Push the Limit & granted actions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kraedin

kraedin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Push the Limit reads: Once per round, after you perform an action, you may perform one free action shown in your action bar. Then receive 1 stress token.

Is there any reason you couldn't use this after a granted action? For example, could an Tycho Celchu use Push the Limit to take 1 free action after the action granted by Lando Calrissian's special ability?

#2 Acebaur

Acebaur

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

You are absolutely correct. Which means you could also use it after Turr Phennir's pilot ability that allows you to perform a free barrel roll or boost meaning he could potentially take 3 actions in one turn.

#3 Gravis

Gravis

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Or after an action granted by an ability such as Squad Leader.

#4 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yes, he certainly can, however I point out that it does say once per round, so they can only do PTL if they haven't used PTL yet this turn (for example, after their own action)

#5 Gravis

Gravis

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

godofcheese said:

Yes, he certainly can, however I point out that it does say once per round, so they can only do PTL if they haven't used PTL yet this turn (for example, after their own action)

Which was clever of them.  Otherwise Tycho would be executing every single one of his actions every round he was allowed to take actions.

#6 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

Thread necro power active! :blink:

I think this is right, but it's late but I'm in a squad building mind-set, and I think this works out stress-free with three actions for Tycho:

Lando take a green manoeuvre at PS7 with Tycho at range 1 after the move is made. Tycho takes free action from Lando's ability. Tycho then activates PtL and takes second action plus a stress token for PtL. Tycho then takes his turn at PS8, takes a green manoeuvre, clears the one stress from the PtL and then takes his (now third) action as normal after his move. Net result: 3 actions for Tycho with no added stress for the turn.

Correct?

(and yes, not that it matters if Tycho pools the stress, but I like to keep him as clean as possible in case I need that K-turn)

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

Core: 3 sets

Rebel: 1 X, 3 Y, 3 A, 2 B, 2 H, 2 YT-1300, 2 E, 4 Z, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75, 2 Reb Aces

Imperial: 2 T, 3 T/Ad, 4 T/Int, 2 T/Bmb, 2 T/Df, 2T/Ph, 2 Shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 Imp Aces

Order: 1 YT-2400, 1 VT-49

#7 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:35 AM

Yes, that theoretically works.
Similarly, someone with Adv. Sensors and PTL gets 2 actions with self-clearing stress.

Hilariously, in your example, using a lvl 9 pilot with Squad Leader as well would bump Tycho up to 4 actions!

#8 KovuTalli

KovuTalli

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

Only issue is you cannot perform the same action twice in the same round, even if its a "Free" Action. However if another ship passes a focus or triggers another Ability that gives you Focus or another Token in some way that is allowed.

And no you can only use PTL Once per Round. So you could not use it on the Free action and then use it again later.

Edited by KovuTalli, 09 March 2014 - 06:46 AM.

Rebel Fleet: 3x X-wing, 1x A-wing 1x Y-wing 1x YT-1300.

On Order: 1x  HWK, 1x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 2x Tie Interceptor.

Imperial Fleet: 4x Tie Fighter, 2x Tie Adv, 1x Lambda Shuttle.

#9 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

And no you can only use PTL Once per Round. So you could not use it on the Free action and then use it again later.

This wasn't confused by anyone.

1. Lando performs Green Maneuver
  2. Lando passes free action to Tycho
  3. Tycho uses PTL to do 2 actions instead
  4. Tycho gains a stress
  5. Tycho performs Green Maneuver
  6. Tycho clears his stress
  7. Tycho performs a third action (his normal one)
  8. *Wedge moves
  9. *Wedge uses Squad Leader on Tycho
  10. *Tycho performs a 4th action

Steps 8, 9,and 10 were added by my suggestion. Interestingly, Tycho doesn't need to perform green maneuvers to do this chain, but literally any other level 7 or 8 pilot can do this in the same manner, assuming they have enough actions to perform.
And then there's the Adv Sensors variant:

1. Ibtisam is about to reveal her maneuvering dial.
  2. Ibtisam uses Adv. Sensors to take her action before movement.
  3. Ibtisam uses PTL to do 2 actions instead
  4. Ibtisam receives a stress
  5. Ibtisam reveals her maneuvering dial, and performs a green action
  6. Ibtisam removes her stress
  7. Lando does a green maneuver and gives her a 3rd action.
  8. Wedge uses Squad Leader, and gives her a 4th action.

Edited by DraconPyrothayan, 09 March 2014 - 07:03 AM.

• Slugrage likes this

#10 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

Ibtisam would have trouble with the 4th action as B-Wings only have 3 actions on their action bar.  Otherwise, looks good.

#11 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Eh, if your going to all this trouble your probably giving her an engine upgrade too.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#12 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

Fair enough.  It's also probably worth pointing out that the combo is now 113 points (only 110 without the engine upgrade...).  Granted the Tycho/Lando/Wedge combo is also over cost, but not by quite as much at 104 points.

#13 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Fair enough.  It's also probably worth pointing out that the combo is now 113 points (only 110 without the engine upgrade...).  Granted the Tycho/Lando/Wedge combo is also over cost, but not by quite as much at 104 points.

Never let the costs stand in the way of SCIENCE!!!

• Scurvy Lobster likes this

#14 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

And, it'll probably be legal in "epic play" as it's fair to assume that we'll get at least 13 more points to play around with :).  Still a ton of points to sink into giving one ship 4 actions... but fun.

#15 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Epic Play: Build squads with no more than "110.327" points and expand playing surface to "4 feet 8 7/12 cm" x "3.pi feet" :D

Edited by Forgottenlore, 09 March 2014 - 12:36 PM.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#16 KovuTalli

KovuTalli

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

My Mistake, I thought I saw someone asking if you could PTL on a free action that you are given and then again for your own action.

Rebel Fleet: 3x X-wing, 1x A-wing 1x Y-wing 1x YT-1300.

On Order: 1x  HWK, 1x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 2x Tie Interceptor.

Imperial Fleet: 4x Tie Fighter, 2x Tie Adv, 1x Lambda Shuttle.

#17 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Thanks guys. I kind of thought of the 4th action route for that Tycho example, but by then it was way too late and I wasn't thinking clearly to start with.

Beyond that, we often play 150pt games for fun in our group. It buggers up your tournament training for sure, but it's amusing to watch a mirror match with 150 points of TIEs trying to hit each other for hours on end.

Core: 3 sets

Rebel: 1 X, 3 Y, 3 A, 2 B, 2 H, 2 YT-1300, 2 E, 4 Z, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75, 2 Reb Aces

Imperial: 2 T, 3 T/Ad, 4 T/Int, 2 T/Bmb, 2 T/Df, 2T/Ph, 2 Shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 Imp Aces

Order: 1 YT-2400, 1 VT-49

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS