• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

Evening.

When I flip Cruel Interrogations (objective - capture 1 random card from opponents hand) do I get to look at the card? Does my opponent? The rules state that it is captured facedown (which is in relation to how the card is positioned under the objective), but I can't find anything to tell me if I can look at it or not? 

Thanks!

#2 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

Well, you can't look at it when you pick it, obviously, or it wouldn't be random, but there's nothing indicating you can't see what it is.  And your opponent would certainly know what it is, since it would now be missing from their hand.

#3 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

Yeah obviously I meant 'look at it after it is randomly chosen'. I presumed you could, as it says nothing to the contrary, but wasn't sure. 

And regarding my opponent, last night I flipped 2 cruel interrogations at the beginning of the game and captured 2 cards. Later my opponent wanted to check what was under each one. We agreed he couldn't as otherwise there seemed little point in capturing them facedown.

Seem right?

Thanks

#4 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Well, again, they're captured from his hand, so he'd know which two were taken (or should unless he's paying absolutely zero attention to the cards he's drawn).

As for once the cards are captured, the rules do specify that:

when a card effect instructs the LS player 
to rescue a captured card, he chooses a DS objective, 
then randomly selects one captured card at that 
objective and returns the rescued card to his hand. (p. 26)

That "randomly" would seem to imply that he couldn't look at the captured cards while they're captured.  Of course, that would really only come into play if you had multiple captured cards at a single location, since there's nothing really random about choosing from one card, and one would hope he was aware of what that captured card was.

#5 Surge1000

Surge1000

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

You guys are right that the card doesn't say you can't look at the card you pick at random.  However, you usually resolve cards or effects by doing exactly what the card says you CAN do, not by doing something else so long as the card doesn't say you can't do that.  In this case, the card doesn't say you CAN reveal the random card you picked.  Nothing in the capture and rescue section of the rulebook states that you can reveal cards before you capture them if they came directly from a player's hand either (by default -- it's simply not addressed).  My ruling based on the only evidence I have (the rulebook and the specific text of the card) would be that the DS player would not be allowed to look at the randomly chosen card being captured. 

As for captured cards, nothing in the rulebook says you can look at captured cards after they are captured.  Unless some other effect (an event, card ability, etc) says you may do so, the default position would be that you can not.

Please e-mail the question to FFG though.  I am by no means saying I have the answer that FFG intends. All I can do is make a judgement call based on the evidence before me.

#6 TonganJedi

TonganJedi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Thematically, it would make more sense to allow both players to know what the card is.  If I captured someone or something, not knowing what I now have in my "jail cell" would be absurd.

"We captured a Rebel, sir!"

"Who?"

"I'm not sure, sir.  I locked them up, but I didn't identify them."

But theme is only part of the picture, so a FFG ruling would be preferrable.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS