Tank sizes and moves

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hordeoverseer

Hordeoverseer

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

Sort of branching off from the miniature thread, I don't own any miniatures in the 40k universe myself and it doesn't seem practical as it functions off of a square grid when it comes to combat, or vehicles at least. I'm looking to cut templates for things like chimera and leman russ tanks, as well as the ork vehicles. How wide by metres (as is the standard measurement of the game) would each of those vehicles be would you think?

Also! On a related topic, if people find themselves on the back or the front of a tank and it rolls forward one space. Does that still constitute as a ram if it hasn't moved even half of its tactical move?

#2 whoseyes

whoseyes

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

You can find the Chimera and Leman Russ specs in your favourite WH40K wiki site. For example:

http://warhammer40k....Leman_Russ_Tank

http://warhammer40k....om/wiki/Chimera

#3 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

Personally i prefer Lexicanum due to its darker background and layout. http://wh40k.lexican...nk#.UPlWFTUZcSE much easier to read off those tank stats!

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#4 Hordeoverseer

Hordeoverseer

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thank you! That is just much larger than I though. I sort of scaled all vehicles by one meter for length and width in my game. : /

#5 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

The problem with vehiclesi n 40k is that for the most part they are scaled too small compared to infantry. it's pretty hard, even without bases on the models, to fit the dozen troops that can fit inside most troop transports inside them. Land Raiders are approaching the right size but the image of Terminators single filing out of the assault ramp is hilariously inefficient :P

I'd be liberal and round up what sizes are listed in canon sources so that the vehicles feel truly big and scary as they should to an infantryman.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#6 Hordeoverseer

Hordeoverseer

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

I found them scaling them down actually, with the chimera at least to 5m x 6m, instead of 6m x 7m. I know it's one metre for each track and that should leave 3m instead where 2m is the turret where it's slated off to the side slightly. If the inside was 4m instead, I would have to wonder if turrent would have to be 3m instead,which seems massively large.

My reference: http://i10.photobuck...8/Chimeras2.jpg

Then, these are just nitpicks and only based on my eyeballing.

#7 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

Kasatka said:

The problem with vehiclesi n 40k is that for the most part they are scaled too small compared to infantry. it's pretty hard, even without bases on the models, to fit the dozen troops that can fit inside most troop transports inside them. Land Raiders are approaching the right size but the image of Terminators single filing out of the assault ramp is hilariously inefficient :P

I'd be liberal and round up what sizes are listed in canon sources so that the vehicles feel truly big and scary as they should to an infantryman.

Which is of course due to the Infantry models being TOO big (don't tell Space Marine players they might go apaplectic), I recently picked up a bunch of Russians for the Bolt Action game, the troops are a bit smaller than my guard (which is still larger than they should be and pretty fiddly to put together) but the T34/85 is to scale a third of the size of the Leman Russ supposidly fitting in the same crew.

They never claimed it was accurately scaled so worry about it too much.

#8 Hordeoverseer

Hordeoverseer

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

And what would you all judge on moving rules OVER an enemy unit? Without raming them, as in the case of only moving one or 2 M forward. When it comes to Walkers, technically you can't ram them but could you still step over them. What's the damage calculation on that?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS