Photo

Map Designer Descent first and second edition - is planned …

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Durin-V

Durin-V

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

Hi all,

I am playing with some ideas to programm a new map designer for Descent (first and second edition).
The main Idea is to make it open source. This will guarantee a long lifecycle of the programm.
Nothing is written for it, but I think if I ask you first, than I can write a programm which fits to erveryone.
The operating system to run teh programm will be windows and a .Net version 4.0 or higher are needed. 

But now I have some questions to you…

1. At the moment there are some ideas to build a plugin for Microsoft Word or a stand alone programm. What would you prefer?
    A Word plugin would be nicefull but everybody needs Word. On the other Hand not  everybody could be happy with a page layout which is fix.
  2. The other idea is to localize the programm. This is a lot of work and if this is not needed i would programm it in english.
    If this is needed than I need help from you to translate it in different languages …
  3. I am a programmer and I am not realy good to make some images (e.g. logo design, etc)
    Is there are a graphic designer which can help me?

I think these are enough questions for now.
I am realy interrested in you answers …

PS: Sorry for english, i come from germany sonreir

#2 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

actually there are already 2 mapdesign programms for the 1. and 2. edition

tile system and vassal.

what your programm should have in special?

#3 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Nice idea. I could lend a hand for translating in French.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#4 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Tile System has everything I need from a map editor for basically any board game, but I also don't feel strongly compelled to combine the map and the text portions of a quest, for example.  Some people might want that as a feature.

I imagine a "print to PDF" option for when it's done would also be pretty cool.

#5 Triu

Triu

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Durin-V said:

1. At the moment there are some ideas to build a plugin for Microsoft Word or a stand alone programm. What would you prefer?
    A Word plugin would be nicefull but everybody needs Word. On the other Hand not  everybody could be happy with a page layout which is fix.

I'm happy with Vassal right now, but I use OpenOffice Writer at home rather than M$ Word.  Could you do something for OOW instead?  I am guessing that it might require expertise that you don't have, if it's even possible (although almost anything is possible with sufficient resources).

#6 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Looks like you might be a little late to the party!

I had recently been in the early planning stages of a Javascript/HTML5 based editor using jQuery and Bootstrap, but was juggling that with 4 other projects in my spare time so had only made progress on preliminary planning in the last 2 weeks.

But lo and behold, tonight FFG announced the Quest Vault.  Very much along the lines of what I was planning (in Javascript/HTML5 w/ jQuery and Bootstrap no less, though they used Canvas where I would have tried to stick with DOM)…

I think you might be hard pressed to compete with this cross platform solution that offers built-in quest sharing and publishing.  The moment I saw it, I shelved my own plans (all the better so I can focus on the other projects).

#7 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Maine said:

I think you might be hard pressed to compete with this cross platform solution that offers built-in quest sharing and publishing.  The moment I saw it, I shelved my own plans (all the better so I can focus on the other projects).

The new FFG quest editor certainly does look slick.  I intend to try it out at some point to see how it works.

Hopefully there will be an influx of fan-made quests and campaigns now to satisfy all the various itches people have for how they want the game to play =)

#8 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

It certainly does look slick; the only thing I would add is a Playtesting area where comments and advice for changes could be posted, along with a counter or something to show how many times the scenario has been tested.  

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus

#9 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

Zozimus said:

It certainly does look slick; the only thing I would add is a Playtesting area where comments and advice for changes could be posted, along with a counter or something to show how many times the scenario has been tested.  

It actually exists. There is a comments window. When changes are made for a quest, you have the choice of downloading the last or previous versions.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#10 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hm, I guess that would be useful.  I was thinking of something a little more methodical, perhaps, but maybe this will work well, once some time has gone by and enough people have commented and thumbed the quests.  Thanks!

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus

#11 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Hm, I guess that would be useful.  I was thinking of something a little more methodical, perhaps, but maybe this will work well, once some time has gone by and enough people have commented and thumbed the quests.  Thanks!

#12 Durin-V

Durin-V

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

I tried vasal but this is not realy good to create quest whit it.
I mean with a quest a complete quest like the quest handbook from descent itself.

I've seen that FFG afre released (now in Beta) a quest designer.I try to look what is possible with it and decide after that if this map designer is needed any more.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS