B-Wing forgotten by FFG?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwamu

Kiwamu

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I enjoy the card game so far. I really love it, not just mechanically, but also thematically.

Also I enjoy seeing all the iconic ships, sure I miss some like the millenium falcon, but I guess these hit with future expansions sans one.

The B-WING. The reason I'm nervous is that it isn't also featured in the X-WING miniatures game. All the other ships had been released so far, but not the B-WING and I fear it might be forgotten by FFG :(.

Sure there is hoping we will get to see it in a RotJ expansion… but I'm not too confident… I really miss that ship … :s

#2 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Kiwamu said:

I enjoy the card game so far. I really love it, not just mechanically, but also thematically.

Also I enjoy seeing all the iconic ships, sure I miss some like the millenium falcon, but I guess these hit with future expansions sans one.

The B-WING. The reason I'm nervous is that it isn't also featured in the X-WING miniatures game. All the other ships had been released so far, but not the B-WING and I fear it might be forgotten by FFG :(.

Sure there is hoping we will get to see it in a RotJ expansion… but I'm not too confident… I really miss that ship … :s

You have no reason to think FFG has forgetten anything.  One game is only on the first expansion, the other is just the base set.  There is no basis for you to worry yourself over.

#3 Kiwamu

Kiwamu

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

ScottieATF said:

Kiwamu said:

You have no reason to think FFG has forgetten anything.  One game is only on the first expansion, the other is just the base set.  There is no basis for you to worry yourself over.

Sorry, just love this fighter… it's usually the most overlooked one… unfortunatelly…

#4 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Kiwamu said:

ScottieATF said:

Kiwamu said:

Sorry, just love this fighter… it's usually the most overlooked one… unfortunatelly…

So when they do release it, you'll rush out to buy the set?

Sounds like FFG's ploy is working exactly as intended.

#5 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

There's plenty of time for FFG to release it in this game.

Also, for the X-Wing miniatures, don't forget… they named it "Wave 2," not "Final Wave." ;-)

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#6 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

Without knowing what was going through FFG's planning of both Star Wars and X-Wing, I could offer a couple of possibilities.

For X-Wing, there just wasn't a place for the B-Wing, yet, in the lineup.  Wave 1 was about launching the game with its most iconic imagery and namesake; the X-Wing fighter.  On top of that, you're naturally going to include the most recognizable X-Wing pilot of them all; Luke Skywalker.  Naturally, the opponent of the X-Wing is the TIE Fighter, so there's your Core Set.

The next step is to grab the most recognizable Imperial "pilot" from the movies, which leads to Darth Vader and the TIE Advanced.  At that point, in the interest of no doubt tying everything back to the first movie, the Y-Wing was the natural second ship choice for the Rebels.

So now we're on to Wave 2.  FFG tosses in the Millenium Falcon and Slave I, adding a new dynamic to the game with the large ship base, and providing for one more ship on each side.  I would certainly argue the TIE Interceptor as the next most popular option to run with on the Imperial side, and the same with the A-Wing.  In fact, Wave 2 looks like a nice balance between the two forces, as the craft are comparable to each other.

The feeling is that Wave 3 will have the TIE Bomber and the B-Wing as no-brainers, so expect to see it there.  It's not like it was overlooked or forgotten, you just need to accept that business comes first, and they no doubt ascertained that the B-Wing won't be moving units like a Millenium Falcon or a TIE Advanced would.  By the time the B-Wing comes out, if a potential new player saw it and said "meh", at least the rest of the model range is there to entice them.

On the card game front, even though we got a lot of stuff in that Core Set, we really didn't, at the same time.  What I mean by that is these objective sets need to have not only their 5 Command Deck cards make sense as a group, but also synergize on some level with other objective sets in the other affiliations so as to make for some level of deck buidling.  It may not be much, but then again, it's the first of many sets of cards, so we shouldn't be expecting "everything" to be in there.

I was surprised to see Ackbar and Home One, but at the same time, I wasn't disappointed that there was no Executor or Millenium Falcon.  They'll all come in time, as the game expands, and I like to look at that as having something to look forward to.  If the B-Wing is your favourite thing about Star Wars, imagine how happy you'll be when you see that preview article on the news page that announces it in an upcoming Force Pack.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS