• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Laoin

Laoin

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

Hi, fellow Akolythes and GMs.

I'm wondering, if there is any information about the plans FFG has with DH. The last supplement we had was "The Lathe Worlds". Is there any news about the next DH publications I missed?

#2 vehzeel

vehzeel

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

They haven't announced any upcoming books, so we don't know. I'd like to see an overhaul of the rules in a DH 2. It'd be great if it was in GURPS, but another if a DH 2 would happen, it would probably use the skills and talent system from Only War. Not too shabby either.

#3 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Keep in mind that people were saying "The line is dead!" before Lathe Worlds was announced, after Lathe Worlds was announced and after Lathe Worlds came out, so FFG could announced 10 new DH books tomorrow and someone would still say "The line is dead!".

I think it's safe to say that they have plans. I very much doubt they'd abandon it and walk away without even mentioning it. When Tanhauser came to an end they did mention that the expansion they were previewing would be the last one "for a while". I'd expect similar treatment for any of their other long-standing lines, whatever area it may be from.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#4 csabesz

csabesz

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Well, the line isn't dead for sure, but we can't really say it's alive and kicking as well…

If I remember correctly, 2012 has seen one release (maybe another adventure too? Can't remember for sure) which can suggest certain things and it's no wonder that people were (and are) speculating if the line has been abandoned. 

What I suspect the case is that FFG has five W40K RPGs to tend to and their writers might as well write for the Star Wars RPG too. Dark Heresy is the oldest brother and does suffer because of that - I mean I don't see Rogue Trader, Deathwatch or BC supplements slowing down. Which is bad (from my personal point of view :) ) because I still like DH, kinda like RT but couldn't care less for the other lines, including Only War.

Of course FFG will put resources where the money is and that's understandable. :D I'm just a little sad to see DH getting less and less attention.

#5 Ovid

Ovid

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Once OW has been battle-tested some more, I would be all over a 2e that brought DH into line with the most recent rules developments.

#6 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

But please no classless affinity selection, I hate those. It just removes some of the excitement of reaching the next rank and now you can perform this awesome new talent, or know a new skill, with BC, it felt like I was powergaming trying to get the best talents and well, anyone could get anything. I liked how some careers never got some stuff or got it later on. It made the careers different and it was nice looking over a new rank table and seeing what you wanted, how to spend your XP.

#7 LordBlades

LordBlades

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Cymbel said:

But please no classless affinity selection, I hate those. It just removes some of the excitement of reaching the next rank and now you can perform this awesome new talent, or know a new skill, with BC, it felt like I was powergaming trying to get the best talents and well, anyone could get anything. I liked how some careers never got some stuff or got it later on. It made the careers different and it was nice looking over a new rank table and seeing what you wanted, how to spend your XP.

On the other hand, a classless system does give more flexiblity. In Dark Heresy there's just a few skills that a given class can't get regardless of circumstances without GM intervention (as elite advances).

#8 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Okay, a classless refined elite advance system would be great, but still let careers have their tables

#9 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Maybe I'm just an Old School geezer, but I like having classes/careers!

Probably a side-effect of being introduced to rpgs with AD&D

#10 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Careers and career paths are part of DH as much as multi-table advance schemes are part of Deathwatch. Each game does advances a little differently, and I'd rather than unique aspect of each game remain rather than everything becoming class-less archetypes.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#11 LordBlades

LordBlades

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Adeptus-B said:

Maybe I'm just an Old School geezer, but I like having classes/careers!

Probably a side-effect of being introduced to rpgs with AD&D

Some multiclassing would be nice though:)

#12 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

That is what Alt Ranks and Elite Advances are for

#13 LordBlades

LordBlades

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Cymbel said:

That is what Alt Ranks and Elite Advances are for

Alternate ranks and elite advances give you access to some new character concepts the people who wrote them considered cool.

A true multiclasing system (like 3.5 D&D) gives you access to any concept you(the player) consider cool.

I think the current ruleset of Dark Heresy is pretty solid , but there's just a few concent you simply can't do. For example, take a regular guardsman who one day discovers he has psychic powers and decides he wants to develop this aspect further. If this happens in the character's background, no problem: take the Psyker class, buy some appropriate weapon trainings and you're golden.  Doing that in game(starting off as a guardsman who discovers his psychic powers) on the other hand is much harder. You could get the Nascent Psyker elite advance, but that only gives you 1 power and you can't improve on it, or you could take Warp Dabbler, but that's Chaos Sorcery mainly.

#14 Laoin

Laoin

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

I would like to see more stand-alone-adventures, especially for low- and mid-level Akolythes. Empire-shaking intrigues and plots so save whole sectors are not my style, to be honest. I prefer the dirty basic Inquistion work: the chaos cult around the next corner of the macropole; the nice little xeno infiltration of a trading company or a planetary government; the casual demon, ready to devour a few more of his heathen followers; the two-faced rival Inquistor playing strange games…

#15 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Normally I prefer non-class systems but I think that the class system in DH works very well and wouldn't want to change it. But then again I probably wouldn't cry if some of the rules were tightened up a bit.

#16 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Laoin said:

I would like to see more stand-alone-adventures, especially for low- and mid-level Akolythes. Empire-shaking intrigues and plots so save whole sectors are not my style, to be honest. I prefer the dirty basic Inquistion work: the chaos cult around the next corner of the macropole; the nice little xeno infiltration of a trading company or a planetary government; the casual demon, ready to devour a few more of his heathen followers; the two-faced rival Inquistor playing strange games…

I'd like to see more one-shot adventures, too. I don't dislike big, epic missions, but the can be difficult to insert into an ongoing campaign. Good, short missions, on the other hand, can be very useful, dropped in as needed to moderate the pacing of the campaign or to 'stall for time' as the GM developes a larger story arc.

As long as we are presenting our 'wish lists', I'll repeat two things I've asked for in other threads: an Ordo Xenos sourcebook, and either a big Calixis Sector sourcebook or multiple, smaller Subsector sourcebooks.

#17 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Calixis Sector Sourcebook in a vein of DW Jericho reach would be wonderful, and I still think that Puritan Sourcebook is necessary (and no, Blood of Martyrs is NOT Puritan Sourcebook) for writeup of more Inquisition factions and philosophies. Im not sure about rules redux despite my love for only war, but at least basic mechanics, combat and skills and talents should be amended (ie. Stealth instead of Shadowing and Silent Move for Example) and some conversion guide be given.

From other surcebooks, Tyranite Cabal and splatbooks for Adepts and Psykers (with Astropath from RT), Guardsman (and how to incorporate DH and OW) would be nice.

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#18 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

LordBlades said:

Cymbel said:

I think the current ruleset of Dark Heresy is pretty solid , but there's just a few concent you simply can't do. For example, take a regular guardsman who one day discovers he has psychic powers and decides he wants to develop this aspect further. If this happens in the character's background, no problem: take the Psyker class, buy some appropriate weapon trainings and you're golden.  Doing that in game(starting off as a guardsman who discovers his psychic powers) on the other hand is much harder. You could get the Nascent Psyker elite advance, but that only gives you 1 power and you can't improve on it, or you could take Warp Dabbler, but that's Chaos Sorcery mainly.

Switching your career to become an Imperial Psyker is impossible in the world of 40K. Psykers are carefully selected (most are simply killed) and then shipped to Terra where they undergo years or even decades of training and indoctrination. If you survive this ordeal you will be Psyker for life. You do not choose to become a Psyker.

The career system of Dark Heresy is a good representation of the rigid society in 40K. Some switches would make sense, most wouldn't, and some are downright ridiculous.

#19 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I didn't say that….

On that note though, there are a couple options in DH to become a psyker:

• Imperial Psyker Career (Core): Duh
  • Nascent Psyker Advance (IH): Limited but does give you powers
  • Wyrd Background (RH): Makes you a limited psyker with one power, but a good control over it
  • Adept (Core): One of the career paths gives you a psy rating
  • Ordo Sicarius Initiate (DH): Gives you the option for Psy Rating 1
  • Mind's Eye Opens (Asc): Psy Rating 1
  • Inquisitor/Interrogator option (Asc), which lets you get Psy Ratings I believe

And here are some other possible ways to get Psyker powers (or possible Sorcerer)

• Daemonic Pact (Core): Up to the GM
  • Thy Name I Keep (RH): See Above
  • Daemon Vessel (RH): Elite Advance, one effect can give you Psy 4

And then you have sorcerer packages and possibiliies

• Forsaken Priest (RH): Yep
  • Imperial Diviner (RH): Yep
  • Malefic Scholar (RH): Yep
  • Tainted Psyker (RH): Yep
  • Warp Dabbler (RH): Yep

Then there should be some in the Lathe Worlds, but I don't really own that book (just looked at a friend's copy), so I can't help you there, BUT there are many ways to be a psyker in 40k, just to be an IMPERIAL psyker, aka SANCTIONED and trained, is harder, I see only the Psyker career, the Ascension options, the adept branched path and MAYBE the Ordo Sicarius Initiate path (though it isn't spelled out)

#20 LordBlades

LordBlades

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Dok Martin said:

LordBlades said:

Cymbel said:

Switching your career to become an Imperial Psyker is impossible in the world of 40K. Psykers are carefully selected (most are simply killed) and then shipped to Terra where they undergo years or even decades of training and indoctrination. If you survive this ordeal you will be Psyker for life. You do not choose to become a Psyker.

The career system of Dark Heresy is a good representation of the rigid society in 40K. Some switches would make sense, most wouldn't, and some are downright ridiculous.

That was me saying it. Qoute system tends to do that if you try to delete parts of the message

Psykers aren't selected at brith. Many had a life in which they did something else before their psychic powers being discovered. That was my point: having somebody who does something else for a living and then at some point discovers he's gt psychic powers and wants to focus on that (even without sanctioning) is impossible to do for some career paths(like scum or guardsman) if you want to play it out in game (as opposed to in your background).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS