Photo

New (expensive) PDF for Enemy Within - Now usable without box?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 socratim

socratim

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I know before the pdfs where not usable as a standalone since cards with important information where not included.

But seeing the price for the new Enemy-Pdf and the fact that DrivethroughRPG does not have the "not complete"-text attached, is this pdf sufficient to play the campaign?

#2 Karma Kollapse

Karma Kollapse

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

socratim said:

I know before the pdfs where not usable as a standalone since cards with important information where not included.

But seeing the price for the new Enemy-Pdf and the fact that DrivethroughRPG does not have the "not complete"-text attached, is this pdf sufficient to play the campaign?

I don't know if the pdf includes further information from the cards, but most of the non-book bits from the new box were nice-but-not-required elements like location and clue cards, or repeated components from other boxes (e.g. monster cards). The questions and traits from the background cards are repeated in the book, but the once-per-session abilities and creation bonuses aren't.

The campaign would be perfectly playable with just the book imho, there might be a couple of loose ends but nothing game-breaking - you'd still get the npc stats in the appendices, etc.

At half the retail price of the box, I don't think it is a bad deal.

#3 socratim

socratim

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Nice! That really sounds like a deal, then!

#4 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

If you are playing the 3rd Edition I wouldn't just stick with the PDF.

You don't get the NPC standups, like Karl Franz and all the main Persons from the adventure, making it hard for my Players to keep to know who is who.

Also you will miss a bunch of NPC Actioncards and exra Spells for one of the Main NPCs.

The missing plans and Handouts are minimal. They arent that great. The Middenheim Map is a small copy of the one from the 2nd Edition Middenheim Adventure.

So if you just want to lead the adventure you can go with the PDF, if you want to make it 3rd Edition like you should buy the box.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS