Rancor Autocannibalism

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GongShowHost

GongShowHost

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

This answer seems self-evident, but I just want to be sure: If there are no other units on the table, the Rancor will eat itself, right?

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

You are correct. 

#3 Tappiocca

Tappiocca

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

GongShowHost said:

This answer seems self-evident, but I just want to be sure: If there are no other units on the table, the Rancor will eat itself, right?

Munch Munch Munch

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

It was suggested that this might actually represent the Rancor starving… but personally I find eating itself funnier.  Also note (though I doubt there is any confusion on this): it will eat itself even if there are other units if those units are vehicles or cost 5+.

#5 videinfra

videinfra

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Wait. Are you serious? It eats itself? That is retarded.

#6 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

videinfra said:

Yes if it is the lowest cost non-vehicle unit in play as his ability is not optional since it says Forced Reaction. Just think of it as he starves to death since there is nothing for him to eat now.

#7 videinfra

videinfra

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

But what if your opponent has a higher cost non-vehicle. The Rancor ate himself instead of attacking your opponent. I get the wording, just seems odd thematically. 

#8 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

The idea behind it (to me atleast) was to prevent a munch of litte low cost weenies running around. This also would slow your opponent down when they want to play say 3PO or R2 etc, etc.

Good anti-card, not great, but nice.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#9 Carist

Carist

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

videinfra said:

But what if your opponent has a higher cost non-vehicle. The Rancor ate himself instead of attacking your opponent. I get the wording, just seems odd thematically. 

The higher cost card was able to kill the rancor when it attacked him.

#10 TonganJedi

TonganJedi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

videinfra said:

Again, thematically I'd either go with the idea that it starves or, more likely, it has no exploitable targets (either they don't exist or they're too big/dangerous to bother with) and it simply moves on with its usual routine.

#11 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

If anyone reading this is familiar with the show "Supernatural", then I look at the Rancor's "suicide" as a voluntary "bibbing", as per the Leviathan leader's method of execution for subordinates that have failed him.

When a Leviathan is "bibbed", a literal bib is tied around the condemned's neck, and then everyone sits back and watches while said condemned Leviathan also quite literally eats itself into nothing.

The show always cuts away, and cuts back after the "bibbing" has concluded, where all the audience sees is a bloody bib on a chair.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS