• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

For fun, I am trying to think of a sort of viable squad that uses 1 of each ship in Wave 1 and 2.

If you go with generic pilots, you have the following list:

Total Squad Points: 88

Pilot: Rookie Pilot 1

X-Wing (21)

Upgrades:

Pilot: Gold Squadron Pilot 1

Y-Wing (18)

Upgrades:

Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Pilot: Outer Rim Smuggler 1

YT-1300 (27)

Pilot: Prototype Pilot 1

A-Wing (17)

The only auto-include in terms of upgrades is the Ion Cannon Turret for the Y-wing.

At 88 points, there are 12 points to spend on upgrading one or more of these ships somehow. Obviously one of the main problems with this list is low pilot skill. Another is low firepower for a 4-ship rebel build.

What suggestions would you make to come up with a playable squad with the remaining 12 points? I don't mean a squad that you would take to a tournament, but one that you would play on your home table and wouldn't be a waste of time.

Be seeing you.

#2 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Here's what I would suggest with the final 12 points and why.

1. Engine upgrade for the YT-1300.  Use the Outer Rim bounty hunter to fly up and clog up the enemys flying lanes.  Your bound to make a mess  of flying and with your 360 degree firing Arc you should still be able to shot some things.  I don't think people will expect the blitz.
  2. R2-D2 for the X-Wing.  You want to try and keep him around as he packs the most punch.
  3. Concussion Missiles for the A-Wing.  This gives you a little extra punch, and if you time things well with the YT-1300 blocking the flying lane, you may be able to shoot at targets that don't have a focus or evade.

Those are my Idea's for you.  Looks like a fun list to play around with.

#3 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Pilot: Rookie Pilot 1

X-Wing (21)

Upgrades: Red Squadron and a R2 unit for +2 pilot skill and maneuver like crazy

Pilot: Gold Squadron Pilot 1

Y-Wing (18)

Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Upgrades: R5 for survivability

Pilot: Outer Rim Smuggler 1

YT-1300 (27)

Upgrades: Mercenary copilot to increase Crits

Pilot: Prototype Pilot 1

A-Wing (17)

Upgrades: Green squadron, Veteran Instincts and Stealth Device for +4 pilot skill and survivability

So you end up with:

• Red Squadron w/R2
  • Gold Squadron w/ Ion Cannon and R5
  • Green Squadron w/Veteran Instincts and Stealth Device
  • Outer rim Smuggler w/ Mercenary Co-pilot

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#4 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Good ideas guys. I just think it will be fun to play all 4 ships at once.
Be seeing you.

#5 Sodapopj

Sodapopj

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

I actually played witht his squad last night.

I ran

Rookie Pilot
Gold Squadron - Ion Cannon
Outer rim Smuggler - Weapons Engineer
A-wing - Assualt Missiles and Squad Leader.

I won both games, but I was lucky and had a string of hot dice at crutial moments in both games. I like the Outer Rim Smuggler he died in the first game because he drew all the fire power in the opening salvo. The second game the Weapons engineer came in handy, but I am not convinced it is essential. I would play with the gunner on the ship, but I don't have the card yet and Luke eats too many points. I dunno about the mercenary co-pilot. You always seem to be range one or two from the other ships cause of the big base.

X-wing was the clean up man. The Y-wing was the trailler as usual.

The A-wing I have to think about a little. I thought I would give squad leader a try, but it was never used. The A-wing is so fast is always seems to get bumped. I was thinking concussion missles and push the limit as the switch out, but assualt missiles are so boss. I might lose the Weapon engineer and go with the Falcon title card. the Evade may be nice in some scenarios.

Those are my thoughts so far on this list.

#6 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

It is kind of funny to think of the Green Squadron Pilot with skill 3 as a "Squad Leader," but he does have the highest pilot skill. I would not play that card, since you have to essentially have to transfer your action to another ship, and I would want to use my action every time to try to make sure the A-wing gets a good shot in, or optimizes it's position with boost, or at least evades.

I would use elusiveness instead perhaps.

Be seeing you.

#7 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Interesting challenge.

I think I'd drop most of the points into the  YT-1300, and fly the other ships around the edges of the battle, picking off targets.

This should cause the opponent some problems. Do they concentrate on the YT, knowing it'll take ages to wear down and probably cause loads of crashes, or do they chase the other ships while the YT takes pot shots?

=========================
One Of Each - Full Points
100 points

Pilots
------

Rookie Pilot (22)
Upgrades: R2 Astromech (1)

Gold Squadron Pilot (25)
Upgrades: R5-K6 (2), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Prototype Pilot (17)

Outer Rim Smuggler (36)
Upgrades: Gunner (5), Chewbacca (4)

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/view/1409

---

You can use my squadron builder to play around with upgrades by loading this: http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build/1408

vs

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 100,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· I spent the last year backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we got to: Travels With Triplets.

#8 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

voidstate said:

Interesting challenge.

I think I'd drop most of the points into the  YT-1300, and fly the other ships around the edges of the battle, picking off targets.

This should cause the opponent some problems. Do they concentrate on the YT, knowing it'll take ages to wear down and probably cause loads of crashes, or do they chase the other ships while the YT takes pot shots?

One Of Each - Full Points
100 points

Pilots
------

Rookie Pilot (22)
Upgrades: R2 Astromech (1)

Gold Squadron Pilot (25)
Upgrades: R5-K6 (2), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Prototype Pilot (17)

Outer Rim Smuggler (36)
Upgrades: Gunner (5), Chewbacca (4)

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/view/1409

---

You can use my squadron builder to play around with upgrades by loading this: http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build/1408

vs

Thanks for your input on this build as well as your squad building tool, which seems to be developing very very nicely.

I like the gunner, and Chewbacca. Those are not likely to be points wasted I think. I don't like R5-K6 though. Maybe if his ability was automatic, or worked a little more of the time…..Also the only times I have seen that droid taken in a squad, either by myself or by an opponent (including in a tournament) he was completely forgotten about. So I have literally never seen that droid's ability work. I'd rather waste a point and put another R2 or R5 on a ship than use that droid.

Another thing is, (although I don't have it yet so I can't play with it) I am not sure of using a naked Prototype A-wing by itself. I am inclined when I finally get this squad to the table to go with an upgraded A-wing somehow.

Be seeing you.

#9 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Here is what I have been using it's only a 3 ship build, but it has defeated 2 tie swarms, no rebal yet, but I think it will be good:

Solo: weapons eng,  Swarm , concussion 

2x rookie pilot: r2 astro

I am still tweaking it and will fly it with rebels this weekend. 

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#10 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

That squad does sound like it has promise. Not what I am trying to do with this particular thread though. However I might try that out, or some variant of it,  at home this weekend since I have the Falcon but no other Wave 2 ships. I haven't yet played with Han Solo. (can you believe that?)

Be seeing you.

#11 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:57 AM

With his ability, he's the first I played with lol, and cuz it Han. Gotta play with him, giggity 

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS