to use it" or "in certain limited situations, it can be useful". It's just 100 % better; and we can assume that a year from now, it'll still be played in most runner decks as the basic economic advantage card, while Crypsis's utility will only diminish as better breakers become available to all factions (Crypsis, being a virus, will possibly eventually be limited to being an anarch card).

The same applies to Armitage Codebusting.

The main point is that there were better cards to pick from than Crypsis, with better "lasting power".

#12 WayToTheDawn

WayToTheDawn

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

RanisTheSlayer said:

I'm sure it sees play, but not by people who will win a tournament to get the alternate art version.

Your critiques of Crypsis have been addressed sufficiently by others in this thread, but I wanted to call this statement out for a couple reasons.

1. For a Tournament Organizer, such as yourself, this is not the way you should be referring to potential players who are coming to your events. I know I won't be attending one now because I like to have fun and enjoy myself without being judged and/or mocked for my card choices. While I'm sure you couldn't care less about this, the fact is you're encouraging what you're crying out against. The kind of prize support isn't deterring me from a Netrunner tournament, the TO is.

2. Speaking in an absoulte such as this, seems to show some shortsighted-ness and lack of understanding of the game. From my experience, Netrunner is just as much about gameplay skill as it is about deck building skill. Maybe I'm wrong here, but considering this card has been argued for and against in this very thread seems to support my argument here. Either way, to say that having this one card in your deck means not winning a tournament is the worst kind of conjecture and hyperbole.

RanisTheSlayer said:

It's not a worthwhile prize.

To you. I'll bet someone who likes Crypsis and runs it and *GASP* wins with it, loves this.

Could FFG have chosen a "better" card? Possibly. In my opinion, we should be happy with prize support at all. Look, if you don't use it in your deck then it's just another trophy like any other (deckbox, playmat, giant sword) prize.

#13 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I'd have gone for alternate art identities, at least on the runner side (the new corp IDs look too much like the core ones for my taste). While I agree that Sure Gamble is played more than Crypsis, its art is already very good and any alternate art would be judged against it.

#14 profligate

profligate

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Also, because Crypsis is awesome.

#15 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Could you sent your Crypsis AI to me if you don't like it ;-)

IMHO Crypsis is just fine card.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS