using routing to get strong units away.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Athelas Loraiel

Athelas Loraiel

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

We find it to be too easy to use triangle units as cheap ones to route/move out neutral dragons/giants from their lands.

Maybe we misread the rules so we are asking for clarifications.

1. Do hexagon units have some kind of ability to resist route when it is forced upon them?

2. Mostly these big guys (dragons and giants) end up being in a land that is surrounded by player controled areas - when attacked (or via tactics card that forces them to retreat) and when they have to retreat - they usualy end up with nowhere to retreat and are destroyed.

Is that right? Are they destroyed when they can't retreat (there are only mountains and player owned areas around them!).

3. Can routed dragons retreat via mountains or sea routes?(Flyers)

4. and to be sure: does final strenght counts only by the number of units standing (as we know - hexagon units even if routed count as standing) and stronghold modifiers or is there something else?

5. When in battle enemy unit gets a wound and end up destroyed - is it removed immediately or does it still play it's turn of initiative, even if it dies at the end?

#2 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

Athelas Loraiel said:

1. Do hexagon units have some kind of ability to resist route when it is forced upon them?

No, they are affected the same as any other unit.

Athelas Loraiel said:

2. Mostly these big guys (dragons and giants) end up being in a land that is surrounded by player controled areas - when attacked (or via tactics card that forces them to retreat) and when they have to retreat - they usualy end up with nowhere to retreat and are destroyed.

Is that right? Are they destroyed when they can't retreat (there are only mountains and player owned areas around them!).

Correct, they are destroyed if there is nowhere for them to go.

Athelas Loraiel said:

3. Can routed dragons retreat via mountains or sea routes?(Flyers)

Yes, flying units can retreat over mountains and water borders.

Athelas Loraiel said:

4. and to be sure: does final strenght counts only by the number of units standing (as we know - hexagon units even if routed count as standing) and stronghold modifiers or is there something else?

Strength is only the raw number of units.  A triangle unit in counting strength is the same as a hexagon unit.  This rule is important in the game overall - hexagon units are strong in battle, but you need to make sure you have a good army of cannon fodder to support them.

Note, however, that in the Revised Edition rules, hexagon units count towards your strength even if routed.  So a routed Dragon will still be strength 1.

Athelas Loraiel said:

5. When in battle enemy unit gets a wound and end up destroyed - is it removed immediately or does it still play it's turn of initiative, even if it dies at the end?

When a unit is destroyed, it is immediately removed.  If you haven't drawn cards for that unit yet, it doesn't get to.  If you have already drawn cards for it (IE, it has the same initiative as the enemy unit killing it), you still resolve the cards you've drawn.

One thing to note is that the neutral units on the board aren't meant to be unsurmountable nasties.  The Giants and Dragons are a little bit tougher to push out early in the game, but they aren't meant to be raw unstoppable forces on their own.  They are mostly roadblocks, though if you can get them to ally with you, Dragons and Giants are very nasty allies and can cause a lot of damage, since you can protect them with your cannon fodder units.  Also, during the early game when people are attacking neutrals and causing them to retreat, the player to the left chooses where they go.  It's often helpful to try to force them to retreat where other Neutrals are, because even a small group of neutral units can become much more costly to overcome.  But overall, neutral units are intended to be easier to uproot than enemy units.

#3 Athelas Loraiel

Athelas Loraiel

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

without cannon fodder units, dragons and giants don't stand a chance to size 6 aermy.

we always get route against them.

i found out a good strategy for elves was to push them into one place then ally with them using max influence.

I got big stroong armies and won in the end.

heroe plaed minor role, only as support in battle - I finished one quest.

I won against human lords and  undead.

Undead was worrying. He raised his zombie shield in every battle.

and, I had a flying unit of 4 pegasi and 1 dragon for excursions into deep human lands.

anyway,

we are checking expansion which I have.

I find it woryying that human new units abilities and to some degree undead   are overpowering.

especialy with elves since their units in expansion sound worthless?

can someone give hints to new units use?

#4 Athelas Loraiel

Athelas Loraiel

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

bump,

please help with new units and strategies in expansion.

Thank you.

#5 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Alas, strategy discussions aren't really my strong point.  I can hold my own during games, but trying to explain what I do in a coherent manner isn't something I'm very good at :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS