Krassis Trelix with Heavy Laser Cannon

That is 100 points on the nose.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

#2 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

I am still not sold that the big ships are value in a 100 pt game, doesn't mean I won't use them at that level, but I am really tempted to use some average TIE's with Interceptors. The Interceptor stats are pretty impressive and with stealth added, become very hard to take out whilst lending some very mobile hitting power.

Turr Phennir with Stealth and Markmanship looks to be one of the deadliest named pilots next to Wedge and Vader.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#3 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Here are my thoughts at wave 2. I'd add the Firespray at 150 pts.

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Black Squadron Pilot 1
Tie Fighter (14)
Upgrades:

• Veteran Instincts (1)
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Turr Phennir
Tie Interceptor (25)
Upgrades:

• Marksmanship (3)
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Saber Squadron Pilot 1
Tie Interceptor (21)
Upgrades:

• Marksmanship (3)
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Saber Squadron Pilot 2
Tie Interceptor (21)
Upgrades:

• Stealth (3)

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#4 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Englishpete said:

Here are my thoughts at wave 2. I'd add the Firespray at 150 pts.

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Black Squadron Pilot 1
Tie Fighter (14)
Upgrades:

• Veteran Instincts (1)
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Turr Phennir
Tie Interceptor (25)
Upgrades:

• Marksmanship (3)
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Saber Squadron Pilot 1
Tie Interceptor (21)
Upgrades:

• Marksmanship (3)
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Saber Squadron Pilot 2
Tie Interceptor (21)
Upgrades:

• Stealth (3)

Nice list…though the one thing I'd change is move Veteran Instincts to Saber Squadron Pilot 2. It's better to have a skill 6 pilot in a TIE/Int than a regular TIE Fighter IMHO.

#5 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Here's another option for you.

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: "Howlrunner"
Tie Fighter (18)
Upgrades:

• Elusiveness (2)
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Turr Phennir
Tie Interceptor (25)
Upgrades:

• Push The limit (3)
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Alpha Squadron Pilot 1
Tie Interceptor (18)
Upgrades:

• Stealth (3)

Pilot: Saber Squadron Pilot 1
Tie Interceptor (21)
Upgrades:

• Veteran Instincts (1)
  • Stealth (3)

I Like Howlrunner with the Tie Interceptors.  The extra reroll makes them that much more deadly.  Howlrunner will be a target so I thought Elusiveness would help give him an edge and let him keep the Stealth device a little longer.   I like Push the Limit more the Marksmanship with Turr, because it gives him more options, and the Interceptors have so many green manuvers, the stress token won't limit him much.

#6 HooblaDGN

HooblaDGN

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I don't understand all of these stealth builds. I mean, yeah, they're cool, but don't you need a copy for each at a tournament? It's my understanding that Stealth Device will only come with the Firespray, so you would need to buy four or five of those for some of these builds.

#7 Traden Myr

Traden Myr

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Slave-1 comes with 2 Stealth Devices if I am not mistaken.

#8 HooblaDGN

HooblaDGN

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

That would make it easier to collect them, then. Was planning on picking up two of the buggers.

EDIT: Looks like it does, indeed, come with 2. Rather crafty of them to package it with the larger ship, but at least that extra makes it easier. Now, just have to wait… and wait…

#9 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Herrgeist said:

Darth Vader with Concussion Missiles, Swarm Tactics and Stealth Device

Dark Curse with Stealth Device
Krassis Trelix with Heavy Laser Cannon

That is 100 points on the nose.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Dark Curse with Stealth Device is very good. And Krassis with HLC is the way to go if you field a Firespray. So high marks on those two choices.

Vader, though, I'm still not sold on, not that he's ever a bad choice, just not sure if he's going to work as well after Wave 2 is released. And this is entirely my own opinion, so take it for what it's worth. If fielding Vader as you have listed fits your play style, knock yourself out and have fun doing it. If his missiles hit, I could see this as a very powerful 1-2 punch, with Vader giving Swarm Tactics to Krassis, Krassis shooting at Range 2-3 to take some shields down, then Vader missiling to do some more serious damage.

With only fielding 3 ships, and Dark Curse being nigh impossible to hit, your opponent's targets are going to be Vader and Krassis, and I can't decide which one I would try and knock out first, probably Vader. The Stealth Device will help, but with the way the game is headed, i can see you losing that first combat round. And from what I've seen, any ship that loses Stealth Device goes down fairly quickly afterwards, although his shields will help. As you have him listed, Vader is 38 points, and with him being the main target, once you lose him you lose a lot.

Krassis will be your next big hitter, you'll just have to fly very well to avoid asteroids and collisions so you can actually get attacks off. And keep in mind you won't get to use the HLC in your auxiliary firing arc, which is another knock against Firesprays. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to not run it, just that you'll have to be good to pull it off well, so practice maneuvering the Firespray.

Good luck, and have fun! :)

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#10 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

You get 2 Stealth cards in the Firespray box, so you will need 2 of them if you want to have 4 ships with Stealth.  I will probably get 2 because I'm crazy that way.

#11 Herrgeist

Herrgeist

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

hothie said:

Vader, though, I'm still not sold on, not that he's ever a bad choice, just not sure if he's going to work as well after Wave 2 is released. And this is entirely my own opinion, so take it for what it's worth. If fielding Vader as you have listed fits your play style, knock yourself out and have fun doing it. If his missiles hit, I could see this as a very powerful 1-2 punch, with Vader giving Swarm Tactics to Krassis, Krassis shooting at Range 2-3 to take some shields down, then Vader missiling to do some more serious damage.

So just asking who would you take with Krassis?

Btw thank you everyone

#12 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

Herrgeist said:

hothie said:

Btw thank you everyone

I put up this blog post on the topic yesterday!

I'm with Hothie on Vader. His ability is a little less interesting when any elite pilot can pick it up as a 3-point upgrade, and the existence of Stealth emphasizes his relatively weak offense. I would only run him with missiles, and then only in a squad oriented toward an alpha strike.

Meanwhile, at 37 points he's displacing 3 base TIEs, 2 base Interceptors, or a base Firespray (not that you'd really want another one). So I think there's a good argument for throwing some combination of fighters in, which will pump up your offense substantially.

#13 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

You have 38 points to work with. Here are a few suggestions:

1. If you really wanted to frustrate your opponent and help keep Krassis alive, you could go with Black Squadron Pilot with Draw Their Fire and Shield Upgrade X2. Essentially these would be bodyguards for the Firespray, taking crits away from it. And with 2 of them, it would likely last until time runs out. The trouble with this squad is aside from Krassis, you don't have a lot of firepower, as you'll have 3 TIEs with 2 attack dice, which, IMHO, after Wave 2 I just don't think will be enough. Also your skill levels will be 6, 5, 4, 4, so you'll be susceptible to the higher pilot skills attacking first as well as the lower pilot skills getting in the way of your firespray.

2. Another, more powerful option would be Soontir Fel with Push the Limit and Stealth Device. Fel like this is very hard to kill, because you move, take an action, take another action with PtL, gain stress token, then gain focus token. So effectively you'll have minimum 4 defense dice with a likely focus and evade token. It's very hard to beat that. Then next round, execute a green maneuver (which the Interceptor has 7) and do it again. This comes to 33 points, so you could add Missiles (honestly, my choice would be cluster missiles, since they work at range 1, because at 2 and 3 you'll be using the HLC) onto your Firespray if you wanted to. So, you'd still have your level 9 pilot and you'd still have your missiles. You would also have your level 9 pilot taking lots of actions, and you gain a base 3 attack dice with better maneuverability over Vader. As another option for the extra 5 points, you could add a pilot, bomb, and/or ship upgrade onto Krassis, so you have lots of options as to what to do with the extra points.

3. Or you could go with 2 Alpha Squadron Pilots for a little more firepower, and still have 2 points for either Mercenary Copilot or Seismic Charge for Krassis. Krassis will be the target, which will leave your other 3 ships lots of time to do some damage.

So these are just a few options. The great thing about Wave 2 is now there are even more options for squad building, so I'm sure there are better options that i haven't even thought about. Try them out, see what you think. Maybe you stick with Vader and that's fine, too. Play whatever works for you. :)

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

#14 Herrgeist

Herrgeist

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

Vorpal Sword said:

Herrgeist said:

hothie said:

Btw thank you everyone

I put up this blog post on the topic yesterday!

I'm with Hothie on Vader. His ability is a little less interesting when any elite pilot can pick it up as a 3-point upgrade, and the existence of Stealth emphasizes his relatively weak offense. I would only run him with missiles, and then only in a squad oriented toward an alpha strike.

Meanwhile, at 37 points he's displacing 3 base TIEs, 2 base Interceptors, or a base Firespray (not that you'd really want another one). So I think there's a good argument for throwing some combination of fighters in, which will pump up your offense substantially.

Awesome write up. Krassis with HLC is just plain sick, 3.5 hits avg! He will see lots of play. I do like the idea of running a small assault crew with him, but I am a bit of a snob with my ties and really like the named pilots. So maybe I would do Dark Curse +Stealth, Night Beast and Howlrunner with Squad

#15 Herrgeist

Herrgeist

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

hothie said:

1. If you really wanted to frustrate your opponent and help keep Krassis alive, you could go with Black Squadron Pilot with Draw Their Fire and Shield Upgrade X2. Essentially these would be bodyguards for the Firespray, taking crits away from it. And with 2 of them, it would likely last until time runs out. The trouble with this squad is aside from Krassis, you don't have a lot of firepower, as you'll have 3 TIEs with 2 attack dice, which, IMHO, after Wave 2 I just don't think will be enough. Also your skill levels will be 6, 5, 4, 4, so you'll be susceptible to the higher pilot skills attacking first as well as the lower pilot skills getting in the way of your firespray.

2. Another, more powerful option would be Soontir Fel with Push the Limit and Stealth Device. Fel like this is very hard to kill, because you move, take an action, take another action with PtL, gain stress token, then gain focus token. So effectively you'll have minimum 4 defense dice with a likely focus and evade token. It's very hard to beat that. Then next round, execute a green maneuver (which the Interceptor has 7) and do it again. This comes to 33 points, so you could add Missiles (honestly, my choice would be cluster missiles, since they work at range 1, because at 2 and 3 you'll be using the HLC) onto your Firespray if you wanted to. So, you'd still have your level 9 pilot and you'd still have your missiles. You would also have your level 9 pilot taking lots of actions, and you gain a base 3 attack dice with better maneuverability over Vader. As another option for the extra 5 points, you could add a pilot, bomb, and/or ship upgrade onto Krassis, so you have lots of options as to what to do with the extra points.

3. Or you could go with 2 Alpha Squadron Pilots for a little more firepower, and still have 2 points for either Mercenary Copilot or Seismic Charge for Krassis. Krassis will be the target, which will leave your other 3 ships lots of time to do some damage.

So these are just a few options. The great thing about Wave 2 is now there are even more options for squad building, so I'm sure there are better options that i haven't even thought about. Try them out, see what you think. Maybe you stick with Vader and that's fine, too. Play whatever works for you. :)

I will no doubt try Vader at least once. I will have to just to see how he works. Soontir is amazing with PTL, but that only means I will have to buy an A-Wing(ick) to get it. 

#16 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

hothie said:

I'm trying to follow this thread completely because there is some really good analysis in here. Where is this "38 points" coming from? I mean, which list are you starting with to work up to 62 points?

Thanks.

Be seeing you.

#17 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

If he leaves Dark Curse with Stealth (19 pts) and Krassis with HLC (43 pts), that comes to 62, meaning if he drops Vader, he'll have 38 points left. Vader is the Pilot I wasn't real thrilled with with his first build of the thread, and hence have discussed other options.

#18 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Thanks. I lost what you were referring back to in the various digressions in this thread. A lot of food for thought here as I only have a Falcon from wave 2 and am not making any proxies to test out the other cards until I get them for real.

Be seeing you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS