• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arhaix

Arhaix

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hi everyone
I bought with my friends BSG (main set, didn't buy either expansion set yet) and we got few uncertainties

1) If we know that someone is Cylon (he didn't reveal himself), but made some obvious move (like moving cyvilian ships into cylon fleet territory), can we do anything beside throwing him into a brig?
2) When shuffling loyalty for 5 players (no gaius/sharon) we take 8 human and 2 cylon cards, give 1 to each player. But when we're giving next set of loyalty cards we take that one sleeper card and add it to which deck - that one left after dealing each player one card or to that deck left in the box
3) What happen when someone have 2 Cylon Loyalty cards (ie Gaius from the start) - when they reveal themself they use action on both cards or just choose one of them
4) When we activate Cylon fleet does it matter from which of 6 region we begin
5) When playing that card after the skill check (forgot the name) that state that skill check is easier by 2 point do we count its power too - or we must choose - use it power in skill check or use its ability after the skill check?
6) When player A is rolling dice, can player B play the reroll / add +2 to roll ability card
7) Does quorum cards are really that helpful? We played 4 times and maybe 2 cards was played. Or maybe we just dont know how to use them corectly.

Thanks in advance

#2 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

1) Nope, not really

2) You only use the sympathizer if you're playing with 4 or 6 players, so for a 5-player game you leave it in the box.  By the end of the sleeper phase all ten cards will have been dealt out--8 human and 2 cylon.

3) Just choose one.  And it's important that they not reveal the second card, because one of the actions a revealed cylon can do (at the resurrection ship) is give their unrevealed card to another player.  Note that even revealed cylons get a loyalty card in the sleeper agent phase, so they should all have the opportunity to do this by the end of the game (but if the other card is "you are not a cylon," it's not usually a good use of an action--one improvement that was made in the Pegasus expansion is that the cylons automatically give their unrevealed loyalty cards to another player when they reeal)

4) The current player chooses the order, but it probably doesn't make a difference in most cases.

5) Choose one or the other.  That's the interesting thing about that card; it's 3-5 strength, so you can play it in the check for its printed strength, or, if you wait until afterwards, you know exactly how close you are to passing the check, but then it's only worth 2.

6) Yes

7) People disagree about these.  A lot of them are pretty mediocre, but there are some (like Arrest Order, Presidential Pardon, and Authorization of Brutal Force) that can make a really big difference at the right time.

#3 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Forum has been going off-line for me last couple of hours, here is my copy/paste response (if it works!)  Looks like I have the same answers as the one already posted.

OK…  good question, by which I mean, I think I can answer them (grin).

1) If we know that someone is Cylon (he didn't reveal himself), but made some obvious move (like moving cyvilian ships into cylon fleet territory), can we do anything beside throwing him into a brig?

In the base game, not really.  Brig is "enough."   If they are Admiral, they lose the title.  If they are President, you have to hold an election to take the title (or use an ability).  If a Cylon wants to sit in the brig, let them.  They do way less damage there!  I await other opinions!

2) When shuffling loyalty for 5 players (no gaius/sharon) we take 8 human and 2 cylon cards, give 1 to each player. But when we're giving next set of loyalty cards we take that one sleeper card and add it to which deck - that one left after dealing each player one card or to that deck left in the box

With 5 players, there is no Sympathizer.  Double check the "building the loyalty deck" section for future games.   In short, the sympathizer will only show up mid way (that is why you hold it out), and only in games that have one (4/6 player?).  Total deck size is 2 * number player, +1 for baltar +1 for Sharon, since each player gets 1 card to start, and 1 after sleeper phase.

3) What happen when someone have 2 Cylon Loyalty cards (ie Gaius from the start) - when they reveal themself they use action on both cards or just choose one of them

Tough rule to remember and "do" for new people, you reveal ONE "You are a Cylon" card, and keep the other cards face down.  Those can later be passed to another player using a cylon space (resurrection ship?).  We found a good habit was when someone was ready to "reveal" as an action, they say "I am revealing"… then we stop everything, and read the reveal rules step by step.  To easy to forget a step or accidentally flip all cards in the excitement!

Whenever there is a timing issue, the current player (the one with the token) makes the decision.  They also are last to act on votes, even if someone else called it (with XO, for example).

5) When playing that card after the skill check (forgot the name) that state that skill check is easier by 2 point do we count its power too - or we must choose - use it power in skill check or use its ability after the skill check?

It reduces the number in the upper left of the card by 2.  It does not "add" to the check - meaning if there is a partial pass item it does not help.

i.e., If a vote is a 12 to pass ,7 to partial pass (7 or more -1 Morale), or fail (-1 morale, -1 Pop), if you get  "10" and play Delcare Emergency, it changes the 12 to 10, and you pass.  But if you had "5" in the vote, it does not change the 7 to a 5.

6) When player A is rolling dice, can player B play the reroll / add +2 to roll ability card

Strategic Planning must be played PRIOR to the roll, and add 2.  So, in that case, not a valid question.  Evasive Manuevers is when viper is hit, you can force a reroll (with -2 against piloted vipers), and any human can play that.  Most (all?) cards tell you when they can be played, i.e. "play before any dice roll."

7) Does quorum cards are really that helpful? We played 4 times and maybe 2 cards was played. Or maybe we just dont know how to use them corectly.

Again, I await other opinions!  Quorum cards can be helpful if you have the right card at the right time.  Being able to brig someone, free someone or wipe out a boarding party, or getting back moral, can turn the tide of a game.  Not a bad idea to XO the president at least 2 times early in the game to draw 2 quorum cards and get some options.  Reminder, Roslin can use the President card ability to draw a card without having to discard two cards, and can play a card from her hand at not cost.  Only if she uses the president office does it count.

#4 Arhaix

Arhaix

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

One more thing, when playing Investigate Comitee - is it used similar to declare emergency? We can play it before skill check and use it's ability (it doesn't add to our 2 card per skill check limit) but it doesn't add power OR just use it's power during the skill check

#5 dakuth

dakuth

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Arhaix said:

One more thing, when playing Investigate Comitee - is it used similar to declare emergency? We can play it before skill check and use it's ability (it doesn't add to our 2 card per skill check limit) but it doesn't add power OR just use it's power during the skill check

Yes. You can only PLAY a card, or ADD it to a skill check. Never both.

#6 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Arhaix said:

subochre said:

4) The current player chooses the order, but it probably doesn't make a difference in most cases.

This can actually be very important, current player can choose to activate Raiders in an order that results in some of them chasing Civies that are about to be destroyed by other Raiders.

Arhaix said:

7) Does quorum cards are really that helpful?

I'll give a resounding NO to this question.  This has been debated quite a bit, but many of us feel that the effort you put into drawing those cards (which as you've seen can be pretty worthless) is better spent in other ways, XOing people to draw cards, Launching Scouts (extremely undervalued by new players), etc.  Although some of the Quorum Cards can be quite helpful, chances of drawing and then being able to play those cards are poor… for example, Arrest Order sounds great until all of Cylons reveal before you get a chance to use it. 
You also need to consider that you are concentrating a lot of power in the hands of just one person; if you're using the Quorum deck a lot then sooner or later you'll play a game in which someone XOs the Pres to draw 2 Quorum cards and instead he/she plays Arrest Order on 2 different people, laughs maniacally and then doesnt even reveal and just runs around the empty ship spiking skill checks, jumping with FTL for Pop loss for no reason, etc.  Meanwhile his/her Cylon buddy reveals and starts hammering you from the Cylon side while the Human team sits in the Brig and cries since the unrevealed Cylon player can play as many cards into Brig escape attempts as are necessary to ensure that they fail.

#7 nunez24carlos

nunez24carlos

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

1) No sir.

2) The loyal deck you make at the beginning is the deck you use later at the sleeper phase.

3) They use one or the other not both.

4) Yes in the back of the book there is a step guide.

5) You have to pick one or the other

6) Yes indeed.

7) In some games it will and some games it wont.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS