Brutal Charge trait for Weirdboyz, but not Freebooterz

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 devinebovine

devinebovine

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

In Into the Storm, it says that all Ork Player Characters start with the "Made Fer Fightin'" trait. This gives them the Furious Assault and Xenos Weapon Training (Ork) Talents.

But this changes in the Navis Primer! In that book the "Made Fer Fightin'" trait says they ALSO get the Brutal Charge trait!

I feel like there must be a mistake somewhere. Weirdboyz are far less "fighty" than regular boyz, since they spend the majority of their time trying to not have their heads explode. Now, while Freebooterz can get Brutal Charge at rank 1 (for 500 xp), this inconsistency still bothers me. Since the errata didn't add it for Into the Storm characters, my hunch is that it was a misprint in the Navis Primer. Further suggesting it was a mispring, the Brutal Charge is also available for purchas in rank 2 of the Weirdboy career.

I'm just looking for some collusion before I deny my Weirdboy player Brutal Charge. Which will make him sad. But makes more sense.

#2 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

devinebovine said:

In Into the Storm, it says that all Ork Player Characters start with the "Made Fer Fightin'" trait. This gives them the Furious Assault and Xenos Weapon Training (Ork) Talents.

But this changes in the Navis Primer! In that book the "Made Fer Fightin'" trait says they ALSO get the Brutal Charge trait!

I feel like there must be a mistake somewhere. Weirdboyz are far less "fighty" than regular boyz, since they spend the majority of their time trying to not have their heads explode. Now, while Freebooterz can get Brutal Charge at rank 1 (for 500 xp), this inconsistency still bothers me. Since the errata didn't add it for Into the Storm characters, my hunch is that it was a misprint in the Navis Primer. Further suggesting it was a mispring, the Brutal Charge is also available for purchas in rank 2 of the Weirdboy career.

I'm just looking for some collusion before I deny my Weirdboy player Brutal Charge. Which will make him sad. But makes more sense.

It's a legacy issue. Brutal Charge (as a trait that'd appeared on all Ork NPCs that had been published when Into the Storm was written), was included in "Made Fer Fightin'" in the original draft of the Ork Freebooter rules. It was, to reduce "front-loading" of abilities, made an advance available at Rank 2 instead. When I came to write the Freebooter career, it became clear that it was necessary to repeat the basic Ork PC rules, so I copy-pasted them from my old manuscripts, then went through and made necessary changes and updates (the biggest one being the change to the "Orky Know-Wots" trait to reflect that Weirdboyz are already a form of Oddboy). Clearly I (and those who looked at the manuscript afterwards) missed the mistaken inclusion of Brutal Charge.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#3 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for the info, but I'm kinda dense at times… So the wierdboy is not supposed to have Brutal Charge at all? Can it be gained as an advance?  

#4 devinebovine

devinebovine

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Weirboyz can get Brutal Charge at Rank 2. It seems that its inclusion as a starting trait was a mistake.

#5 Asoral

Asoral

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

While we are at it, what rank should Weirdboyz get Unarmed Warrior? They can't get it at any rank but they need it to get Unarmed Master at rank 8, while Freebooterz get Warrior at rank 3(or 4, cant remember) and Master at 8 also.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS