• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hey gang…

I wonder, how do you handle distributing experience points to your players?  I find it difficult to follow written adventure XP by the book since most adventures run shorter/longer than written, or hand other tangents involved. 

What we have done so far is give 1 XP per session, and 2 XP for the finale of the adventure. 

How do you handle it?  Do you think this is too little? Too much? 

Given that most adventures are 3-5 sessions long, that would require a tremendous amount of adventuring to reach Tier 3 or greater. 

Gitzman

#2 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I've always done 1 per session.

… ish

At that rate, assuming that you play every other week (and actually make all those games religiously), you are rank 3 at 26xp after a year. If you continue, you are maxed out at rank 6 before the end of the next year. That seems about right, to me.

Most people think to slow progression, rather than speed it up.

If you want to have Rank 3 PCs, you may consider just starting them at Rank 3 and give an advance every few adventures.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

We play 3.5-4 hr sessions hence we use the 1xp rule.  Since I run scenarios at a very rapid pace, this works out perfectly for each of my campaigns (usually mid rank 3 between change-overs)

Since the game doesn't get any more broken as you rank up, I can't see any reason to torture the players with the prospect of 3rd tier careers, and never let them get there.

I'm leaning towards slowing the xp advancement at 3rd career, but I dont think it really matters.

jh

#4 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

1xp per session. My current campaign (playing through the old Enemy Within campaign + we started off with the witch's song) has been 44 sessions so far, and even though the players are now "epic" they still are challenged by the adventures.

#5 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Expierience awards depend soley upon what the PCs accomplish in my campaign. I made this clear at the start and my players are totally cool with it, though some haggling does come into play from time to time. If the party hasn't reached a specific goal, or not really done much other than wander around a city for the entire session, I'm less prone to give our expieriece and more prone to hand out extra fortune points at the beginning of our next session. So far, this system of awards has worked perfectly for my group.

#6 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

GoblynKing said:

Expierience awards depend soley upon what the PCs accomplish in my campaign. I made this clear at the start and my players are totally cool with it, though some haggling does come into play from time to time. If the party hasn't reached a specific goal, or not really done much other than wander around a city for the entire session, I'm less prone to give our expieriece and more prone to hand out extra fortune points at the beginning of our next session. So far, this system of awards has worked perfectly for my group.

+1

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

I think that's a great idea.

jh

#8 socratim

socratim

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

We play 3-5hr sessions and I give out 1xp plus 1 if the evening felt epic or the players did "a good job" (roleplaying-wise, goal-achieving or other).

I also give the option for the sporadic players to raise their xp to the max (player with most xp), which everyone used so far.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS