First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

My wife and I stumbled through our first game.  The first few turns were awkward as I was trying to grasp the game concepts, but it sped up once we got the hang of it.  I was Jedi, she was Sith.  I thought it was a really tight game.  At first I thought that she was going to crush me since initially she had the dark side with her.  However, once I committed Obi-wan to the force I was able to slow the game in my favor.  The game shifted to my favor once I had obi wan, a light side apprentice, and the cruiser redemption attack the heart of the empire causing 5 damage.  I would have won the next turn with the same attackers if it was not for the fact that I lost the edge battle and she got the edge (we both cancelled, but because she was the defender she won).  Since most of the blast icons I had were edge dependent it did not work (Even luke joined the fight at this point).  She won the next turn as she took her second objective with the Emperor, a probe droid, and a night sister and pushed the death star dial to 12.

Good game, keep up the good work!

#2 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

I wish I could get my wife to play cards with me. She stopped like 6 years ago and wont play anymore games.  I am glad you and you wife had a good time.

#3 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

TGO said:

I wish I could get my wife to play cards with me. She stopped like 6 years ago and wont play anymore games.  I am glad you and you wife had a good time.

I bought her an Ipad, she owes me. 

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

peterstepon said:

TGO said:

I bought her an Ipad, she owes me. 

I bought my wife an iPad. I am so using that to my advantage now. She uses it to play Ascension mostly. 

#5 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

The wife and I had a rematch with the same sides, Jedi vs Sith.  This time the Light side won when the deathstar was at 6.  The Light side had all the advantages that they pressed.  Here were some advantages of the light side.

Resource generating cards:  R2D2 and the Dagobah training grounds gave me a total of 6 resources a turn to use

Good force generation:  The plethora of force sensitive units such as Obi-wan and luke skywalker, plus some of the support cards like Jedi monument and one of the objectives ensured that I had the light side of the force for most of the game.  I did not even need to play Yoda but he would have sent the force through the straosphere. 

Champion characters:  My wife played Darth Vader in an edge battle.  I had Luke Skywalker, Obi-wan, Redemption, plus Yoda.  Luke Skywalker and Redemption can wreck bloody havoc on objectives, especially if there is no one to defend because the defenders are all tapped out. 

Tactics and force icons:  I can appreciate now the use of force tokens by way of the tactics icon.  This enables you to paralyze enemy units that could be used in the next turn, or could be used in the conflict phase.  By ensuring that all of the enemy characters are filled with force icons you can slip into their objective space and gain the advantage of having +1 advantage to damage to an objective.  Using Obi-wan, luke, and redemption attack unopposed, they were able to destroy 2 objectives in one turn, winning the game.

The theme is pretty good.  The Empire has the numbers, but the Jedi have champions who can slip into the critical areas and cause immense damage. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS