extra criticals?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SJMazzella3380

SJMazzella3380

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

What do I do if I have extra critical but not enough wounds to trigger them? I know RAW if I do 0 or negative damage that I would do the min 1 wound, and if I had excess criticals at that point those criticals would become extra normal wounds. What I want to know is, if I do 2 wounds but trigger 4 criticals, what do I do with those 2 extra criticals.

#2 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

SJMazzella3380 said:

What do I do if I have extra critical but not enough wounds to trigger them? I know RAW if I do 0 or negative damage that I would do the min 1 wound, and if I had excess criticals at that point those criticals would become extra normal wounds. What I want to know is, if I do 2 wounds but trigger 4 criticals, what do I do with those 2 extra criticals.

I don't think this is covered either in the rulebook nor the FAQ. I think you should submit a Rule question to FFG about it (see link at the bottom of the webpage). 

Personally I would convert the two surplus crits into normal wounds, i.e. the attack would do 2 critical and 2 normal wounds.

#3 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

The number of crits becomes the new minimum damage that gets through soak (it normally is one), but they go through as normal damage. So if you do 8 damage with 5 crits against 6 total soak (armor+toughness), then you would do 3 normal wounds and 2 critical wounds. 

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#4 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Doc, the Weasel said:

The number of crits becomes the new minimum damage that gets through soak (it normally is one), but they go through as normal damage. So if you do 8 damage with 5 crits against 6 total soak (armor+toughness), then you would do 3 normal wounds and 2 critical wounds. 

Have you found that rule in the book/FAQ somewhere? Or is it your take on it? Just wondering :)

#5 SJMazzella3380

SJMazzella3380

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

Here is the reply that I got from FFG

Stephen,

If you inflict more critical wounds than normal wounds (but do not trigger the minimum wound result rule), then all the wounds inflicted will be critical wounds and the excess critical effects are wasted. You are advised to spend your boons on something else!

In the example you give, if you hit a target for 4 wounds (after applying soak) and 8 critical, the target would suffer 4 critical wounds. The other 4 critical wound effects would be wasted.

Enjoy the game!

~Dan Clark
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
dclark@fantasyflightgames.com

#6 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

I was going to post that answer, but the response from FFG beat me to it. The onyl time criticals get turned into normal wounds is if the total number of wounds inflicted (including criticals) is less that the target's soak.  Otherwise, you only do damage equal to the damage actually dealt after soak. Those will be criticals if you have enough criticals scored, but you don't 'gain' any additional damage for having rolled extra criticals.

As was mentioned/alluded to in Dan Clark's response, the dice results in WFRP are "optimal" with a balance of successes and boons.  Just like rolling too many successes doesn't help (unless you use the optional rule to convert extra successes into additional damage), too many boons won't necessarily help either.  You generally want 3 successes and 4 (or so) boons for a "best" roll.  Most actions don't have a success line requiring over 3 successes. Boons are a bit better for rolling more, since you have several options to spend boons on (universal two to restore a fatigue/stress, 2-4 to activate weapon's critical, 1-2 to trigger the action's boon line).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS