A No-Brainer License: BORDERLANDS on the Tabletop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steveg700

steveg700

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

In today's market, new IP's are a huge gamble. Most don't pay off. Consider that, and then consider that of all the new IP's of the last five years or so, Borderlands is easily one of the biggest breakout success stories.

And yet, not much is really happening with the IP. IDW has done a few comics. That's about it.

For those not familiar, it's a class-based co-operative shooter set on a mined-out, post-boomtown planet. It has an atmosphere that evokes spagheti westerns and Mad Max movies. Its gameplay is driven by XP and loot in the tradition of Diablo or Torchlight, but with a focus on guns rather than archaic weapons. Playing the game, it becomes evident how much more diversity can be bound in guns than in muscle-powered weapons. Sure, a sword is faster than an axe, and axe hits harder, but there's not that much there to mine from a design point of view.

Now, think about the distinction between sniper rifles, shotguns, assault rifles, and rocket launchers. You have damage, recoil, rate of fire, magazine capacity, reload speed, scopes, and more. And then there's different types of ammo to boot.

Borderlands is just screaming to have a Descent-like treatment.

#2 KingOfOdonata

KingOfOdonata

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I was actually thinking the same thing. Borderlands has been a HUGE success in the video gaming world and has actually created a unique world, style, and characters.

Now my idea on how to get it on the table is instead of a board game (not that I wouldn't play a board game), I'd like to see an LCG . I'm actually planning on making one myself for fun and then try to pitch it if no one else produces one. I think the license and its material is deep and quite interesting, and would translate well to an LCG. Plus, for huge fans of Borderlands, just owning cards of the creatures, characters, weapons, etc. would be awesome. The only major thing I think should leave out of this LCG though is no faction restrictions, unlike most of their other LCGs. Also, I wouldn't make the game asymmterical or coop. Borderlands is vicious, brutal, and often driven by obtaining power and money. Now, they could try to focus on more multiplayer or team style games, which would be wild. Then again, an all out battle (like a Slaughter Dome) would be a cool game as well. Maybe they could create a core game with many interesting game play variants (Basic 2-Player Constructed, Draft, Deathmatch/Arena, Team, etc.). That would be an awesome endeavor and something I would immediately play. I also like the idea of another LCG that isn't based on medieval fantasy, or over used licenses like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Not to say those games might not be good, but it would be cool to see something new make it to the table.

#3 steveg700

steveg700

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

Wow. This is the deadest forum in the universe, at least in respect to websites for hale and hearty companies with lots of devoted fans.

So this hasn't happened yet? What a missed opportunity.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS