• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Venal

The regiment's commander is a thoroughly dishonest and conniving character, seeking only to feather his own nest and obtain as easy a life as possible for himself and his immediate allies. Experienced in both the receiving and giving of bribes, laxity and corruption spreads through the ranks of his regiment.
Cost: 2 points
Starting Skills:
Charm, Commerce

Craven
The regiment's commander is a fainthearted coward who is willing to sacrifice any of his own troops in order to save his own skin. Those under his command are fully aware of their commander's failings, and become adept in finding ways to ensure their own safety.
Cost: 2 points
Starting Talents: Hard Target

Fanatic
The regiment's commander is utterly devoted to the God Emperor. However, his devotion is coupled to an imbalanced mind. He is prone to seeing everything in quasi-religious terms, and his faith is so strong that it blinds him to military necessity.
Cost:2
Starting Talents: Unshakeable Faith

Quill pusher
The regiment's commander is a stickler for the endless rules and regulations produced by the Departmento Munitorum. He will cross every Theta and dot every Iota in his quest to perfect the regiment's paperwork. His reputation among his peers is poor: his reputation among the Munitorum is stellar.
Cost:2
Starting Talent: Munitorum Influence 

Martinet
The regiment's commander is a bully, myopically punishing those who show initiative and rewarding pedants and plodders. He drives his guardsmen hard, generally in the wrong direction, insisting that their uniforms be neat and pressed as he marches them to their graves. His followers learn to manipulate him by creatively interpreting his contradictory orders in order to achieve their objectives.
Cost:1
Starting Skill: Deceive
Additional: if this type of CO is taken, the cost for the cost of an additional parade uniform to form part of Standard Kit is reduced from 5 to 2 points for the purposes of Table 2-6 on page 69 of the Core Rulebook.

#2 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Were you in the american military? (LOL)

#3 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I have no idea about balance but I certainly like these.

#4 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Radwraith said:

Were you in the american military? (LOL)

Oof! Well no, but I'm sure there are good and bad officers in every military. After all, the corrupt/cowardly commander is a classic fictional trope. The officers in the regiment creation system represent  a range of types, but none of them were ostensibly terrible. This was sort of my point: I just thought some campaigns might benefit from some really terrible COs!

And as for balance, they're not play tested (my copy of Only War only arrived on Friday) so yes, exercise discretion! :-)

#5 The Glen

The Glen

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Only problem with quill pusher is you can end up with a starting squad with a logistics rating of 60 if each soldier gets +5 logistics, plus 30 starting (40 if highborn).  Might want to just give it a +5/+10 flat increase.

#6 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

The Glen said:

Only problem with quill pusher is you can end up with a starting squad with a logistics rating of 60 if each soldier gets +5 logistics, plus 30 starting (40 if highborn).  Might want to just give it a +5/+10 flat increase.

Yes, this could be a problem. I'm still getting to grips with the system, as I only got the book on Friday, have only had a chance to read it for about an hour over the weekend and didn't participate in the Beta.

Then again, the Commanding Officer section of regimental creation seems to be a device to provide the player with either 2 skills or a tier 2 Talent (as I read it) so the level of the Talent added is about right, I'd tentatively argue…Do you think min/maxing in order to get the best logistics rating is something everyone's going to be doing? 

I suppose you're right, a certain type of player might…and if they've gone for an officer of this type, it suggests that's what they're up to! I'm just a bit reluctant to be getting into a +5/+10 flat increase, as that's not something the core rulebook seems to use for other types of commanding officer…  

#7 The Glen

The Glen

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

Go with Peer: Munitorium instead. Gives them a bonus to acquire items with the commerce check, but doesn't have privates running around with power fists.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS