Elldan&Ellohir + Eagles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Barnie91

Barnie91

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hey, I'm new in the game. I just builded my first solo deck. I wanted to know what you guys think of it.

[ADMIN: Broken links removed.]

#2 Barnie91

Barnie91

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Eagles

Hero (3)
Aragorn (Core) x1
Elladan (RtR) x1
Elrohir (TRG) x1

Ally (19)
Bofur (OHaUH) x2
Descendant of Thorondor (THoEM) x2
Eagles of the Misty Mountains (RtM) x3
Erestor (TLD) x1
Faramir (Core) x1
Gandalf (Core) x3
Landroval (AJtR) x1
Radagast (AJtR) x1
Vassal of the Windlord (TDM) x3
Winged Guardian (THfG) x2

Attachment (17)
Blade of Gondolin (Core) x2
Born Aloft (CatC) x1
Horn of Gondor (Core) x2
Resourceful (TWitW) x1
Rivendell Blade (RtR) x2
Song of Battle (TDM) x3
Spear of the Citadel (HON) x1
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3
Sword that was Broken (TWitW) x2

Event (14)
Feint (Core) x3
Foe-hammer (OHaUH) x3
Meneldor's Flight (THoEM) x2
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
The Eagles Are Coming! (THfG) x3

#3 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

You build decks like I do -- including only 1 or 2 copies of a card even if 3 are available.  To tell the truth, this is not the ideal way to build a deck.  Doing it this way results in a deck with variable performance, meaning you're more dependent on luck delivering the right cards to you, and making it harder to predict what will come out of your deck (and thus harder to form a robust strategy).  A lot of people would recommend including 3 copies of cards, with the argument being something like: if it's important enough to include in your deck, it's important enough to include 3 copies.

Having said that, I usually build subpar decks :)  I usually include only 2 copies of unique cards.  It's a paradox really.  These are some of the strongest cards, so you want to include 3 copies to increase your chance of drawing it.  At the same time, once you have one copy in your hand, the other 2 copies are essentially "dead" cards and just take up valuable draw space in your deck.  I usually compromise by including two copies of uniques.  

Looking at your deck, I'd predict some trouble managing resources in the early game.  You've got 2 leadership heroes and 1 tactics in there, but your deck is primarily tactics (I count 10 leadership cards).  You have some cards in there to alleviate that, but with the wrong starting hand you could suffer in the first few turns. What about trading out Aragorn for a tactics hero?  Boromir is a strong replacment, but Gimli might be better if you need that willpower.  

There's also no threat manipulation here; all those cards are in Lore and Spirit.  This kind of deck might work best in a multiplayer game.  What you lack in willpower (eagles are mostly poor questers) you make up for in combat power.  Since you can't manage threat, your strategy has to be to push through questing quickly -- can't take your time while your threat builds up.  Having a second player (or a second deck if you're playing solo) would help.  The Eagles specialize in combat while the other player contributes more to questing and maybe brings some threat manipulation, card draw, and healing to the table.

#4 Barnie91

Barnie91

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hey, thanks for your quick answer. I now added some cards so that there are at least 2 copies of each card in the deck. I also replaced Aragorn with Hama( i like his response). Usally I play with a friend together  who is doing the questing and threat thing.

est voila, the new deck:

Hero (3)
Elladan (RtR) x1
Elrohir (TRG) x1
Hama (TLD) x1

Ally (21)
Descendant of Thorondor (THoEM) x2
Bofur (OHaUH) x2
Eagles of the Misty Mountains (RtM) x3
Faramir (Core) x2
Gandalf (Core) x2
Landroval (AJtR) x2
Radagast (AJtR) x2
Vassal of the Windlord (TDM) x3
Winged Guardian (THfG) x3

Attachment (17)
Cram (OHaUH) x2
Horn of Gondor (Core) x3
Rivendell Blade (RtR) x2
Spear of the Citadel (HON) x2
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3
Support of the Eagles (RtM) x2
Song of Battle (TDM) x3

Event (14)
Feint (Core) x3
Foe-hammer (OHaUH) x3
Meneldor's Flight (THoEM) x2
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
The Eagles Are Coming! (THfG) x3

#5 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Looks like it wil perform more consistently now -- gotta say, I love Foe-hammer (which combos so well with Hama and a Blade of Gondolin!) and the versatility it adds to a tactics deck, without diverting tactics from its mission: smash all enemies!  And along with Goblin-cleaver, making Weapon cards way more valuable (and they were already nice!).

Let us know how your deck plays!

#6 Barnie91

Barnie91

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Just player with a friend Carrock Scenario. It worked pretty good in Combination with a Lore/Spirit deck!  :D  If I get in any trouble with one of the other scenaios I will let you know ;D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS