Odd Screw Up in Regiment Creation Rules

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Magus Black

Magus Black

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Looking through the new book I noticed right off the bat a strange mistake they made in the Regiment Creation Rules section, that being Favored Weapons.

As currently written

“Each regiment has weapons that  its members prefer to wield, or have a natural aptitude for. Each regiment may choose one Basic Weapon and one Heavy Weapon to be their Favoured Weapons, these weapons must be Very Rare or more available . Members of this Regiment gain a +10 bonus on all Logistics Tests to obtain those weapons and ammunition for them.”

Bolded for emphasis, as can be seen this is in direct confrontation with the Beta test and is (somewhat amusingly) contradicted by the Core Rules itself as there are 5 canon regiments that do not follow this (Cadian Shock Troops, Catachan Jungle Fighters, Mordian Iron Guard, Tallarn Desert Raiders, and Vostroyan Firstborn).

…In fact almost all the canon Regiments ignore it so I have to ask if this was simply a mistake (wasn’t suppose to be there) or was simply an example of poorly-implemented, last-second change. Anyone with an answer?

#2 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I just find it highly amusing there's multiple things spotted in the beta that they even acknowledged, but forgot to fix in the core book

#3 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Magus Black said:

Looking through the new book I noticed right off the bat a strange mistake they made in the Regiment Creation Rules section, that being Favored Weapons.

As currently written

“Each regiment has weapons that  its members prefer to wield, or have a natural aptitude for. Each regiment may choose one Basic Weapon and one Heavy Weapon to be their Favoured Weapons, these weapons must be Very Rare or more available . Members of this Regiment gain a +10 bonus on all Logistics Tests to obtain those weapons and ammunition for them.”

Bolded for emphasis, as can be seen this is in direct confrontation with the Beta test and is (somewhat amusingly) contradicted by the Core Rules itself as there are 5 canon regiments that do not follow this (Cadian Shock Troops, Catachan Jungle Fighters, Mordian Iron Guard, Tallarn Desert Raiders, and Vostroyan Firstborn).

…In fact almost all the canon Regiments ignore it so I have to ask if this was simply a mistake (wasn’t suppose to be there) or was simply an example of poorly-implemented, last-second change. Anyone with an answer?

I am little confused what seems to be the problem here.

from last beta update (number 7) it is stated:

"Favoured Weapons (page 33): Add the following section after the Equipment from Doctrines section:

“Favoured Weapons: Each regiment has weapons that its members prefer to wield, or simply have a natural aptitude for. Each regiment may choose one
Basic weapon and one Heavy Weapon to be their Favoured Weapons, these weapons mat not have an Availability higher than Very Rare. Members of this Regiment gain a +10 bonus on all Logictics Tests to obtain those weapons and ammunition for them.”

And your description from Corebook supplement each other.

You can choose weapons from Availability: Ubiquitous to Very Rare

Well this is only my own interpretation of the rules but seems right to me

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#4 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Aye, I don't see the issue either - seems fine to me.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#5 Magus Black

Magus Black

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

*raises eyebrow* Look at the new wording again it says “must be Very Rare or MORE” meaning the lowest the weapons availability it can be is Very Rare and the highest weapons that can be chosen are Unique (as there is nothing higher than that).

The Old Version says “No weapons HIGHER than Very Rare” the new version says “No weapons LOWER than Very Rare” that’s a major difference. With the current rules you can chose for your Regiment Favored Base Weapon to be Inferno Pistols, one of the rarest guns in the Imperium, and have more of them fielded than the Inquisition could hope to do.

#6 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

Magus Black said:

*raises eyebrow* Look at the new wording again it says “must be Very Rare or MORE” meaning the lowest the weapons availability it can be is Very Rare and the highest weapons that can be chosen are Unique (as there is nothing higher than that).

The Old Version says “No weapons HIGHER than Very Rare” the new version says “No weapons LOWER than Very Rare” that’s a major difference. With the current rules you can chose for your Regiment Favored Base Weapon to be Inferno Pistols, one of the rarest guns in the Imperium, and have more of them fielded than the Inquisition could hope to do.

I think you're purposely misreading that sentence, given you missed out a crucial word in the sentence. It actually says "must be Very Rare or more available", which means the exact opposite of what you said - it means you can chose from a Very Rare weapon, or one that is more available, which means exactly the same as "no weapons higher than Very Rare".

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#7 Magus Black

Magus Black

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

…Gah! Your right, sorry I blame this on over-thinking, a lack of sleep and no decaf. I need a vaction…

#8 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Magus Black said:

…Gah! Your right, sorry I blame this on over-thinking, a lack of sleep and no decaf. I need a vaction…

I hear Cadia is nice this time of year, and only a 90% chance of heretic insurgents blowing up your barracks… I mean hotel.

#9 Magus Black

Magus Black

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

MILLANDSON said:

I hear Cadia is nice this time of year, and only a 90% chance of heretic insurgents blowing up your barracks… I mean hotel.

Cant be any worse than going to Australia~ I mean Catachan, everything was trying to kill me.

#10 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Magus Black said:

MILLANDSON said:

Cant be any worse than going to Australia~ I mean Catachan, everything was trying to kill me.

Australia, the one place that has the term "Dire" implied before the name, rather than stated.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS