New characters?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Retype

Retype

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

So everyone else seems to be talking about the idea that they will be releaseing new versions of already released characters, but I was wondering which characters everyone thinks still need to be included and/or who you think would make an awesome addition to the game.

chewbaca is an obvious one to me and I was really happy to see Marra Jade in some of the card art. So how about you guys?

#2 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Character units:

Lando

Chewie

IG-88

Dengar

Wedge Antilles

Veers

Mara Jade

Some Jawas

Some Tuskens

Jabba the Hutt

Vehicle units:

The Falcon

AT-AT

Executor

Star Destroyers

B-Wings

Tie Interceptors

If they ever get into EU or prequel trilogy then my list will get even longer.

#3 Kiwamu

Kiwamu

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

In the Star wars comics, there was a Astromech droid who was strong with the force. It was the one with the bad motivator. I don't know how muc canon this story is, but essentially the bad motivator astromech droid killed his motivator so that R2D2 and C3PO could have their mission going. Would be nice if he makes some entrance in a jedi deck :D

#4 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

Kiwamu said:

In the Star wars comics, there was a Astromech droid who was strong with the force. It was the one with the bad motivator. I don't know how muc canon this story is, but essentially the bad motivator astromech droid killed his motivator so that R2D2 and C3PO could have their mission going. Would be nice if he makes some entrance in a jedi deck :D

Skippy, the Jedi Droid. The story is 100% non-canonical, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Skippy card. Just not Force Sensitive or Force User one.

Also, I sincerely hope they don't put any prequel stuff into this game, but create a separate Clone Wars game. Nor would I like them to delve too deeply into the EU. That way lies madness and really stupid stuff.

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

We've already seen two EU cards plus hints of another. Anzati Elite, Colonel Starck, and pictures of Mara Jade. I'm sure we will see more EU stuff from during the classic era. Without it would limit some of the games expandibility. 

#6 Retype

Retype

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Xenu's Paradox said:

Kiwamu said:

Skippy, the Jedi Droid. The story is 100% non-canonical, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Skippy card. Just not Force Sensitive or Force User one.

Also, I sincerely hope they don't put any prequel stuff into this game, but create a separate Clone Wars game. Nor would I like them to delve too deeply into the EU. That way lies madness and really stupid stuff.

haha i really like that kind of stuff in the older star wars stories but ya i agree it's abit rediculous. 

I was thinking about what i really like about star wars and i think Kyle Katarn would make an awesome addition as well, not to mention some of the awesome people luke first started training before the jedi were really concretly reformed. awe man . . . i think im going to go back and replay some of those old star wars games now :P

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

I would like to see Starkiller. 

#8 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

We'll probably see more of the bounty hunters from Empire for the Scum and Villainy faction.

I'd love to see a Jabba card.  It's canon that Jedi mind tricks don't work on him, so he could possibly have all kinds of fun effects with regards to committing to the Force.

And of course:

#9 Zethnar

Zethnar

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Well crap, I just realised we're going to get a Battle of Endor cycle.

All Ewok deck here we come.

Man, I hope we also get a Battle FOR Endor cycle, or at least 'saga' expansions covering the two Ewok movies… yeah that would be totally rad.

#10 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

As they are doing the hoth cycle, I'd like to see Dash Rendar and the outrider. or at least perhaps a Shadows of the Empire pack at some point.

It'd also be nice to see some of the other characters that show up in the video games - like Kyle Katarn from Dark forces.

#11 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

It would be cool if we got a "Dash in Rogue 10" or "Dash's Snowspeeder" in the Hoth set, but I really think a Dash character should come out in a Shadows Of The Empire expansion

#12 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Zuckuss and Bossk.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#13 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

LS and DS unaffiliated Mist Hunter :)

#14 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm still not entirely convinced that the version of Darth Vader we see in The Desolation of Hoth will be unidentical to his counterpart in the Core Set, gameplay-wise. I see this game's deckbuilding mechanic as providing design with a way to keep old cards fresh, by throwing a twist on what other cards share the same objective set with them. All the same, if it is indeed a new card altogether, I really hope the art will showcase Vader's far more familiar role as an Imperial commander, i.e. not lunging at the enemy with lightsaber in hand.

What I would enjoy seeing, oddly enough, is an extended delay before the release of the first Mara Jade unit card. This is purely a thematic preference. I enjoy seeing her on cards, but as a verb, not a noun, at least not yet. Much like the character should be, the Emperor's Hand makes her presence felt without needing to step into the limelight herself.

As for new characters I would like to see:

Shaak Ti (with a LS Rancor card?)
Jabba the Hutt
Dengar

#15 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

MarthWMaster said:

I'm still not entirely convinced that the version of Darth Vader we see in The Desolation of Hoth will be unidentical to his counterpart in the Core Set, gameplay-wise. I see this game's deckbuilding mechanic as providing design with a way to keep old cards fresh, by throwing a twist on what other cards share the same objective set with them. All the same, if it is indeed a new card altogether, I really hope the art will showcase Vader's far more familiar role as an Imperial commander, i.e. not lunging at the enemy with lightsaber in hand.

What I would enjoy seeing, oddly enough, is an extended delay before the release of the first Mara Jade unit card. This is purely a thematic preference. I enjoy seeing her on cards, but as a verb, not a noun, at least not yet. Much like the character should be, the Emperor's Hand makes her presence felt without needing to step into the limelight herself.

Jabba the Hutt
Dengar

Well, the Vader in Desolation is explicitly a new card. And hey, he's leading a bunch of Snowtroopers. So that's cool.

#16 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Indeed! I had not seen that promotional image before. I guess that's what I get for assuming that all FFG news can be found on this website. *sweatdrop*

Interestingly, his icons appear to be different from his Core Set version (no edge independent blast icon). I suppose this is because in this card he is acting as a leader, rather than a warrior. The template appears to be Imperial Navy, too. This is more the kind of Darth Vader I want to play. I hope his effect gives a benefit to Trooper units, 'cuz it's just not Star Wars unless I can throw legions of Imperials at my opponent, and then choke them with the Force when they disappoint me. ^_^

#17 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

MarthWMaster said:

Jabba the Hutt
Dengar

I don't know if FFG is going to provide "alternate" cards for objective sets, or at least, not anytime soon.  We're more likely to get new personas of the same characters as part of different sets.  In a way, this will allow for people to get around the "limit 2" restriction, and have, for instance, 4 copies of Vader running around in their 50 card Command Deck instead of just 2 copies.  Granted, new copies will have different gameplay functions, but you'll still be able to attach Vader's Lightsaber to any Vader.

In a related area, speaking of Core Vader, his card will continue to be interesting as the game expands, since he causes direct unit damage once per turn, any time a Sith Event card is played.  There's a handful of them now, but as the game goes on, that will grow, so in a pure Sith deck, for instance, you may find yourself using his text more often, which increases his value as a card, without increasing his cost.

I'm neither here nor there with you on Mara Jade.  There's so much material to plunder from the Original Trilogy era of Expanded Universe and elements from the movies, that we'll get a steady stream of winning content as we go along.  Where The Emperor's Hand fits in will have to be seen, but when you think of other EU fan favourites from that era, I'm sure they'll all show up; Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Dash Rendar, Thrawn and Pellaeon are all characters that we can reasonably expect to see, given their noteriety with even the most casual of EU readers.

I can't rightly see Shaak Ti showing up, or any of the other "surviving" Jedi from the Prequel Era, but who knows, I guess they have to fill in that Jedi card pool with something interesting.

Jabba and Dengar are all but guaranteed, along with the rest of the bounty hunters that showed up in Empire.

In any case, I hope FFG doesn't add on too many new "mechanics" to the game for a while.  I enjoy the gameplay as it is, and new cards will still keep it fresh without adding anything gimmicky to the mix.  Like, I would love to see some kind of lightsaber duel event kind of thing, as well as crossing cards to the dark side/light side, but it can wait a bit.

#18 smurf

smurf

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

They will bring about 20 million new char and units Cards over Time. From all movies and all timelines as this is all more or less cannon. This will include for example the old republic in some ways as stuff from the Clone Wars und stuff from the new jedi order and most of them in different versions.

Some of the Cards can maybe and maybe will be:

Vehicles, Equipment: Ionen Cannon, AT-AT, Tie Interceptor, B-wing, Devestator, Eclipse, Dreatnoughts, Corellian Fregat, Some Star Destroyer versions(some unique some in general), some special fighters from the clone wars, New order, old Republic. Milenium Falcon, Slave one, Ebon Hawk etc, etc this can go endless….

Chars: Vader-Luke-Palpatine-Joda-Obi Wan in multi different versions like a good Vader Spirit or good and bad Anakin a Grand Master Skywalker and so on. Amidala, Jango Fett, Count Duko, Revan, Mara Jade, Admiral Thrawn, Mace Windu, A lot of the Masters from the Jedi Council, A lot of the Chars from the Hutta Crime Cartel, etc, etc, etc…

The Cards they can Print are near endless, it all depends on the Fact if they are willing up to mix the timelines or find rules to get different timelines involved. Some of the Timelines are already mixed up like the clone Wars to "a new Hope" where some Clone Troopers still exists and some of the old republic Ships too. Or Palpatine as a Clone in the new Republic era and a Senator/chanchlor in the Clone Wars. 

I for my part would love to see some Cards from the Old Republic :-)

The thing is, that i dont see any problems in Mixing up the timelines as this is a Game of general good against evil, light against shadow . Like i dont have a problem with Vader bringing down the "Home One"(as i see Vader on board of the Vesse:l and Vader even on board a calamari Cruiser can be a pain in the ass).

#19 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Smurf. They won't be doing prequel stuff. There license is for classic trilogy. And mixing up timelines is just dumb. 

#20 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

MarthWMaster said:

Indeed! I had not seen that promotional image before. I guess that's what I get for assuming that all FFG news can be found on this website. *sweatdrop*

To be fair this isn't exactly news, a forumite saw it in this months Game Trade Magazine from Alliance distributor and snapped a picture of it. It's not so much news as a preview to increase orders for the distributor.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS