If you have the conversion kit, can you play the 1st edition with the 2nd edition rules? I'm fairly new to the Descent games but I have some of 1st edtion and 2nd edition.
If you have the conversion kit, can you play the 1st edition with the 2nd edition rules?
Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:01 PM
The Conversion kit only allows you to play your 1st edition models in the 2nd edition with rules. It is Hero Cards and Monster Cards (with a few familiar cards) for the models from 1st edition core set, and three Expansions (Tomb of Ice, Well of Darkness, and Alter of Dispair), plus a few heroes from Runescape (I think that's right, it says so on the conversion kit box).
Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:00 AM
Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:24 AM
The two game systems are too different.
In 2nd edition, for an example, heroes never die.
Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:24 PM
They are practically different games, built on the same core concepts and ideas. To get more specific…
You would still need some of the 2nd edition content. 2nd edition cuts out a lot of the detail and distills the game down to an essence, then builds it back up. Gone are trips to town and levelling-up mid-dungeon. Quests are smaller and broken down into bite-sized Encounters. The game shifted from mechanical beat-em-up to objective based.
- Dice have changed.
- You would need the Class cards for your hero's abilities and basic equipment
- Since the game flow and combat mechanics have changed, many cards from 1st Edition would have no place in 2nd Edition (Town Cards, Chest Cards, etc), and the rest are invalidated by the changes. Gone is Threat for the Overlord to spawn in new monsters. Gone is hero death, but the Overlord has other ways to win.
- The quests are very different in design. 1st edition quests are relatively large and have a lot of filler and window-dressing, and are both combat and exploration oriented in nature. 2nd Edition quests are smaller bit sized adventures focused on both sides trying to complete their objectives first. You would have to re-plan the quests for balance, at a minimum, and redesign most.
- 1st Edition Tiles could be re-used if you made Quests specifically for them, but 2nd edition Since 2nd edition introduces new tiles, which are more varied and interesting.
- Monster and Hero minis - this is what the conversion kit is for, so you can use all that plastic goodness.