More Sci-Fi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

I was playing Descent, 2nd Edition and go to thinking, "gee, I'd rather be exploring through space and delving into ancient alien ruins, derelict starships, abandoned space stations, hidden tombs on asteroids, and so forth."  And ideally, I'd like to be able to do so solo, since rounding up players is not easy but I can always round myself up for a game!

I was greatly disappointed when FFG deep-sixed their solo Star Wars card game and replaced it with an OK but not that great two-player game.  My son and I tried it out and came away thinking it wasn't that memorable and that it was burdened with clunky mechanics (the "edge" battle?  give me a break!--it meant fighting every battle twice, once to get the edge, then to resolve combat; nice idea but we didn't find it that exciting in actual play0.   X-Wing Minitature, on the other hand, is a whole other story, a very exciting, truly cinematic game that is rapidly becoming a family fave.  I still think FFG would have had a more exciting product in the solo Star Wars, given how exciting and unique the solo LotR card game is, one of my favorites.

But this is another topic.  What I want to suggest here is that FFG consider doing some kind of solo Star Wars game, since there's a lot of us who have difficulty finding gaming partners on a regular basis (and most of the ones I can find don't like the kind of games I do and just want to play party games like Dictionary or Tsuro).  Being able to play some kind of exciting Star Wars game solitaire would be wonderful, even if it's not an LCG.

Failing that, FFG has a whole IP license of their own with Twilight Imperium.  Look what they've done with Terrinoth and all the Rune Wars/Rune Age/Descent/Runebound games they're doing, which are fun. There are some really imaginative and fun games there.  So why not a similar series with TI?  If they don't want a solo Star Wars LCG, what about a solo TI LCG?  What not a Descent-type game set in the TI universe?  Or a Runebound kind of adventure game with space travel and planetary exploration?

Fantasy's great, but I suspect a number of gamers have a sci-fi itch that they'd like FFG to scratch and to provide at least one great sci-fi adventuregame that can be played solo.

I don't know if anyone from FFG ever actually reads these postings, but at least I'm hopeful the idea of more sci-fi games is in the air.

#2 Sprawl

Sprawl

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

I understand what you mean ( I too love sci-fi better ), but the theme of a game is really subjective. I have many friends who prefer fantasy over sci-fi, and that's fine. Any way, I think the setting is secondary and the mechanics should be more important.

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Setting helps to make a game, if the setting sucks then I don't care how good the game is as I don't feel any attachment to the setting and its characters. I think 40K would make a good setting for a new card game for FFGs LCG line of games. And it is kind of a blend of sci fi and fantasy so can cater to both audiences.

#4 HisstKa

HisstKa

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

Toqtamish said:

Setting helps to make a game, if the setting sucks then I don't care how good the game is as I don't feel any attachment to the setting and its characters. I think 40K would make a good setting for a new card game for FFGs LCG line of games. And it is kind of a blend of sci fi and fantasy so can cater to both audiences.

Great point! Look at Relic. It's basically Talisman with a 40k theme but that appealed to my group so much more than Talisman did.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS