Action Cards Creatures and Players

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Was sorting out the action cards into creature actions, creature spells, player action, player spells.  Then I found out trait means absolutely nothing for gaining the action cards, (except order and faith spells, and rank).

Are there action cards the player cannot obtain, eg skaven attack abilities, dark magic, dark elf attacks?

I had it in my head that certain cards were race/career only eg slayer trait cards, but seem I was incorrect.

Am still reading the books, so may have missed some information.

#2 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

I suppose that it depends from GM to GM. I allow some cards with the NPC trait to be acquiered by my players, but only those that I see fit to the game, for example Whip strike or Warning shot.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

In my house rules, I have designated a couple more groups to (see my house rulebook in my signature below).  It must be leftover from playtest concepts.

jh

#4 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

I read you house rules, and they make sense.

What I was really asking is, are action cards with traits eg skaven, dark elf prohibited from being used by the players, this is what my common sense is telling me. but the rules state that traits dont prohibit players taking cards.

Think i will just state that if it has a class or race as a trait then it can only be selected by those races/classes.

#5 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

DurakBlackaxe said:

What I was really asking is, are action cards with traits eg skaven, dark elf prohibited from being used by the players, this is what my common sense is telling me. but the rules state that traits dont prohibit players taking cards.

As per RAW, the answer is NO, there is no such a limitation.

Moreover, the rules go further as saying that with a bit of imagination cards can be adapted. For example, a character armed with a flame thrower? Give him the card flame breath.

Of course, you have to use common sense, cards as Devouring Grasp or Swallow Hole, are difficut to justify for any PC… except may be for a Halfling PC.

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#6 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Yepesnopes said:

As per RAW, the answer is NO, there is no such a limitation.

Moreover, the rules go further as saying that with a bit of imagination cards can be adapted. For example, a character armed with a flame thrower? Give him the card flame breath.

Of course, you have to use common sense, cards as Devouring Grasp or Swallow Hole, are difficut to justify for any PC… except may be for a Halfling PC.

Cheers,

Yepes

Thanks. You have answered my question

Its the bolded text I must have missed, so just need to make the card adapt to the player.  That sounds reasonable.

Okay, I now just sort out the cards that say "can only be used by", into a separate deck.

So now the decks will be Actions Cards(Anyone), Action Cards(Only used by), Wizards Spells, Priest Spells, Epic Actions cards

All I can say about action cards is I have 10 boxes to hold them in, that is way too many.  But having alot of choice makes it more interesting, as you dont want clones. 

#7 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

A lot of the traits are just there for you to hang your houserules on.

On one hand, you may say it's lame that they didn't make any rules for them. I tend to think that they didn't want to make that complex a game, but they added some things — like the traits — to allow us to add those things in if we wanted.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS